Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too much color  (Read 2787 times)

woffles

Too much color
« on: June 08, 2008, 02:54:26 pm »

Hey guys,
I would love to print/have printed the picture below but don't know who can handle it.  I went through all the papers I have softproofing them and none can touch the screen.  I'd love to have this printed up large.  I have an 1800 at home.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Too much color
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 03:34:37 pm »

First I suggest you crop the left side, bit that'a a matter of photographic taste.

Second, I recommend that you desaturate the red a bit.

Third, if you haven't tried this paper yet, check Ilford Gold Fiber Silk. You don't need to buy it to see the effect. Go to the Ilford site, download their profile for the paper and your printer (if they have one - if they don't use the Epson Premium Luster Profile) and see how that looks.

Fourth, try changing the Rendering Intent to Absolute Colorimetric. It will strengthen saturated colour.

Fifth, with a subject this brilliant and saturated you can't expect the print to replicate what you see on the display - transmitted and reflected light produce different effects. That can't be totally eliminated regardless of all the above.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Sven W

Too much color
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 05:12:51 pm »

First I suggest you crop the left side, bit that'a a matter of photographic taste.

Second, I recommend that you desaturate the red a bit.

Third, if you haven't tried this paper yet, check Ilford Gold Fiber Silk. You don't need to buy it to see the effect. Go to the Ilford site, download their profile for the paper and your printer (if they have one - if they don't use the Epson Premium Luster Profile) and see how that looks.

Fourth, try changing the Rendering Intent to Absolute Colorimetric. It will strengthen saturated colour.

Fifth, with a subject this brilliant and saturated you can't expect the print to replicate what you see on the display - transmitted and reflected light produce different effects. That can't be totally eliminated regardless of all the above.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200455\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll also go for a channel-mix for Red; R-90, G+5, B+5.
And try Relative intent on Harman Gloss.
/Sven
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 05:13:36 pm by Sven W »
Stockholm, Sweden

rdonson

Too much color
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 08:42:34 pm »

What colorspace is the image in?  

What papers have you tried softproofing with?

What rendering intents have you tried?
Regards,
Ron

woffles

Too much color
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 10:56:48 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  I actually have some of the Ilford Gold Fiber Silk and tried the softproofing for it.  As for cropping it, I like the space on the left.  If I cropped it off I would lose the depth of the photo showing the flower existing in a garden.  It would just become a shot of the flower.  I may go back and add a little vignette around the edges to keep the attention from wandering off the flower though.  I didn't think to shoot it in portrait mode at the time.  May go back and try shooting it that way also.  I just hate throwing away pixels so work hard to get what I do and don't want in the shot in the camera.

Canons really like throwing out red.  This was shot in RAW and processed in Lightroom in Profoto color space.  I actually desaturated the red in this already.  Straight out of the camera it was so vivid it was hard to see the detail, I had to back it down some.  Not really a lot done to this except a little curve, sharpening, and pulling down the reds a touch.  Really strong over head light the other day.

As for what papers I've tried.  I went through all the profiles for Epson papers that are compatible with the R1800.  Also tried perceptual and relative so far.

Would a lab have a better chance of pulling out the red better in a print then I would do you think?  I've gotten some really nice prints but reds seem the hardest to print to me, at least with my printer.  My little R260 would probably do a better job at the reds but it doesn't print large enough.

Biggest issue here is I don't have small versions of paper.  Most of my stuff is 13x19.  I don't want to waste it or the ink if I can help it.  I know I can get it looking pretty decent on screen while softproofing but the gamut warning pretty much lights up the whole flower.  How far off will the colors be from the screen when it's like that?  I have a feeling I'll just have to keep toning down the reds until I can get it acceptable.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 10:57:30 pm by woffles »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Too much color
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 11:37:36 pm »

You can cut paper and make test strips on smaller sheets.

If the red is disappearing under the gamut warning it means you are still OOG and need to tone it down more so you don't trash the detail and get a flat mess. There are a number of things to play with Have you tried perceptual intent? You can tone it down quite a bit and then re-strengthen a bit with Absolute Col Intent under softproofing to make sure you don't re-blow it. It may be best to go back to the raw file, start over, change the colour space for that image to ARGB(98), keep the contrast and saturation quite subdued, but not flat, then open in PS and do the rest under soft-proof.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

woffles

Too much color
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 01:53:45 pm »

You can cut paper and make test strips on smaller sheets.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200514\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I usually overlook the simple ways of doing things.
Pages: [1]   Go Up