Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image Editing Ergonomics:  (Read 7200 times)

The View

Image Editing Ergonomics:
« on: June 11, 2008, 08:45:58 pm »

Some of you will think the chair you are sitting in isn't part of image editing.

Oh yes, it is. I just dislocated a vertebrae, and no image editing for a while.

What are you using to get your back safely through hours and hours of image editing?

I know there is the Herman Miller Aeron chair, but it costs 1000$ and I'm not sure if this is the gold standard of ergonomic work chairs.

Key is good lumbar support.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Mike Boden

• http://www.mikeboden.com
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:02:24 pm »

I'll tell you this. I've been sitting in an Aeron Chair at various studios that I've worked at over the last ten years, and I'm not a big fan. They might be ergonomic, but they're sure not very cushy.
Mike Boden - www.mikeboden.com
Instagram

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 09:07:20 pm »

How about a 1930 oak wine barrel.

Cheers,
Bernard

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 09:58:10 pm »

The ergonomic chair is one that fits you properly.  I've had the Herman Miller Aeron and its OK but for me I have to look for some other qualities.  I'm 6'5" and if the back of the chair isn't tall enough then it doesn't matter how nice the padding is on my tush.  Amazingly I found an office chair at Office Depot a few years ago that had a tall enough back and cost around $150.   Its been all I need.  The padding is comfortable, its fabric and not leather (I'm not a fan of leather) and the lumbar support is adequate.
Regards,
Ron

The View

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 10:41:52 pm »

How about a 1930 oak wine barrel.

Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201018\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Filled with red wine?

And a hose, so you can sip while editing?

Then, really, cheers!

Just, don't edit and drive, then.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 10:43:07 pm »

The ergonomic chair is one that fits you properly.  I've had the Herman Miller Aeron and its OK but for me I have to look for some other qualities.  I'm 6'5" and if the back of the chair isn't tall enough then it doesn't matter how nice the padding is on my tush.  Amazingly I found an office chair at Office Depot a few years ago that had a tall enough back and cost around $150.   Its been all I need.  The padding is comfortable, its fabric and not leather (I'm not a fan of leather) and the lumbar support is adequate.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201023\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm shopping around, but most chairs I see are just back killers with a contract.

The View

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 11:36:37 pm »

I'll tell you this. I've been sitting in an Aeron Chair at various studios that I've worked at over the last ten years, and I'm not a big fan. They might be ergonomic, but they're sure not very cushy.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201015\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried them out. They are comfortable.

But sitting in them in the show room is one thing, working on them another.

Thanks for the feedback.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 11:41:10 pm »

Aeron for me for several years now.  I really like it.  I've had a more expensive ergonomic chair that wasn't as good.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 12:09:57 am »

neutral posture and ergocentric make a good chair, available from commercial office outfitters. This was the institutional standard where I used to work and kept the health and safety guy happy.
but
for half the price I have a chair from staples that works fine, however its the mousing that is problematic with my shoulder. That is more a desk set up issue than a chair issue however.
google the above, the saffron or rio models are both good.

The View

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 01:46:25 am »

Aeron for me for several years now.  I really like it.  I've had a more expensive ergonomic chair that wasn't as good.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201043\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the imput, Nill. Good to know that there ARE happy users of this chair.

The View

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 01:50:43 am »

neutral posture and ergocentric make a good chair, available from commercial office outfitters. This was the institutional standard where I used to work and kept the health and safety guy happy.
but
for half the price I have a chair from staples that works fine, however its the mousing that is problematic with my shoulder. That is more a desk set up issue than a chair issue however.
google the above, the saffron or rio models are both good.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201048\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Rusty.

I'll drop by Office Depot and Staples, maybe they changed their lines of chairs.

I'll check out neutral posture and ergocentric.

I guess I'll buy the best chair, even if it costs as much as a good lens. Because this can happen to you anytime, and what if it happens just a day before a big shoot? You lose more than just the price of a chair.

But, of course, one has to choose what fits. Sometimes the more expensive chair is not so good, because it's sacrificed ergonomics for prettiness.

I'll go out and try all those chairs recommended here, and get the best, no matter what price tag.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 09:35:05 am »

This place sells the Aeron chair on the web, apparently at a discount.  I don't know anything about them other than that they advertise ("sponsor") on NPR.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 01:01:01 pm »

I guess I'll buy the best chair, even if it costs as much as a good lens. Because this can happen to you anytime, and what if it happens just a day before a big shoot? You lose more than just the price of a chair.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201064\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That's pretty much the view I took. I bought an Aeron and am very happy with it. It was pricey, but the cost was a lot less than being off work for a week with a bad back!

Jeremy
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 01:01:32 pm by kikashi »

seangirard

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 05:27:40 pm »

You might want to check this similar thread over on Slashdot. Lots of Aeron fans but some other ideas as well:

http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/08/06/12/1815232.shtml

At work I use two chairs stacked on top of one another but that's a whole other story.

-sean
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 05:28:39 pm by seangirard »

The View

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 07:25:04 pm »

This place sells the Aeron chair on the web, apparently at a discount.  I don't know anything about them other than that they advertise ("sponsor") on NPR.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201115\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They are strong with advertising. When you google "Aeron Chair", they get one of the top spots.

The View

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 07:26:15 pm »

You might want to check this similar thread over on Slashdot. Lots of Aeron fans but some other ideas as well:

http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/08/06/12/1815232.shtml

At work I use two chairs stacked on top of one another but that's a whole other story.

-sean
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201227\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for this helpful link. That site seems to be a great resource.
Pages: [1]   Go Up