Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Hot Full Frame Autumn: New Cameras  (Read 48206 times)

The View

Hot Full Frame Autumn: New Cameras
« on: June 11, 2008, 05:58:32 pm »

For those looking to upgrade their gear there are a lot of new full frame cameras expected for later this year.

Sony A 900 (I really like the way Sony cameras handle, and am very curious about this model)

Canon 5D MkII  (one day, there won't be rumors, but a camera of this name, love the 5D, this one must be great)

Nikon D10 (mid-range full frame, rumored)

http://www.photographybay.com/

Very exciting for those, who prefer full frame over aps-c, finally there's going to be choices!

Can't be too bad for the pricing of these new cameras.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 07:23:10 pm »

Nikon D10 (mid-range full frame, rumored)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200982\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are forgetting the D3x, IMHO the most interesting rumours of all.

Cheers,
Bernard

The View

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 12:18:47 am »

The Sony is going to be 25 Megapixel.

I'm not sure if I want that at this moment. Between 13 and 15 is golden. Manageable file sizes, and good detail.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 02:09:02 am »

Lots of guesses I'd say at this stage. With all the rumors out there, one is bound to turn out right. ^_~

jonstewart

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 07:23:03 am »

The Sony is going to be 25 Megapixel.

I'm not sure if I want that at this moment. Between 13 and 15 is golden. Manageable file sizes, and good detail.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201497\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

13-15 is probably the best quality you can get out of a 35mm ff sensor. Yes, you can get bigger images, but probably no better!

If the 5DII has 16 (as rumoured) then this would be a great camera.
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 08:16:22 am »

You are forgetting the D3x, IMHO the most interesting rumours of all.

Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200993\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The rumor, that in fact becomes reality. Few days ago Nikon Poland asked Polish Nikon Useres Club to make their headquaters available for presentation of mysterious "new Nikon products". The presentation will take palce on 5-th of july, so one can expect, that Nikon should offically present new products before the end of June (I've heard something about 26th). The last time Nikon asked Polish Nikon Club to host a presentation, was the polish premiere of Nikon D3 and D300...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 08:16:47 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Plekto

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 07:48:33 pm »

I really have always liked the Minolta/now Sony cameras a lot more than the others in terms of their lenses and features, but they didn't have a serious competitor to the overpriced Canons.  

I'm looking forward to this.   Hopefully it has nice "fat" pixels without much if any AA - so that it bumps into lower-end MF territory.  

Of course I really want Foveon to do something aggressive.  A higher resolution DB - say 4000x4000 true square format)  I'd even be happy with 3000X3000.  2,652 × 1,768 isn't quite good enough to compete with the new crop of 15-25MP cameras.  3000*3000 in a DB for say, $2,000 - that would be amazing.

Well, I can dream, no?  

BryanHansel

• www.bryanhansel.com
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 07:35:21 pm »

Don't forget the D700, which I'd probably buy in a second.
Bryan Hansel
[url=http://www.paddling

telyt

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 09:20:11 pm »

Leica R10, rumored to be larger than full frame.

BJL

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 12:21:02 pm »

Leica R10, rumored to be larger than full frame.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203474\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Any Leica R10 is strongly indicated to be for use with existing Leica R 35mm format lenses (along with some new AF ones?), and this requires it to be in a format no larger than 35mm.

There is a  rumor of an R10 in a format larger than the 18x24mm of the R back and M8. Beyond that, there might be baseless speculation or wishful thinking about Leica adopting a format larger than 35mm, but I would not dignify it with the name rumor, which should supported by at least some hint of argument or evidence or reliable sources, not just wishful thinking.

P. S. On more credible rumors, I would be interested to see how the expected 12MP Nikon D700 and the long-awaited 25MP Sony flagship fare in competition, along with an expected new Canon model at some intermediate pixel count (my guess: a 5DMkII with 21MP, same as the 1DsMkIII).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 12:28:54 pm by BJL »

douglasf13

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 04:35:41 pm »

Any Leica R10 is strongly indicated to be for use with existing Leica R 35mm format lenses (along with some new AF ones?), and this requires it to be in a format no larger than 35mm.

There is a  rumor of an R10 in a format larger than the 18x24mm of the R back and M8. Beyond that, there might be baseless speculation or wishful thinking about Leica adopting a format larger than 35mm, but I would not dignify it with the name rumor, which should supported by at least some hint of argument or evidence or reliable sources, not just wishful thinking.
P. S. On more credible rumors, I would be interested to see how the expected 12MP Nikon D700 and the long-awaited 25MP Sony flagship fare in competition, along with an expected new Canon model at some intermediate pixel count (my guess: a 5DMkII with 21MP, same as the 1DsMkIII).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203816\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I highly doubt that the 5DII will be use the 1Ds III sensor.  If anything, it'll probably have a 16mp like the 1Ds II.  I'm sure Canon is more concerned with the Nikon D700 than the Sony A900, and I'm betting the 5DII's megapixels will reflect that.  That'll leave the A900 in a nice little niche, being "affordable" and high res.

