Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coating a canvas after dry mounting, is this wise?  (Read 3323 times)

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Coating a canvas after dry mounting, is this wise?
« on: June 05, 2008, 12:08:43 am »

Anybody have any comments about coating a canvas after dry mounting?

This would be very convenient for me from a workflow point of view.  I need to knock out quite a few canvases in the 24" x 72" range, a single test suggests this works OK on the short term, but I am wondering what issues like shrinking, expanding, or whatever might bring in the long run.

photogoalie

• http://
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:12:03 am »

Anybody have any comments about coating a canvas after dry mounting?

This would be very convenient for me from a workflow point of view.  I need to knock out quite a few canvases in the 24" x 72" range, a single test suggests this works OK on the short term, but I am wondering what issues like shrinking, expanding, or whatever might bring in the long run.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199813\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Bill,

I would not mount it before coating. I'm working with Breathing Color Chromata White canvas and, even if it is suposed to be one of the least prone to shrinking, I noticed a 3/16 of an inch shrink over 20 inches lenght after coating with Glamour II. Notice that it only shrinks in one direction, probably because the canvas is rolled under tension and not completely dry (my guess). Don't know for other brands of canvas.

May be you would not have any problem but my observation on shrinkage shows that there is potential for problems.

Can you keep us updated? I'd like to learn from your experience.

Kind regards.

Carl Potvin
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 11:15:53 am by photogoalie »

framah

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 05:36:13 pm »

Once it is dry mounted, it is attached to the substrate and can not shrink.
Dry mount first and then do what you want to it.

You have access to a heat mount table that will take a piece 72" long??  

The usual one for most frame shops is limited to 40x60. They do make a table that will take a full 4'x8' at one time but is very expensive and not worth it for the vast majority of frame shops.
You should consider using a satin finish laminate onto the canvas as final protection. We do it all the time.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 05:36:47 pm by framah »
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 10:33:47 am »

Framah,
     Are you heat mounting canvas in a vacu-press?  If so what are you using for a mounting tissue/adhesive and what substrate are you mounting to?  I have a 40x60 in press in my studio but have not mounted any canvas with it yet.  Thanks for any info.
CMurph

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 08:45:09 pm »

Thanks for the replies.

I use an old fashioned Masterpiece press with a  26" x 34" platen area.  Basically I need three presses to dry mount 24 x 72's, starting with the middle and then going to each side.  Before actually adhering with the Colormount drymount tissue, I have found that I MUST flatten and dry both art and foamcore backing with pre-presses, minus the tissue.  This flattening is essential to avoid buckles in the art, whether canvas or paper, and most particularly with RC substrates.  I have noticed that the pre-pressing tends to shrink canvas by a small amount, so I'm thinking that's a good thing.  I sure WISH I had a nice vacuum heat press but it would take up 1/2 my workspace.

I use Colormount drymount tissue because it is "adheres when hot" versus say Fusion 4000 which is "adheres as it cools" presumably under some large, weighted platens.  Although Fusion 4000 is the usual pick for canvas, it is procedurally easier to use Colormount when pressing in sections.  The adhesion seems pretty good, if I grab a canvas edge and rip it up, for the most part the foamcore paper skin pulls up attached to the canvas.

Going to spray the canvases rather than laminate.  In my somewhat dusty shop this gives me the opportunity to remove flubs after the fact.  And I don't own a proper laminating machine.

framah

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 10:14:11 am »

Yes, I have a 40x60 heat mount vacu press. I usually use colormount tissue and will mount to either foamcore or gatorboard. The larger the piece, the more I head for the gatorboard as it is more rigid and less prone to bowing.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
Pages: [1]   Go Up