Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rollei X-act2 for architecture?  (Read 5541 times)

dave unwin

Rollei X-act2 for architecture?
« on: June 03, 2008, 07:29:29 am »

I'm looking to upgrade to a MFDB system, primarily for shooting architecture, but it would be great to use for products and landscapes as well if possible.  I currently shoot low-mid end architecture with a dslr system, but am looking to expand into the upper end of the market.

Would the Rollei X-act2 camera be a good system to buy into?  I am looking at a x-act2 camera and various shneider lenses from 35mm up.  I'm having trouble finding a lot out about this camera, and in particular its usefulness for architecture.

I'd really appreciate if the kind and knowledgeable people here could share any experiences with this camera.  I'd like to keep the discussion independent of any specific backs as that is another decision i will have to make!

I am completely new to medium format digital, although i've had some experience with v series and rz67 film cameras.

Are there any major drawbacks to such a system?  I have heard many good reports about the schneider lenses so i'm hoping that is one of the big positives.

Any info/advice is greatly appreciated.  I hope that one day i can return the favour to future MFDB beginners like myself.

Thanks in advance

Dave

digitalcameraman

• Capture Integration
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 07:41:27 am »

I'm looking to upgrade to a MFDB system, primarily for shooting architecture, but it would be great to use for products and landscapes as well if possible.  I currently shoot low-mid end architecture with a dslr system, but am looking to expand into the upper end of the market.

Would the Rollei X-act2 camera be a good system to buy into?  I am looking at a x-act2 camera and various shneider lenses from 35mm up.  I'm having trouble finding a lot out about this camera, and in particular its usefulness for architecture.

I'd really appreciate if the kind and knowledgeable people here could share any experiences with this camera.  I'd like to keep the discussion independent of any specific backs as that is another decision i will have to make!

I am completely new to medium format digital, although i've had some experience with v series and rz67 film cameras.

Are there any major drawbacks to such a system?  I have heard many good reports about the schneider lenses so i'm hoping that is one of the big positives.

Any info/advice is greatly appreciated.  I hope that one day i can return the favour to future MFDB beginners like myself.

Thanks in advance

Dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199511\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Chris Snipes
Sales Manager Capture Integ

digitalcameraman

• Capture Integration
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 07:55:16 am »

I'm looking to upgrade to a MFDB system, primarily for shooting architecture, but it would be great to use for products and landscapes as well if possible.  I currently shoot low-mid end architecture with a dslr system, but am looking to expand into the upper end of the market.

Would the Rollei X-act2 camera be a good system to buy into?  I am looking at a x-act2 camera and various shneider lenses from 35mm up.  I'm having trouble finding a lot out about this camera, and in particular its usefulness for architecture.

I'd really appreciate if the kind and knowledgeable people here could share any experiences with this camera.  I'd like to keep the discussion independent of any specific backs as that is another decision i will have to make!

Are there any major drawbacks to such a system?  I have heard many good reports about the schneider lenses so i'm hoping that is one of the big positives.

Any info/advice is greatly appreciated.  I hope that one day i can return the favour to future MFDB beginners like myself.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Dave:

I am a Phase One dealer in Florida and I have alot of experience with the camera system with Phase One and Leaf backs.

First the camera is a really nice package. I used this camera for 3 years showing photographers how to shoot high end digital.The lenses you are speaking of are the best. With the wide angle bellows and recessed lens boards you will have a very difficult time getting the 35mm XL lenses to focus at infinity. I had a 47mm XL that I showed most of the time. I had Kapture Group making a stiching sliding back for it that allowed me to get twice as wide but no fun when you have alot of shots to do a day. 99 % of all the photographers I was showing this too purchased the Cambo Wide because it was much more precise in focusing and you can use 35mmXL and 24mmXL with no problems. It was really nice to leave the digital back on the sliding adapter and not have to take it off to view through the ground glass. But you need the 24 and 35mm lenses with the type of work you want to do. If you only did studio work and some wide angle and the 47mmXL was wide enough I would say go for it. Pleasegive meacall if you have any further questions
Phone 813-335-2473 Cell

Chris Snipes
President
Image Produtcions,Inc
Phase One Dealer Florida
Phase One Test Studio Florida
www.imageproduction.com
chris@imageproduction.com
Chris Snipes
Sales Manager Capture Integ

dave unwin

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 08:56:52 am »

Hi Chris

Thanks for your prompt and honest feedback.  The 24mm would certainly be handy if it could be used, which i guess rules out the X-act2.  I will look into the cambo but will probably also wait and check out the new Alpa.