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 07:17:14 pm »

Beyond that, there might be baseless speculation or wishful thinking about Leica adopting a format larger than 35mm, but I would not dignify it with the name rumor, which should supported by at least some hint of argument or evidence or reliable sources, not just wishful thinking.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203816\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, if a 35mm lens will cover 24X36mm at the film plane, it will also cover other permutations of dimensions that don't exceed the image circle required for 24X36. It's preposterous, but imagine a round sensor.

Personally, I actually like square images, perhaps having gotten used to composing with Hasselblad Cs and Rolleiflex TLRs. So, I've always dreamed of a square format SLR in 35mm form factor. Which would be possible, and I suppose might even exceed the sensor area of current "full frame" DSLR sensors, while still not going beyond the image circle of a 35mm lens.

But I will bet a very large sum of money that Leica isn't working on one, and neither is any other major manufacturer. If I'm proven wrong, I guess I'll just have to go buy one...

Er1kksen

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 09:34:09 pm »

Well, if a 35mm lens will cover 24X36mm at the film plane, it will also cover other permutations of dimensions that don't exceed the image circle required for 24X36. It's preposterous, but imagine a round sensor.

Personally, I actually like square images, perhaps having gotten used to composing with Hasselblad Cs and Rolleiflex TLRs. So, I've always dreamed of a square format SLR in 35mm form factor. Which would be possible, and I suppose might even exceed the sensor area of current "full frame" DSLR sensors, while still not going beyond the image circle of a 35mm lens.

But I will bet a very large sum of money that Leica isn't working on one, and neither is any other major manufacturer. If I'm proven wrong, I guess I'll just have to go buy one...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203873\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Keep in mind that Leica is a member of the four-thirds consortium... not that that's particularly relevant in itself, but it bears the speculation that the new sensor could have a four:three aspect ratio more reminiscent of medium format but designed for the 35mm lens circle, and having the potential for greater vertical resolution at the same pixel pitch as a 24x36 sensor.

The View

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 01:28:02 am »

13-15 is probably the best quality you can get out of a 35mm ff sensor. Yes, you can get bigger images, but probably no better!

If the 5DII has 16 (as rumoured) then this would be a great camera.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201523\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Absolutely.

The 5D is already a great camera, and handles very well. Compared to it, the 40D is almost the same size, but an ergonomic nightmare with too small a handle and your nose rubbing the screen.

This camera is all the way on top of my wish list...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 01:32:15 am by The View »

The View

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 01:29:31 am »

I really have always liked the Minolta/now Sony cameras a lot more than the others in terms of their lenses and features, but they didn't have a serious competitor to the overpriced Canons. 

I'm looking forward to this.   Hopefully it has nice "fat" pixels without much if any AA - so that it bumps into lower-end MF territory. 

Of course I really want Foveon to do something aggressive.  A higher resolution DB - say 4000x4000 true square format)  I'd even be happy with 3000X3000.  2,652 × 1,768 isn't quite good enough to compete with the new crop of 15-25MP cameras.  3000*3000 in a DB for say, $2,000 - that would be amazing.

Well, I can dream, no? 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201980\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, the Foveon sensor sounds interesting. They don't seem to have the kind of money to get ahead, but the concept could pop up with a very interesting sensor one day.

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 02:48:42 pm »

Keep in mind that Leica is a member of the four-thirds consortium... not that that's particularly relevant in itself, but it bears the speculation that the new sensor could have a four:three aspect ratio more reminiscent of medium format but designed for the 35mm lens circle, and having the potential for greater vertical resolution at the same pixel pitch as a 24x36 sensor.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203881\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sounds good to me. I rarely print anything in dimensions other than 4X5 or square. I put a lot of 16X9 shots on the web, in digital photo frames, etc. So, the standard 35mm frame at 2:3 doesn't work for what I need to do most.

The View

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 12:45:21 pm »

I'm really curious at what price level those cameras will settle.

Full frame sensors seem to come down in price.

And the body size is just ideal. The 5D, for example, is only a fraction larger than the 40d.

telyt

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 12:51:18 pm »

Leica's owner Dr. Kaufmann and also the R product manager have both hinted that the next Leica reflex will be larger than full frame.  Existing R lenses can be accommodated by limiting non-ROM lenses to 24x36mm, and the camera can use ROM information to determine if lenses can cover the larger format.

reillynevada

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 01:10:17 am »

I'm really curious at what price level those cameras will settle.

Full frame sensors seem to come down in price.

And the body size is just ideal. The 5D, for example, is only a fraction larger than the 40d.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204202\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am saving my money for the 5D Mark II...but when will it really happen?

Yoram from Berlin

• Yoram Roth Photography
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 03:11:14 am »

Nikon D700 released.

DP Review Hands-On Preview
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 03:11:45 am by Iron Flatline »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up