Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: B9180 Color Fidelity question  (Read 1963 times)

nhnus

B9180 Color Fidelity question
« on: June 01, 2008, 10:26:12 am »

I'm printing with an HP B9180 using CS3 on an intel IMac under 10.4.11.  I've been unhappy with my prints on Ilford Gold Fiber Silk and finally realized that the problem is extra yellow and a lack of red.  I've calibrated my monitor using the Apple calibration routine, I'm using the Ilford profile and soft proofing, but I haven't calibrated my printer.  For comparison, I printed the same image on Moab Entrada Natural and the colors matched well.  Is this a problem that requires a custom profile or are there some adjustments in the page setup/printing process that I'm missing?

Mark

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 11:33:46 am »

It is just a question of the profile used.
Make sure you do a calibration to ensure colour consistency. I doubt it is that alone, but a combination of a non hardware monitor calibration, perhaps a profile that was made on a printer that didn't have the calibration up to date, and perhaps a profiler that didn't make it as good as it should be.

If I had a profile for this media I'd let you try it but I don't have any Ilford silk.

nhnus

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 06:33:42 pm »

Neil,

thanks for the response.  It triggered further searching, which in turn let to the answer.  It turns out that it's something that was mentioned in CameraToPrint, which is the problem with having to "define" the type of paper when you install the profile.  I had chosen "Coated Inkjet".  When I switched that to "Photo" the color fidelity improved dramatically.  It would be nice if the paper manufacturer gave some indication of what that setting should be rather than leaving us to guess.

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up