Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable Battery for location Kit  (Read 24465 times)

Studio12NYC

Portable Battery for location Kit
« on: June 10, 2008, 01:18:20 pm »

Hello,

Does anyone have a solution other than a generator that could be pre charged and taken on location?  Maybe multiple units to last through out the day.

Where we are going we cannot use generator.

Thanks

Shedaoshai

• http://
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 01:32:20 pm »

Hello,

Does anyone have a solution other than a generator that could be pre charged and taken on location?  Maybe multiple units to last through out the day.

Where we are going we cannot use generator.

Thanks
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

what usage?

checkt out: [a href=\"http://www.bron.ch/bc_pd_ps_en/detail.php?nr=14311]http://www.bron.ch/bc_pd_ps_en/detail.php?nr=14311[/url]

or http://www.innovatronix.com/
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 01:33:28 pm by Shedaoshai »

Studio12NYC

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 01:47:39 pm »

Thanks so much!!

That is exactly it!  

I am sure two or three of those on location will power a laptop, a few hard drives and Digiback for the day.

Thanks again!!!

BJNY

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 01:53:37 pm »

Please let us know how it works out.
Guillermo

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 02:27:59 pm »

I put together my own solution. 1800W continuous, 230VAC, pure sinewave. I use it for almost all my shoots.

N.B.: It needs to be a PURE SINEWAVE unit or you can damage some electronics.

I could probably supply some 3000W units for about €1440, 1200W units for €500 or 650W for €270, for example. You would need to add your own 12V sealed battery and charger. No point in me shipping those because they are heavy and available everywhere.

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 03:28:54 pm »

The Dynalite XP 1100 is a nice unit too:

http://dynalite.com/battery_power.shtml

It is a little more expensive than some units, but it also has much more *real* power available than units like the Innovatronix.

Compare recycle times for higher wattage power packs on each - like 1.5 seconds on the XP vs. 25 seconds on the Tronix. I think the Tronixis is really 150 watts (despite claims), the XP is a true 1100 watt unit.

You can swap batteries in the XP, so the price levels out compared to the Tronix if you need multiple units.

I used to have an XP 1100 until I bought Broncolor Mobil packs with their own battery.

Best,
Michael

Snook

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 06:44:27 pm »

The Dynalite XP 1100 is a nice unit too:

http://dynalite.com/battery_power.shtml
It is a little more expensive than some units, but it also has much more *real* power available than units like the Innovatronix.

Compare recycle times for higher wattage power packs on each - like 1.5 seconds on the XP vs. 25 seconds on the Tronix. I think the Tronixis is really 150 watts (despite claims), the XP is a true 1100 watt unit.

You can swap batteries in the XP, so the price levels out compared to the Tronix if you need multiple units.

I used to have an XP 1100 until I bought Broncolor Mobil packs with their own battery.

Best,
Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200782\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yeh but there you getting into what a Little profoto 600R cost.. and guess what. I would much rather have the Profoto o even a Hensel Kit with a profoto acute head.
But definitely good for Computers etc....
Snook

elitegroup

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 07:45:31 pm »

Thanks so much!!

That is exactly it! 

I am sure two or three of those on location will power a laptop, a few hard drives and Digiback for the day.

Thanks again!!!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually sorry, I just realized my question had already been answered above  

I read a review on the newer Explorer XT over the older Explorer 1200 [a href=\"http://www.studiolighting.net/roduct-review-innovatronix-tronix-explorer-xt]http://www.studiolighting.net/roduct-revie...nix-explorer-xt[/url] seems like a very economical pure sine wave inverter @ $349 U.S.

I have enough batteries for the EL Ranger RX AS location packs so there's no problems with portable lighting but does any one know whether the new Tronix Explorer XT would be reliable/dependable as a power source for a laptop or hair dryer on location  

Some times a HONDA EU2000i generator is just to heavy/impractical on some remote locations. I think the Explorer XT only weighs 8KG's
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 07:57:05 pm by elitegroup »

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 08:04:18 pm »

Check the ALIEN BEES solution. They are regular self contained flash heads, with the difference that it doesn't use voltage transformers but circuit multipliers. This lets you use a very low power battery  + inverter (15amp + 150 watt pure sine wave) which is the one they sell. This works very well. I shot over 60gbs of images this weekend in a very humid location at the beach. I took 2 spare batteries and kept rotating them. If you want more power you can make your own system as long as you remember to use only pure sine wave inverters. Modified wave will damage the units. Just get a bigger inverter and bigger batteries and you are set to go. These lights are cheap, excellent quality, very reliable, lightweight and small, which make them perfect for a portable solution. And their service is great.

Sean Reginald Knight

• Awaiting Authorisation
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 08:22:53 pm »

There's the Elektrona from Slovenia : http://www.elektrona.si .

It's really not difficult to make your own: a pure sine-wave inverter, a deep cycle sealed gel cell and you're good to go.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 08:38:38 pm by Sean Reginald Knight »

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 09:43:11 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200765\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Rather than guessing you should check the maximum current drain for each of the devices you intend to use and add up the total consumption. Then add some headroom and you'll know which units to look at. Some of the units posted above are not powerful enough for very much gear. Even my Macbook Pro adapter states 240V 1.5A which means theoretically up to 360W for that one device alone.

