Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best printer compatible with Mac OSX  (Read 5749 times)

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
Best printer compatible with Mac OSX
« on: June 08, 2008, 04:14:00 am »

So, having switched from PC to Mac recently, and liking it a lot... mostly,  one of the less good parts seems to be printing.

The Epson print drivers available on the PC can do all sort of tricks not possible on Mac OS X Leopard, like telling me how much ink I have left.

Also, I can no longer (easily) do two-sided N-up printing which I used to use for documents.

Moreover, it seems to be a devils curse to figure out how and when to invoke printing via ColourSync or not.

Handy utilities such as the Epson PrintCD program are not available on Mac

This goes further... the Epson Scanner software is similarly hobbled with no support for the 'Copy Centre' application on Mac or a number of other handy little applets.

Is there a printer or scanner supplier that is better at supporting the Mac than Epson. I've not really considered Canon in the past. Are they any better at the software support for Mac?
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

colinm

Best printer compatible with Mac OSX
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 11:53:43 am »

The Epson print drivers available on the PC can do all sort of tricks not possible on Mac OS X Leopard, like telling me how much ink I have left.

This feature's there, just not in the print dialog when you're printing (which would be a very odd place for it; it's not even there in any Windows print driver I can think of).

The appropriate Epson utility installed itself in your applications folder—a damn sight nicer than you get from Canon, who makes you open the print queue every time you want to check ink status or run maintenance functions.

Also, I can no longer (easily) do two-sided N-up printing which I used to use for documents.

N-up printing is built into the OS and is very easy to use, as is two-sided printing. The latter does depend on the printer (and driver) supporting duplexing, though, which Epson's higher-end photo printers of course don't.

You can choose to print only odd or only even pages on printers that don't duplex, of course, and flip the paper over yourself.

Moreover, it seems to be a devils curse to figure out how and when to invoke printing via ColourSync or not.

Turn color correction off entirely in the print driver. This is the method Epson recommends in their documentation (you have read the instructions, yes?), the one everyone's been using for years, and it works fine. If you need help, everyone's familiar with that method.

Or you can delve into the black arts of ColorSync or Epson's print controls. Whatever works, just be consistent and make it work for you.

Is there a printer or scanner supplier that is better at supporting the Mac than Epson. I've not really considered Canon in the past. Are they any better at the software support for Mac?

Yes and no. I'm not a huge fan of Canon's scanners, and their scan software has been and continues to be pretty miserable on both platforms. I think their print drivers are a little bit nicer then Epson's in some ways, but they also do some boneheaded things.
Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up