Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Top Down Camera Position and Commercial  (Read 12610 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Top Down Camera Position and Commercial
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 02:26:56 am »

Yep, that is exactly what I see. I put it on but forgot about those three screws.

Thanks a lot!

(What would we do w/o the internet?)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200392\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, there are three set screws. Thanks!

dwdallam

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 02:29:36 am »

Maybe this would work with a super clamp too?
http://www.white-lightning.com/lb11.html
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200332\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's the boom I have.

Hank

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 12:20:49 pm »

That's the boom I have.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200395\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Be sure to test it carefully.  The stand is light enough that it's easy to overbalance the boom once you mount a camera- even with the counterweight on the back end of the boom.  I'm a lot more comfortable with shot bags velcroed to the base of the center column.  If you overbalance the boom, it will move slow at first as it tips, but it will accelerate so fast once it starts that you probably won't have time to grab the camera.

One final fine tuning point-  That boom is so flexible that you're going to want to use a cable release or wireless.  It can be really frustrating adjusting framing and manual focus too with a flexible boom.   As we discussed before, a wheeled dolly will help greatly with framing adjustments.  But count on slow and careful focusing with pauses between each adjustment to allow the boom to settle down after you have touched the camera.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 12:34:43 pm by Hank »

dwdallam

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 04:19:58 am »

Be sure to test it carefully.  The stand is light enough that it's easy to overbalance the boom once you mount a camera- even with the counterweight on the back end of the boom.  I'm a lot more comfortable with shot bags velcroed to the base of the center column.  If you overbalance the boom, it will move slow at first as it tips, but it will accelerate so fast once it starts that you probably won't have time to grab the camera.

One final fine tuning point-  That boom is so flexible that you're going to want to use a cable release or wireless.  It can be really frustrating adjusting framing and manual focus too with a flexible boom.   As we discussed before, a wheeled dolly will help greatly with framing adjustments.  But count on slow and careful focusing with pauses between each adjustment to allow the boom to settle down after you have touched the camera.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200437\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah that kinda sucks  What I'm still thinking about trying is the Magic arm and Super Clamp to a background pole supported by two wheeled heavy duty light stands. That would firm up the entire system because the one side would be connected to another stand. Commercial product photography is not only frustrating in this sense, it's quite boring.

Hank

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 09:35:33 am »

Yeah that kinda sucks  What I'm still thinking about trying is the Magic arm and Super Clamp to a background pole supported by two wheeled heavy duty light stands. That would firm up the entire system because the one side would be connected to another stand. Commercial product photography is not only frustrating in this sense, it's quite boring.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That should work, as long as the two stands can be positioned within the spread of your light stands.  Adjustment will be a PITA compared to a single mount.  Any chance of renting or borrowing time with a full sized camera stand?  [a href=\"http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/CB2317/]Ours[/url] is big and heavy, but often the best solution for product shots in a studio setting.    This one is inexpensive and lightweight so not nearly as stable as a regular camera stand, but might solve most issues for you.  It would be plenty suitable for occasional and portable use, while not costing an arm and two legs, compared to the full size units.

And you are sooooo right about product photography.  Once your setup is working, it's a whole lot like running a xerox machine.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 09:37:15 am by Hank »

dwdallam

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 02:08:21 am »

That should work, as long as the two stands can be positioned within the spread of your light stands.  Adjustment will be a PITA compared to a single mount.  Any chance of renting or borrowing time with a full sized camera stand?  Ours is big and heavy, but often the best solution for product shots in a studio setting.    This one is inexpensive and lightweight so not nearly as stable as a regular camera stand, but might solve most issues for you.  It would be plenty suitable for occasional and portable use, while not costing an arm and two legs, compared to the full size units.

And you are sooooo right about product photography.  Once your setup is working, it's a whole lot like running a xerox machine.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200564\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I went to screw the head into the light boom and the thread on the light boom is too small. Is there a conversion stud to make the stud a larger size? I think I posted this question, but I can't find it.

Yeah, copy machine is right. You would think someone would come up with a cheap alternative to a camera and people for this type of record photography, like a G9 sensor and lens fixed to a light table. Seems like one could be made for under 600.00US or a little more that would suit 99% of people needing this done. It would pay for itself, even at 1000US for those who have ongoing need for this type of thing.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 02:10:48 am by dwdallam »

Hank

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 09:58:05 pm »

Hmm.  Ours is a match, but it's quite old.  I'd check the Bogen accessory listings.  They've got so many that something should work.  One that come sto mind would be putting the 3/8 stud in a Super Clamp and put that on the end of the boom.

dwdallam

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 07:23:45 am »

Hmm.  Ours is a match, but it's quite old.  I'd check the Bogen accessory listings.  They've got so many that something should work.  One that come sto mind would be putting the 3/8 stud in a Super Clamp and put that on the end of the boom.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200845\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah I already thought of that, but I just wanted to screw it right on the boom, w/o creating more Frankenstein like contraptions everywhere.

Hank

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 12:18:25 pm »

I'm not in the studio to confirm, but as I recall one of our short Bogen background light stands has a slip on adapter.  It slips right over the fixed stud in the stand and down over the shaft a little.  There's a knurled set screw to lock it in place.  I can't recall whether we bought it seperately or it came with the stand, but it should be exactly what you're looking for.  So much of our Bogen gear is 20-30 years old that it may not relate to the current line.  That kind of life span is strong reco for Bogen quality, isn't it!  And by the same token, some of it is still in their line- yet another sign.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 12:19:20 pm by Hank »

dwdallam

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 08:27:39 pm »

I'm not in the studio to confirm, but as I recall one of our short Bogen background light stands has a slip on adapter.  It slips right over the fixed stud in the stand and down over the shaft a little.  There's a knurled set screw to lock it in place.  I can't recall whether we bought it seperately or it came with the stand, but it should be exactly what you're looking for.  So much of our Bogen gear is 20-30 years old that it may not relate to the current line.  That kind of life span is strong reco for Bogen quality, isn't it!  And by the same token, some of it is still in their line- yet another sign.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200927\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I saw that adapter on B&H. I'll pick it up.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up