Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: About to place order for Canon IPF5100  (Read 2505 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
About to place order for Canon IPF5100
« on: June 06, 2008, 11:20:53 pm »

About to place the order for the Canon  IPF5100 and just have a couple of questions

1. Is it worth ordering the stand and media basket? They arent inexpensive...
2. How long can I expect the starter inks to last - should I just order a full replacement set straight away with the printer? Will mostly be printing on a3+ 13 x 19 paper and on 17" roll.

3. Any reasons not to go ahead? [just second guessing myself before dropping the coin I think.. IPF5100 has been around for about 8 months now? So shouldnt be an update for at least another 6 months?

4. Anything else to be aware of with this printer?

Ta.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 11:38:47 pm »

About to place the order for the Canon  IPF5100 and just have a couple of questions

1. Is it worth ordering the stand and media basket? They arent inexpensive...
2. How long can I expect the starter inks to last - should I just order a full replacement set straight away with the printer? Will mostly be printing on a3+ 13 x 19 paper and on 17" roll.

3. Any reasons not to go ahead? [just second guessing myself before dropping the coin I think.. IPF5100 has been around for about 8 months now? So shouldnt be an update for at least another 6 months?

4. Anything else to be aware of with this printer?

Ta.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200190\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Josh, here are some thoughts.

1) I like using other stand options, primarily because I want my printer stand to hold a ton of paper. Space is a premium in my office. check out the VARDE Ikea kitchen countertops. They have a $299 table that works great for me.

2) This is obviously going to depend on how much you print. I blow through a full set of inks every 4 months, which isn't too different from what I would get out of an Epson 4xxx series printer.

3) I think the 5100 is a great value at the moment, but I don't anticipate it being replaced in the short term.

4) The greatest thing about the 5100 is you don't have to switch black inks at all. The worst thing about the printer is learning its quirks with regards to paper handling. Certain media types lock out options such as using one of the paper paths. The logical (illogical?) reason is that since Canon doesn't sell 'x' paper in rolls, why would they let you use that media type for that 'x' paper? Duh. 3rd party papers!!

The iPF5100 is a great printer, and you should get used to the IPF Wiki. Great resource.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 01:10:42 am »

Josh, here are some thoughts.

1) I like using other stand options, primarily because I want my printer stand to hold a ton of paper. Space is a premium in my office. check out the VARDE Ikea kitchen countertops. They have a $299 table that works great for me.

2) This is obviously going to depend on how much you print. I blow through a full set of inks every 4 months, which isn't too different from what I would get out of an Epson 4xxx series printer.

3) I think the 5100 is a great value at the moment, but I don't anticipate it being replaced in the short term.

4) The greatest thing about the 5100 is you don't have to switch black inks at all. The worst thing about the printer is learning its quirks with regards to paper handling. Certain media types lock out options such as using one of the paper paths. The logical (illogical?) reason is that since Canon doesn't sell 'x' paper in rolls, why would they let you use that media type for that 'x' paper? Duh. 3rd party papers!!

The iPF5100 is a great printer, and you should get used to the IPF Wiki. Great resource.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200196\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Cheers Andy, Thanks for the info.

I have been reading up on the state of play in relation to the 5100 locking out certain media types. I print almost exclusivley on Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta - which I have been using on the Pro9500 as a semi gloss paper with great results.

Am I going to have issues with this paper on the 5100 in rolls?

Also - been reading up on how much ink is used in standby mode as I print usually only once a week in a batch. The consensus seems to be to leave the printer on in standby mode, where it uses the least but still significant quantities of ink to clean itself. oh well.. price of admission I guess!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 01:12:32 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 07:23:56 am »

Josh, I don't think you are going to have any issues at all. The 5100 does extremely well with rolls. It is just the whacky media types and what paper paths are allowed that will require some time. Here is a good link for you:

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Media+Type+Paper+Paths
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up