Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3100 Calibrate - Profile  (Read 2586 times)

brianrybolt

HP Z3100 Calibrate - Profile
« on: June 09, 2008, 04:29:08 pm »

I recently purchased a z3100 - 24 inch printer.  I am confused over the issue of Calibrating / Profiling.  How does the printer know which paper I am calibrating?  There seems to be no identification method as to the type of paper - only when you profile it.  How does this work?  Am I missing something?  Also, how can I lengthen the drying time between printing of the Calibration / Profile processes and the scanning of them.  I have always been under impression that the ink needs to dry thoroughly before it's analyzed to create an accurate profile.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Brian

marcsitkin

• marcsitkinphotography
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 04:57:24 pm »

You should let the printer know the material you are using when you load the paper into the printer. This sets the printer up with the proper head height and ink limiting for that type of material. If the proper settings are done, drying time shouldn't be an issue.
Regards,
 Marc Sitkin www.digitalmomentum

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 05:58:30 pm »

This HP Tech Newsletter should help shed some light.  

The printer does indeed wait before reading a printed profile.  HP engineers determined the time they thought was good enough and that's what's baked in.

I use the HP APS and I have the ability to print the target for later reading.  That gives me the discretion on how much I want it to dry.  I haven't used the base profiling in a long time so I'm not sure if you have this option.
Regards,
Ron

brianrybolt

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 06:14:31 pm »

You should let the printer know the material you are using when you load the paper into the printer. This sets the printer up with the proper head height and ink limiting for that type of material. If the proper settings are done, drying time shouldn't be an issue.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200628\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Marc,

I should have mentioned that I am not using HP papers.  I need to find the correct category to place it in for the Calibrating process.  Cheers

brianrybolt

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 06:21:15 pm »

This HP Tech Newsletter should help shed some light. 

The printer does indeed wait before reading a printed profile.  HP engineers determined the time they thought was good enough and that's what's baked in.

I use the HP APS and I have the ability to print the target for later reading.  That gives me the discretion on how much I want it to dry.  I haven't used the base profiling in a long time so I'm not sure if you have this option.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200637\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you Ron,

I've downloaded the Newsletter and this helps as does your remark on Drying time.

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 08:37:26 pm »

Brian,

Found this in the "Using Your Printer" doc.  Use the front panel on the printer.

Change the drying time:
You may wish to change the drying time setting to suit special printing conditions such as multiple prints where time is of higher importance or when you need to be sure ink is dry before handling.

Select the Setup menu icon (a wrench), then Print retrieval> Select drying time. You can select:
● Extended, to set a longer than recommended time to ensure ink is completely dry
● Optimal, to set the default and recommended time for your selected paper
● Reduced, to set a shorter than recommended time when quality is of lower importance
● None, to disable the drying time and remove your print as soon as it finishes printing
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up