Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Liveview Dongle  (Read 10782 times)

yaya

Leaf Liveview Dongle
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 07:49:38 pm »

Gidday Yair,

Typical manufacturer's remark.

In other words I have to spend more money to up grade my Apus 75 to a 75s to get the results I should get with my Aptus 75

Great,

Simon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202648\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually it's a Gidnight but thanks for the complement Simon  

As Steve mentioned, Live Video on these CCDs is almost a "side effect" so we're using the S & AFi's extra horsepower to improve it.

You can either spend more money or stick to what you've got now and use ND filter when required, I guess...

Yair

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
Leaf Liveview Dongle
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 07:41:30 pm »

Hello Yair,

So what you are telling me is that leaf are happy to sell sub standard soft wear to make a buck?

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
Leaf Liveview Dongle
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2008, 08:49:51 pm »

Actually it's a Gidnight but thanks for the complement Simon  

As Steve mentioned, Live Video on these CCDs is almost a "side effect" so we're using the S & AFi's extra horsepower to improve it.

You can either spend more money or stick to what you've got now and use ND filter when required, I guess...

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202650\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yair,

At this stage of forum life you should know that no good deed ever goes unpunished.

JR

yaya

Leaf Liveview Dongle
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 03:30:34 am »

Hello Yair,

So what you are telling me is that leaf are happy to sell sub standard soft wear to make a buck?

Cheers

Simon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202753\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not really...the Aptus already offers better LV than most other solutions and the S/AFi only makes it better....as technology moves forward, we get to improve this function...

Yair

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
Leaf Liveview Dongle
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 03:37:34 am »

Not really...the Aptus already offers better LV than most other solutions and the S/AFi only makes it better....as technology moves forward, we get to improve this function...

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202801\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gidday Yair,

Why cant Leaf update the Leaf Capture soft wear so the exposer adjustment can go darker?

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

yaya

Leaf Liveview Dongle
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 03:43:13 am »

Gidday Yair,

Why cant Leaf update the Leaf Capture soft wear so the exposer adjustment can go darker?

Simon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202802\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Changing the slider's movement won't change the fact that the sensor gets saturated. We could slow the frame rate down but then we won't be calling it Live View anymore....

Yair

robert zimmerman

Leaf Liveview Dongle
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 04:03:08 am »

Hi Simon,

you seem to be having severe problems with the Live View funtion and are obviously upset about how it's working. Have you had a situation where you we're not able to focus with it because of its short comings?
I realize how frustrating it can be when some aspect of the software doesn't work to your expectations in a situaton where the client is breathing down your neck!

could you please clearly state what it is that you need from the Live View function? What shooting situations you're using it in and what you would like it to be like?
This should help Leaf (Yair in this case) to have an idea what their customers (you) expext and need with Live View and help them to come up with solutions and suggestions to overcome the problems you're having.

I only used Live View in the studio and it worked for me quite well, so I can't help you with any suggestions, but I'm sure Yair will get back to you with some kind of workaround if you let him know exactly what you're experiencing.

Best of luck, Kipling

E_Edwards

Leaf Liveview Dongle
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 06:37:05 am »

As a still-live photographer I use the Leaf Live View every day.

Given a few tweaks, we are all more or less agreed that all medium format backs have similar image quality. So you are looking for things that are individually beneficial to the way you work, important practicalities that sway us to go for one system in preference to another.

In my case, the Leaf Live View was simply the best I could find. And since for the kind of work I do, focussing is critical and composing on a large monitor is quicker and very helpful in making small tweaks to the items in the set, I went for Leaf and haven't regretted it at all, the two Leaf backs have given my studio impeccable continuos service for the past two years, very reliable, and they do get used!

I considered the Sinar lcd solution which ostensibly gives you a better live view, but when I saw the contraption, it was a massive, heavy thing that would make the already heavily laden view camera, a bit unwieldy.

If you are a photographer who has never experienced Live View, it comes as a bit of a shock, as it did to me, I simply couldn't believe that 20 grand camera backs could have such archaic live view, grainy, slow, oversensitive to light and to contrast ratios, a disaster!.  All sorts of technical problems were explained and understood, but I never accepted and never will until someone out there decides to find a way to do it properly, thinking out of the box, it probably needs to be something like a miniaturised Sinar lcd, something light and simple in the way of attachment, or maybe a redesign of the chip or software and eletronics, but there is probably little call for it, and no overwhelming competition, so no financial incentive to make it.

I saw what the competition offered, and they were worse, or non existent.

So Leaf Live View it is, you have the best of the Live Views, it's quirky, slow and temperamental, but there is nothing better (built in), so it pays to get used to it, as we have. Like many things digital, you quickly learn to adapt and work within their restrictions.

It works amazingly well in medium to low contrast sets, but it starts to struggle on high or low key sets. We often use the main light with the modelling light at its minimum power (and the light is generally quite diffused anyway) If you use very direct undiffused light, you'll probably have problems. Some people use a very low power, diffused tungsten light just for that purpose. I reckon a 30Watt bulb will be more than enough, but it pays to experiment, it you find the optimal light, the refreshing rate of the image will be at its fastest. It doesn't like fluorescent tubes, for some reason, I think their phasing creates stripes on the live view.

Edward
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up