Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: ~ THE BEAUTY OF EVIL ~  (Read 25010 times)

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
~ THE BEAUTY OF EVIL ~
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2008, 10:26:45 pm »

Can we get back to the Ray and Rob bashing now?...

Rob C

~ THE BEAUTY OF EVIL ~
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2008, 07:04:26 pm »

It wasn't an invitation, actually, just a suggestion. You offered a recurring theme on the “mental health” behind insect photography, and I merely suggested that it would be a surer sign of mental health to avoid what one finds repugnant than to wallow in it. Apparently you feel differently.
I never claimed to be perfect Rob. What I claimed was that I have never experienced the feeling of “many deaths” from merely taking photos. Shakespeare once observed, “A coward dies a thousand deaths, a hero only one.” Perhaps there is something about your nature, or deep insecurity, that causes you repeatedly to find so much “pain” in your work that you “die” ...

Me, I think that kind of melodramatic horseshit is for women. I just like taking photographs. If they don't turn out well then I just delete them shrug my shoulders and try again ... but if they do turn out well then I keep them and also try again. No feelings of pain, agony, or death involved. LOL
No, Rob, negative is just negative. It's when one criticizes just to criticize, with nothing constructive or interesting to add. I've noticed there are two types of people in the world: those who contribute and those who consume. Those who encourage and those who undermine. Those who try to build and those who try to tear down. Heck, another saying comes to mind: “No one ever built a statue of a critic.”
You like to use a lot of words to say nothing, don't you?

Even covering your posts with the heavy syrup of pedantry can't hide the infantile theme contained within.

I posted a photo of two species of insect Rob, one killing the other being killed. If this is not a subject to your liking, then surf on. Your posts criticizing the subject of insect photography, when posted on a forum under the heading “Landscape & Nature Photography” seem rather out of place. Like farting in an elevator: inappropriate for the situation.

Jack
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201580\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Jack

Nice to know my post actually had a theme - I wasn´t aware of that - perhaps I´d imagined I was farting in your lift. But then it was only thanks to you that that "infantile" notion has entered my head.

Incidentally, if your monitor reads as mine, I actually wrote that my problem was with photographing such creatures other than from a scientific interest perspective; as you are clearly a master on insect life and nomenclature, this slight criticism doesn´t even apply to you or your photography, so why get your knickers in such a painfully tight twist?

But seriously, though, I do think you take everything far too personally; if you enjoy talking pictures of insects fine, do carry on, it bothers me not at all, but I still don´t feel obliged to enjoy them.

The fact that I dropped into this spiders trap, is totally due to the tile of your thread, so you can only thank yourself for that; otherwise, I would indeed have passed it by, as I have most of such threads. Wallowing in it as you write? Hardly!

Neither do I see what the tiltle of this site, Luminous Landscape, has got to do with close-up photography of insects, so it isn´t really clear where that remark/attempted justification was coming from. Furthermore negative is not always negative; in most human relationships as compared with science-based ones, it is not a lot more than opinion, generally that of the other party: just look at your own recent election nonsense if you want both infantile and negative in one sad example. Godammit, we couldn´t even get it off our own British screens! Over and over, day after day, the bullshit flowed and the  double-talk rolled on; we might have been watching our own domestic lot!

If you really want to know what verbosity and no content might be, watch politicians. Any politician.

I´m surprised that you think the expression "dying a death" in photography means anything deeper or more intense than having blown a particular shot;  perhaps it´s just the difference in linguistic usage between the two countries - yours being possibly more literal than mine. Goodness me, poor old Shakespeare would be rolling in his box if he could have read this quotation within this context! As for insecurities, man, if you know anyone without them, you are friends with the living dead. Or a robot.

But this, as with so many damn web conversations, become little more than either last man standing or first man bored. Choose whichever turns you on - I´m too tired to care.

Buenas noches - Rob C
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 07:15:33 pm by Rob C »

JohnKoerner

~ THE BEAUTY OF EVIL ~
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2008, 10:00:42 pm »

Hey Rob;

I guess I just get tired of so many negative things being said rather than positive. Everyone seems to have a finger to point rather than a thumb to extend. I too have seen photos posted on this forum that didn't do anything for me, or about subjects that didn't interest me in the least, but rather than intrude upon these thread topics and tell the person, "That photo sucks," or "Why on earth would someone want to take a photo of a XX," I instead just surfed on

If you don't like the subject of insects, I guess I and the many photographers of same will have to learn to live without your approval. Some of the investors in Canon, Nikon, and Zeiss may henceforth want to put a caveat that none of their investment funds will apply towards their macro products any longer, seing as this is your take on things. Who knows, perhaps there will be a groundswell movement away from this activity now that your views on this subject have been made known?

On the bright side, there does seems to be enough interest remaining in the subject of insect photography that we all might still be able to carry on in this effort, in spite of your not joining us in the experience. So with guarded breath I'll keep my fingers crossed that insect macrophotography survives

Jack

PS: I do admit to having a laugh at the politician remark ... true enough ... and I am a bit alarmed that you are the second person this week to accuse me of being a robot

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
~ THE BEAUTY OF EVIL ~
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2008, 12:44:10 am »

If you really want to know what verbosity and no content might be, watch politicians. Any politician.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201806\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
What? Are you suggesting that you aren't a politician, Rob C?  
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

~ THE BEAUTY OF EVIL ~
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2008, 04:40:13 am »

What? Are you suggesting that you aren't a politician, Rob C? 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201847\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

But that I were, Eric; seems that in a few years they will be the only ones collecting cast-iron pensions whilst the rest of us, photographers included, will be paying for that via taxation. Assuming we have jobs, of course.

It was once pointed out to me that ants explode into flame in sunlight; did you know that? Proof is to be had in looking at them through a powerful magnifying glass.

Perhaps my arachnid-loving friend has observed that within the spider realm too?

;-)

There, I used one of those horrid little keyboard stunts that passes for internet humour. Or perhaps it´s just me. Probably is. My insecurities, you understand.

Edit: sorry, missed your post before I wrote this, Jack, and no, I did not accuse you of being a robot, read it again. I wondered if you had friends who were robots not quite the same thing, although I have to admit the sentence was far too short for the true expression of what I was attempting to state to come thorugh quite clearly enough; obviously not enough syrup of pedantry I suppose, whilst underlining the need for it.

Canon, Nikon and Zeiss: would that be another lesson in the use of English? You know, the first on pedantry, this one perhaps an example of reducing argument to the absurd? But great fun, nonetheless.

Ciao - Rob C
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 05:20:46 am by Rob C »

JohnKoerner

~ THE BEAUTY OF EVIL ~
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2008, 09:14:09 am »

Canon, Nikon and Zeiss: would that be another lesson in the use of English? You know, the first on pedantry, this one perhaps an example of reducing argument to the absurd? But great fun, nonetheless.
Ciao - Rob C

Actually Rob, one could make the argument that the original intrusion of your personal opinion disparaging insect photography was absurd to begin with, especially in light of this being a nature photography section, and that my sardonic response merely put the "weight" of this opinion in its best perspective.

Jack

« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 05:55:39 pm by JohnKoerner »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up