Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What raw format do u use?  (Read 4925 times)

sid_v

What raw format do u use?
« on: May 29, 2008, 12:49:20 am »

hi,

i'd like to know if there is any speed difference in Raw, IIQL and IIQS? Personally i only notice filesize difference and sometimes the IIQS seems to have a slow transfer than full size raw. Also i'm not sure i see a major quality difference between raw and IIQL. So just wondering what other phase users are shooting in.

sid.

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 02:46:31 am »

hi,

i'd like to know if there is any speed difference in Raw, IIQL and IIQS? Personally i only notice filesize difference and sometimes the IIQS seems to have a slow transfer than full size raw. Also i'm not sure i see a major quality difference between raw and IIQL. So just wondering what other phase users are shooting in.

sid.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198671\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is a noticeable speed hit or improvment, though not overwhelming tethered or non tethered with the p30plus and p21 plus.

The quality difference is not noticeable in low iso and properly exposed images, though you will see more chroma and lumianice noise in higher iso and underexposed images on small vs. large.

JR

sid_v

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 03:56:12 am »

There is a noticeable speed hit or improvment, though not overwhelming tethered or non tethered with the p30plus and p21 plus.

The quality difference is not noticeable in low iso and properly exposed images, though you will see more chroma and lumianice noise in higher iso and underexposed images on small vs. large.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198686\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thanx james,
so i take it u prefer IIQL? I use an h20 so untethered is no option...and the speed on datasheet is 3sec for file transfer with standard raw. I get about 3-4secs with all raw formats. I shoot on a compaq laptop with 1.66mhz and 1.25gb ram. If i get a mac, suppose same confg or higher, will i notice any speed boost with an H20?

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 11:09:35 am »

hi,

sid.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sid,

Here is an article from Phase One's Knowledge Base.  It will explain the IIQL and IIQS file sizes and what differences are:

[a href=\"http://www.phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Support/Article.aspx?articleid=1447&LanguageID=1&layoutid=SupportSite%20-%20Main]http://www.phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Suppo...Site%20-%20Main[/url]

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta/ Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell  

sid_v

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 02:27:34 pm »

thanx for the article chris, found the following:

" IIQ RAW is available for Phase One’s H-series:
IIQ RAW Large and IIQ RAW Small have been included in Phase One’s latest C1 RAW workflow software to make it available to Phase One’s H series as well. Obviously, IIQ RAW conversion is done after capture on the H-series and not on-the-fly like on the P-series, which makes the conversion slightly more time-consuming. However the benefits of having a smaller RAW file format are the same. "

Does this mean the standard raw fromat (not IIQ L or S) would be faster on my h20? I didn't notice any significant difference though.

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 03:14:36 pm »

IIQ RAW Large and IIQ RAW Small have been included in Phase One’s latest C1 RAW workflow software to make it available to Phase One’s H series as well. Obviously, IIQ RAW conversion is done after capture on the H-series and not on-the-fly like on the P-series, which makes the conversion slightly more time-consuming. However the benefits of having a smaller RAW file format are the same. "

Does this mean the standard raw fromat (not IIQ L or S) would be faster on my h20? I didn't notice any significant difference though.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198812\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think the best way to quickly review a medium format file, in my case the Phase files is with I'view.

The preview is small so checking detailed focus is not an option, but since the previews are small it will load thousands of files very quickly.

I think I-view is great for renaming, editing out the junk and moving images into the correct sessions as it is a drag and drop process.

JR

sid_v

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 11:41:37 pm »

I think the best way to quickly review a medium format file, in my case the Phase files is with I'view.

The preview is small so checking detailed focus is not an option, but since the previews are small it will load thousands of files very quickly.

I think I-view is great for renaming, editing out the junk and moving images into the correct sessions as it is a drag and drop process.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198826\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hi james,
my only concern is about the transfer speed. Previews/accessing files is quite fast on my system.

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 09:41:23 am »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

With your H20 you won't see a significant speed difference since it does not have on board processors like the P and P+ series backs.  I would recommend staying with the IIQL file size since it allows more data to be captured, especially with extreme lighting scenarios.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell  
Pages: [1]   Go Up