Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson support e-mail address needed  (Read 2220 times)

mike_botelho

• http://
Epson support e-mail address needed
« on: May 29, 2008, 01:30:59 pm »

I need to e-mail Epson with an image attached that illustrates a problem I've recently had, but the e-mail link on their support website is not working for me.  Does anyone have a support e-mail address that I could use?

I'd rather e-mail than call at this point, since I want to illustrate my problem.

Thanks, and Kind Regards,

Mike

Farmer

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 05:25:30 pm »

Since your side-bar profile doesn't mention, you may want to specify which country you're in...

Although I'd recommend that you call them first and get an appropriate address rather than just email in cold when no one is expecting it.

You could also post your image here and someone may be able to help.
Phil Brown

mike_botelho

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 05:59:08 pm »

Since your side-bar profile doesn't mention, you may want to specify which country you're in...

Although I'd recommend that you call them first and get an appropriate address rather than just email in cold when no one is expecting it.

You could also post your image here and someone may be able to help.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198857\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I added my location to my profile.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Actually the printer went a bit nuts and ran through seven extensive cleanings the first couple of times I used it, and used up about a third of my ink during my printing a few 3"x6" proofs.  It seems to have calmed down now, but I'd certainly like to inform Epson about this, and I figured a screen capture of my ink levels after a few prints would support my statements.  Though I suppose I don't really have any proof that I used the ink in other ways, but I wasn't videotaping my actions, so its really the best I can do.

Maybe I'll just call.  I just thought the visuals would prove I'm not exaggerating, or at least support me.  I was also trying to spare them the bad publicity until I found out how they responded, but the truth is the truth, and that's what happened.

Kind Regards.

Mike

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 07:28:38 pm »

I think they'll be interested to hear.

Are you sure it was cleaning?  You do realise that about 25% of the first cartridges ends up filling the lines (after ejecting the shipping fluid)?  Most of the ink is not lost - it's just in the lines, but the cartridges have to report the ink levels as they are so it looks like you've lost a heap of ink.

Ultimately, you have because the day you decide to stop using the printer and run it to "empty" there will still be ink in the lines.  Unfortunately, for any inkjet of any brand, you can not ship with ink in the lines because obviously you risk it setting and permanently blocking them.

Smaller consumer printers show less of this effect because the cartridges are often on the head and thus the lines are almost negligible.  With pro level printers the cartridges will be off-head and therefore need significant lines to feed them.

If you're saying about a third then I suspect you're just seeing the normal intitial charge (and that's what you would have heard - the shipping fluid being pumped out and the ink being pumped in to prime it).
Phil Brown

mike_botelho

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 09:14:34 pm »

I think they'll be interested to hear.

Are you sure it was cleaning?  You do realise that about 25% of the first cartridges ends up filling the lines (after ejecting the shipping fluid)?  Most of the ink is not lost - it's just in the lines, but the cartridges have to report the ink levels as they are so it looks like you've lost a heap of ink.

Ultimately, you have because the day you decide to stop using the printer and run it to "empty" there will still be ink in the lines.  Unfortunately, for any inkjet of any brand, you can not ship with ink in the lines because obviously you risk it setting and permanently blocking them.

Smaller consumer printers show less of this effect because the cartridges are often on the head and thus the lines are almost negligible.  With pro level printers the cartridges will be off-head and therefore need significant lines to feed them.

If you're saying about a third then I suspect you're just seeing the normal intitial charge (and that's what you would have heard - the shipping fluid being pumped out and the ink being pumped in to prime it).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198876\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When, I initially installed the ink carts on my 3800, I saw about a 20-25% dip in ink levels when the lines were primed.  The R1900 has the ink carts right on the print head, like smaller desktops, so priming is minimal in comparison.

When I installed the ink carts in the R1900, the printer primed itself in a brief process and the ink levels showed hardly any change.  Then, I went ahead and produced my first print, a small proof, and everything was OK and the ink carts were just about 100%.

The second time I went to print a small proof, the printer went through 2 cycles of what sounded like a extensive cleaning.  The next time I went to print a small proof, the printer was on its forth such cycle when I had to unplug it to stop the process from going on indefinitely.  The next time I printed a small image, the printer did 2 more such cycles, and, by that time, I'd shown a big loss of ink.

The point is that I printed my first print before any of these cycles took place, so they were not the initial priming.  Also, I ran a nozzle check each time, to check the printer before I used it, and there were no clogged nozzles each time it did the cleanings.  And, like I said, the R1900 doesn't have lines leading to the print head like larger models, as the carts on on the print head assembly.

It seems to have resolved the problem at this point, but I'm out $40 or so  of ink for no real reason.  Not to mention that the R1900 doesn't have a maintenance cart like the 3800, so, if 30ml or so of ink has been used for cleaning, I'm wondering how much closer to a service call I've gotten after producing only a few small prints (as I assume enough waste ink ends up in an error message when the printer can't hold any more waste ink internally).

Overall, pretty frustrating, though a nice printer.

Kind Regards,

Mike

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 10:39:27 pm »

That sounds very odd, Mike.  I'd definitely call Epson and let them know.  It's also a little tricky in that you had to switch the printer off, because the information written back to the carts may not have been accurate (they might not be as empty as they seem or they might be even more empty...)

Sounds like a legitimate issue and one would hope that you might receive a set of inks at least to cover you.
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up