Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taking photos of family, friends, acquaintences  (Read 4555 times)

PSA DC-9-30

Taking photos of family, friends, acquaintences
« on: June 04, 2008, 12:09:11 am »

Since taking up photography as a hobby in the mid-1980s, I've been pretty much solely concerned with landscape, wildlife, architectural, and aviation photography. I have generally tried to avoid including people in my photos, except occasionally for some purpose such as imparting a sense of scale or movement.  

Lately however, I've been increasingly interested in taking photos of people I know. Family members are the easiest, because they know that I'm not going to try and sell the photos and make a buck off of their likeness. Also, since I'm the only one in my family with any photographic skills and/or inclination, they are generally grateful that I will provide them some nice looking prints.

However, I find the situation trickier with friends and acquanitances. For friends who have known me for quite a while, it's not so bad, but I am far less comfortable with everyone else. In addition to the artistic purposes, I do like to use photography to record interesting and significant things in my life--and this of course includes people. I was just at a retreat for my research lab, and five other labs. I met a lot of new and interesting people, and I wanted to take some photos, but wasn't quite sure how to ask. I don't want any of them to worry that I might try and sell the photos later.

So, for those of you who are into people photography, do you just simply ask permission? Do you offer to e-mail the people files or even provide small prints? (I really, honestly have no ambitions of making any money off of this.) Some people are quite self-conscious about their photograhpic likeness--how do you handle this? I don't want people to feel pressured to be photographed, and want them to be at ease and not too self-conscious.

Also, I don't really like doing candid photography, nor do I like posed portraits. I sort of like a middle ground in which the subject is aware that I will be taking photos, but is not really posing for them. How do you handle this?

Any other advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. People photography is very new to me!

Thanks.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 07:31:11 pm »

1) A smile surely goes a long way, and at least in my experience people I know even casually will rarely object to informal pictures as long as they aren't compromising in any way. You're more likely to be well received if people have already seen nice examples of your work.

2) Needless to say, if anyone waves me off, I quit at once.

3) Be sensitive to people's concerns and avoid even the appearance of creepiness. As in, adult males should not be taking photos of someone else's adolescent daughter unless you are looking forward to lots of personal experience with the criminal justice system.

4) Offer to e-mail (small) jpeg's to subjects of the photos, and follow through. People really like to see high quality photos of themselves at significant events, given the dismal quality of average amateur snapshots. Some might even ask for prints.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 01:04:15 am »

To add to Geoff's good advice...

Less is more in terms of gear in most cases (social gatherings, events, etc).  After all, photography is probably NOT the primary reason you're there so keep it light, simple and convenient to carry.  I don't know what you have in your kit, but a single DSLR body with a WA-to-short tele zoom works for me (although I'd love to have a digital version of the old Minolta/Leica CL to replace my Canon Digital Elph as my carry-around camera).

Particularly with family and friends, if I photograph at a social gathering of some kind (holidays, birthdays, etc) I will post a selection of photos (in a private, not public online gallery) and send people the link.  I don't often make prints in these cases, but will if someone requests one.

Paul
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 01:04:43 am by PaulS »

hs0zfe

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 02:32:58 pm »

Well, I try to take different photos. In the past, I would use a Contax with 2.8/180 mm Zeiss lens for unobserved and natural portraits or group photos.  It certainly helps when the subject does not notice this!

Agreeing with everything said before, only rarely does someone object. And I like to follow through on promises to share a photo.

Please note how most folks take photos. They have small WA lens cameras and step back 5 to 10 meters. There might then be a lot of the airport and very small beople on that photo. ** They do not have a tele or someone who could use one, unless you come along. Do them a favour!

Q: Why would anyone think you might sell or publish their photo?

I had once an 80 y.o. lady assume that I might print her photos in a famous calendar. She took her complaint straight to management of a pharmaceutical company I was working for. Very awkward. And a friend got whipped in Cairo by a local riding a cart with donkeys.

Aboud

• http://www.abouddweck.com
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 05:06:53 pm »

You've been getting good advice, and a smile does disarm people and often elicit cooperation. If you are working in tight or have any doubt whatsoever, be sure to ask permission. I wouldn't bother to offer images, but I would agree to provide one at N/C if asked.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 08:01:27 pm »

You do not need to worry about making any money from the photos you take. Without a signed model release, they cannot be licensed for commercial use.

So, with that out of the way, all the above advice is great. Shooting people is very different from shooting landscapes in many ways. For one thing, peoples' expressions change rapidly, while landscapes don't move all that much <g>. So you'll need to shoot a little more, or at least I need to shoot a little more.

I tend to shoot with a fast short tele lens. This past weekend I attended my mother in law's 70th birthday, and shot candids with an 85 on a Canon 40D body, shooting around f/2 in mixed indoor and porch lighting. (I used the 85/1.8 -- not my 1.2 -- I would have felt very silly with that monster at a party.) On the 40D this gives the FOV of about a 135mm lens, which is perfect for dropping out the background and catching candid expressions. Not great for group shots, but you can't have everything. I shot several hundred frames, saved about 125, and processed maybe 60.

I like doing this sort of photography. I can make some interesting, fun images, that don't look like anything anyone else shoots at the same party (with their digital P+S cameras and direct flash and all that.) It also gives me something to do rather than sit around and, er, drink. Yeah, it sometimes feels like work, but that's okay. I did a quick process and left my MIL with a CD full of photos. Like I said, fun.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1]   Go Up