Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Drips fixed: now, scratches  (Read 2035 times)

walter.sk

Z3100 Drips fixed: now, scratches
« on: June 02, 2008, 08:30:07 am »

Living with my Z3100 seems to be a constant challenge.  The most recent came after printing 4 pairs of 11x17's on a 24" roll of HP Premium ID Satin paper.  There had been a few vaguely discernible marks on the calibration and profile targets, but the prints came out fine.  However, the last pair of 11x17's had a sprinkling of what appeared to be cyan dots in random places on the prints.

I removed and cleaned the two heads for cyan and blue ink, and the printer automatically realigned the heads.  The target seemed perfect.  I reprinted the last pair of 11x17's and there were no more spots.  Whew!

Then I noticed a three inch scratch about 7 inches up from the leading edge of the paper and 2 5/8 inches from the right edge as the paper comes out of the printer.  Thinking that perhaps I had left some dried ink or other debris on one of the heads I removed and re-cleaned the two heads and re-ran the print job.  The scratch came out in exactly the same place.  Examining the scratch with a magnifier I found that while appearing relatively straight (perpendicular to the leading edge of the roll) it was actually made up of 1/16" segments, varying by a degree or so from perpendicular, and not all parallel to each other.  There are no other marks on either of the 24"x17" pieces of the paper.

Could I have, in my cleaning of the area in which the heads fit, have damaged something?  Should I recalibrate the paper and try another print?  Could it just be a coincidence and not related to my cleaning?

Or, could it be the result of a paper flaw, or an out-of-round cardboard tube, or unevenly wound paper?

All I want to do is go back to my printing...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 08:32:36 am by walter.sk »

Charles Gast

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 11:15:54 am »

I wonder if one of the star wheels is sticking and dragging on the surface instead of rotating due to some foriegn debris in it ?

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 01:57:36 pm »

I wonder if one of the star wheels is sticking and dragging on the surface instead of rotating due to some foriegn debris in it ?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199376\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Maybe.  What I tried, and it seems to have worked, was to recalibrate the paper.  I then reprinted the two 11x17's, 2 up on the 24" roll.  No scratches, and a perfect gloss-enhanced satin finish.  I'm hoping that's all I had to do.

By the way, a gripe:  I tried to calibrate the paper iin APS.  However, the old calibration was seen as valid, and APS would not let me recalibrate.  It skipped that phase and moved me on to select a profiling target.

I had to revert to the Printer Utility to be able to force the printer to recalibrate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up