Studio12NYC

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 03:16:28 pm »

Hey Graham,

What you charge to build one that could handle 120 power Macbook Pro 17", with two hard drives attached to it and a digital back?

What would the size and weight be?

What would estimated time of life be?  Would you eb able to make it with removable batteries?

Thanks,

SO

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 04:20:17 pm »

Hey Graham,

What you charge to build one that could handle 120 power Macbook Pro 17", with two hard drives attached to it and a digital back?

What would the size and weight be?

What would estimated time of life be?  Would you eb able to make it with removable batteries?

Thanks,

SO
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201200\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi, do you mean 120W? 17" Macbook Pros should consume between 50 and 100W depending on whether processor is idle or maxed out, so the 300W for €150 model sounds like more than enough. You would add your own sealed 12V battery and charger, and the life would depend very much on the size of the battery you choose. Building your own is very flexible - the battery determines most of the weight and all the capacity, so you can choose what suits you best.

If you are drawing a constant 60W, for example, then the battery drain will be approximately 5A. If you want this to last for 8 hours then you need an 40Ah capacity battery. I would recommend getting a few smaller batteries (e.g. 40Ah) rather than one huge one. Easier to carry around and if you don't need the huge capacity you can just bring one.

Size and weight of the 300W model is 2.25kg, H=68mm, W=170mm, L=260mm

n.b. I don't know where you live but output is 230 VAC, and the socket is the standard European type. I think all Macbook pro adapters come with a euro plug and can take the voltage anyway, but just wanted to make sure you are aware. I don't know your location.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 05:00:03 pm »

FYI

Invotronix are a bargain but they dont work on digitally controlled flashes

only old ones like the Elly Classic 500s

not  on DLites etc

(Edit - not the old model anyway)

I think they would do a laptop but a hairdryer would kill it pretty fast - we tried some Photon Beard flourecents on it - no way - about 5 mins !

SMM
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 05:03:24 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 05:16:32 pm »

does any one know whether the new Tronix Explorer XT would be reliable/dependable as a power source for a laptop or hair dryer on location   

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200828\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Laptop? Yes, but it only has a capacity of 14Ah, so that won't last more than a couple of hours. My Macbook Pro battery is 5.6Ah and it lasts about an hour from full charge. Hopeless.

As for hair dryer, absolutely not. The continuous power output is 325W. Hair dryers are typically 1000W+
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 05:19:33 pm by foto-z »

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 06:23:01 pm »

Laptop? Yes, but it only has a capacity of 14Ah, so that won't last more than a couple of hours. My Macbook Pro battery is 5.6Ah and it lasts about an hour from full charge. Hopeless.

As for hair dryer, absolutely not. The continuous power output is 325W. Hair dryers are typically 1000W+
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201224\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unless your in an area where you can't run a generator get a Honda 2000.  They're magic and have saved me 50 times.

JR

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 06:43:38 pm »

Unless your in an area where you can't run a generator get a Honda 2000.  They're magic and have saved me 50 times.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201239\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry, can't agree that they are the best solution. Good, but not the best. The inverter I plan to upgrade to is 3000W pure sinewave, 6000W for 5 seconds peaks, no mechanical parts so more reliable, silent, no pollution (making it suitable for indoor locations), and no fuelling hassle. I already have the 1800W version but I want even more.

James R Russell

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 06:49:13 pm »

Sorry, can't agree that they are the best solution. Good, but not the best. The inverter I plan to upgrade to is 3000W pure sinewave, 6000W for 5 seconds peaks, no mechanical parts so more reliable, silent, no pollution (making it suitable for indoor locations), and no fuelling hassle. I already have the 1800W version but I want even more.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201243\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, whatever, but try running two hmi's off of an inverter all day, or when the hair/makeup keeps blowing the breakers running stingers all over the room to seperate the circuits.

I have two hondas, and have run a full interior set off of them when the power went down in one location for day.

I think they're magic and I don't know how to tell you this but just because electricty comes out of a little clean hole, most of it is made from a big machine that is polluting like crazy.

JR

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 06:55:10 pm »

I don't know how to tell you this but just because electricty comes out of a little clean hole, most of it is made from a big machine that is polluting like crazy.
JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201244\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Haha, wasn't born yesterday

I meant local pollution, of course. Wouldn't want to shoot all day in a poorly ventilated space running one of those. Not criticizing anyone's choice, I just think people should see that there are alternatives which have advantages.

James R Russell

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 07:02:32 pm »

Haha, wasn't born yesterday

I meant local pollution, of course. Wouldn't want to shoot all day in a poorly ventilated space running one of those. Not criticizing anyone's choice, I just think people should see that there are alternatives which have advantages.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201245\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Batteries are ok for a small shoot and I've tried most of them, but none of them lived up to my expectations or produced the amount of power we actually needed.

As you know everytime you convert energy something gets lost and though I wish there was a magic battery, I haven't found one yet.

Those little hondas amaze me and we have stuck them everywhere, outside, in the rain, on rooftops and they just run and run.

The rental studios in NY charge a distro fee (overpriced electricity) and I' ve asked them if I could mount two hondas on the roof and furnish my own.  Of course they said no.

JR
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up