Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP z3100ps GP paper suggestions  (Read 6163 times)

DLP Graphics

• http://www.dlpgraphics.ca
HP z3100ps GP paper suggestions
« on: June 05, 2008, 01:19:45 am »

Hi

I bought one of those HP z3100ps GP printers that were such a good price here in Canada.

Now I need to find paper to use with it. Most of my photos go out of here as framed prints. I have been using only Epson Enhanced Matte paper on a SP4800. The z3100 came with enough gloss paper to charge the printer, calibrate, profile and make 7/8 of a print. I was amazed at the life it put into the print on this gloss paper compared to the EM paper on the SP4800. I didn't like how curled the paper was coming off the 2" spool and it seemed to scratch very easily.

Having used up that little bit of gloss paper I loaded the Enhanced Matte. I picked Photo Matte Paper type and used the APS to make a profile. I was disappointed with the results. It looked washed out compared to the same paper on the SP4800. I read Neil Snape's great review on the z3100 and he had said Enhanced Matte worked fine for him. He also suggested the built-in profiler seemed to do a better job of profiling Matte paper. I tried that but the prints still look kind of lifeless.

Is there something I am missing profiling the EM paper? I used the APS to make a profile for the SP4800 and it looked good.

Based on what the print looked like on HP ID Gloss paper  I think I will look into using a gloss or satin paper. I don't really like the 2" rolls though. Any suggestions on what paper to try? I am in a very small town and seldom get out to a real camera store to look stuff.

Thanks,
Steve
HP z3100ps GP
OS 10.5.3

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 02:44:59 am »

Having used up that little bit of gloss paper I loaded the Enhanced Matte. I picked Photo Matte Paper type and used the APS to make a profile. I was disappointed with the results.

Thanks,
Steve
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Use the Matte Litho Realistic media preset for EEM. For a first trial the OEM profile of that paper as well. If that is better you can make the custom profile.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 01:20:03 pm »

I had a similar experience with Enhanced Matte and have not tried to improve the results as I had only a little of the paper.  For photos I have had very good results with HP Professional Satin and used the canned profile that comes with the printer.  For art reporduction I use the 100% rag based Hannemeule (SP) smooth and textured fine art paper they made for HP and I like the look I get on this paper (also with supplied profile) but it is a bit more expensive than a pulp based matte.

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 01:22:54 pm »

I'm happy with the results of EEM using the paper type Ernst mentioned and an APS profile.  I think the profile I made is still available on the Z3100 wiki.
Regards,
Ron

DLP Graphics

• http://www.dlpgraphics.ca
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 12:36:53 pm »

Using HP Litho Matte Realistic for a paper type worked. Thanks guys.
HP z3100ps GP
OS 10.5.3

walter.sk

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 11:47:03 am »

I was not overewhelmed with the Epson Enhanced Matte paper.  I profiled it based on the Litho Realistic paper type with my Z3100. I find its gamut to be rather small and had trouble with red-orange and yellows going out of gamut even with little saturation or contrast.

I have been using Epson Premium Luster with very fine results, and recently tried HP Premium ID Satin, which I also like.  Unfortunately, I tried the HP Hahnemuhle Textured Fine Art Paper (310gsm), and was blown away by its ability to produce saturated color and dark blacks, for a matte paper.  I say "unfortunately" because it is not an inexpensive paper, and it does such a nice job that I'd like to use it for most of my prints.

Where I buy my paper, the Epson Premium Luster and the HP Premium ID Satin cost about $1 per running foot on 24" rolls, while the HP Hahnemuhle costs about $3 per running foot on 24" rolls.

The 310gsm weight of the HP Hahnemuhle is great, and the paper lies quite flat with minimal weight applied for a few hours.

Where I get my paper
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 11:49:14 am by walter.sk »

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 04:06:57 pm »

Walter,

I couldn't find the HP Textured (p/n Q8739A) on the ProVantage website.

I did find it at ATLEX for $114 for a 24" x 35' roll.
Regards,
Ron

walter.sk

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 12:02:03 pm »

Walter,

I couldn't find the HP Textured (p/n Q8739A) on the ProVantage website.

I did find it at ATLEX for $114 for a 24" x 35' roll.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200329\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I checked, and they no longer have it on their website.  I had paid about $110 for the roll, so I guess Atlex's price is similar.  I also, by the way, found Provantage's prices on HP70 ink carts the best, also.
Pages: [1]   Go Up