Can you clarify for me if it is possible to use say the 35mm APO digitar HR with Rollei Electronic shutter on another camera system?  Its just the price i've been offered on the X-act2 would nearly be worth it for the lenses alone.

Thanks again (and apologies for not calling, not too sure of time zones etc!)

Cheers

Dave

Dave:
I am a Phase One dealer in Florida and I have alot of experience with the camera system with Phase One and Leaf backs.

First the camera is a really nice package. I used this camera for 3 years showing photographers how to shoot high end digital.The lenses you are speaking of are the best. With the wide angle bellows and recessed lens boards you will have a very difficult time getting the 35mm XL lenses to focus at infinity. I had a 47mm XL that I showed most of the time. I had Kapture Group making a stiching sliding back for it that allowed me to get twice as wide but no fun when you have alot of shots to do a day. 99 % of all the photographers I was showing this too purchased the Cambo Wide because it was much more precise in focusing and you can use 35mmXL and 24mmXL with no problems. It was really nice to leave the digital back on the sliding adapter and not have to take it off to view through the ground glass. But you need the 24 and 35mm lenses with the type of work you want to do. If you only did studio work and some wide angle and the 47mmXL was wide enough I would say go for it. Pleasegive meacall if you have any further questions
Phone 813-335-2473 Cell
Chris Snipes
President
Image Produtcions,Inc
Phase One Dealer Florida
Phase One Test Studio Florida
www.imageproduction.com
chris@imageproduction.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199520\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 10:54:49 am »

Hi,
if you need wide-angle a want to do some studio, have a look a the Silvestri Flexicam. I posted pictures in a thread here. You're limited to 105mm officially (i suppose with Copal lenses) but i used my Hassy V-system 120mm (via adaptor)with succes for tabletop. For the moment i sue the 60,80,120mm Hassy lenses only, i tested and ordered the Digitar 35, a 100mm digitar will come later.
You need to order a sliding back specifially for each mount (no insert like P1 flexadaptor).
Some of the pancake cameras offer tilt possibility (Arca?), I don't think it's enough for studio work

Tom-

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 09:51:06 pm »

I used the rollei X act 2 with a 35mm Rodenstock digital APO lens in an electronic shutter.  You are more limited in movements but I could get infinity focus.  You need a special lens board for any lenses less than 60mm with rollei.

Hi Chris

Thanks for your prompt and honest feedback.  The 24mm would certainly be handy if it could be used, which i guess rules out the X-act2.  I will look into the cambo but will probably also wait and check out the new Alpa.

Can you clarify for me if it is possible to use say the 35mm APO digitar HR with Rollei Electronic shutter on another camera system?  Its just the price i've been offered on the X-act2 would nearly be worth it for the lenses alone.

Thanks again (and apologies for not calling, not too sure of time zones etc!)

Cheers

Dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199533\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

bryanyc

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 10:34:35 pm »

there was a complete rollei x-act system that was on ebay last week: camera, wide bellows, 3 lenses at least.  Most all of it didn't sell because the price minimum was pretty high.  You could search for it.
the one piece that did go was the hand held control for the electronic shutter.  someone snapped that up at around a thousand for their non rollei system I assume. (like an alpa with their rollei adaptor).

dave unwin

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 06:41:27 am »

Thanks for all the help.  The PDF was particularly useful, i hadn't been able to track down anything official.

I've decided to wait and find a system that is more suited to my needs.  It does look like a lovely piece of engineering though.

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 07:43:22 am »

Thanks in advance

Dave

I have used this camera for the past 4 years in the studio and some location work(product) and while it is a small stout monorail it would not be my first choice for field work. short focal lengths are a pita, with out the right recessed boards the shortest lens usable is the 40mm SA.  and with
that limited movements.  Again this is more a studio camera... and a discontinued one.. and not many sold.. very few on the used market.. I like mine and it was a  lot less money than a sinar p3 but it aint a sinar.  good luck.

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 04:26:43 pm »

The xAct is not discontinued. It is still available new from Franke & Heidecke. That's also why the PDF is still up. Actually, this PDF is created by F&H in March this year. It is an updated version of an older brochure. Especially in the UK this camera is quite popular in studios.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199888\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

that is good news..I read it somewhere from an official notice that it was discontinued.. during the time shortly after sinar  announced taking on distribution of rolleiflex and the xact2.. but I will take your word for it..
It is not on the US sinarbron website. btw.  The whole F&H thing is still a mess.. I doubt I could call them up and order one for US delivery.. having my lens control repaired last year when I was living in the UK was more than enough for me... but thanks for the correction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up