Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1DS3 and ISO 800.  (Read 9793 times)

Panopeeper

1DS3 and ISO 800.
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 11:04:23 am »

I've noticed the files from the 800 are noticeably more flat than the 100 and 400 settings, due to grain, and the tones on skin are more harsh. They're usable, but you can definitely see a large drop in smoothness and tone transition, and even in some colors of skin tones not reproducing nearly as well as 400
What about posting a raw file demonstrating the effect?
Gabor

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
1DS3 and ISO 800.
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 03:59:18 am »

What about posting a raw file demonstrating the effect?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199702\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think we've nailed down the reason I was thinking this. The files I have were not shot as an experiment, but were in various sun/shade positions, and would not be a very good comparison. All the posts to this thread convinced me, for now, that it was me and not the camera.

But now you have me thinking about it. If I get time tomorrow, I'll do a test just to see if MY camera may be out of adjustment or something like that.

SeanFS

• http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
1DS3 and ISO 800.
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 06:29:40 pm »

I think we've nailed down the reason I was thinking this. The files I have were not shot as an experiment, but were in various sun/shade positions, and would not be a very good comparison. All the posts to this thread convinced me, for now, that it was me and not the camera.

But now you have me thinking about it. If I get time tomorrow, I'll do a test just to see if MY camera may be out of adjustment or something like that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199852\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you tried other Raw converters?  I could never get results I liked from my 1ds2 in ACR and ended up using Capture 1 . I can't see much difference with the 1ds3 files
One thing I consistently found was ACR would clip subtle upper end tones ( quite frequent on skin and also lighter areas of sky and sea) which could be very annoying as thought I had overexposed despite the histogram telling me otherwise.
Capture one is pretty clunky and  Capture 4 isn't a whole lot better ( but the sharpening has been much improved so it doesn't mean having to go to Photoshop to do it) but both do colour very well.
 I have had shots done at 3200 asa done on both cameras which I am very pleased with - naturally the 1ds3 is better,better colour at high asa , and more recoverable highlights , but both produce really excellent results in Capture software.
By the way - nothing against ACR, it does a splendid job of my old Kodak files ,  think they really nailed the profiles for those cameras, and its far faseter and easier to work with, but I can't help feeling the standard Canon profiles are  always a work in progress and I can never seem to realise the files' full potential there.

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
1DS3 and ISO 800.
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 04:14:25 am »

Have you tried other Raw converters? 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200482\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sean,

When I get a chance, I'll do a test and post them. I doubt my test will reveal anything that hasn't already been done. Under exposing with high ISO will waste your images. properly exposed high ISO should be usable.

sojournerphoto

1DS3 and ISO 800.
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 06:08:27 pm »

Sean,

When I get a chance, I'll do a test and post them. I doubt my test will reveal anything that hasn't already been done. Under exposing with high ISO will waste your images. properly exposed high ISO should be usable.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200538\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You could try silkypix too, if your on a pc, and rpp and raw devel;oper are recommended for the macs.

Mike

sojournerphoto

1DS3 and ISO 800.
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 06:09:28 pm »

nothing against ACR, it does a splendid job of my old Kodak files ,  think they really nailed the profiles for those cameras, and its far faseter and easier to work with, but I can't help feeling the standard Canon profiles are  always a work in progress and I can never seem to realise the files' full potential there.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200482\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think the 1Ds3 profile is better than the 5D out of the box, but once they're issued they don't seem tochange - so fixed as a work in progress!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up