Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bag-Vertex or Karachi  (Read 1768 times)

MDaniels80

Bag-Vertex or Karachi
« on: May 28, 2008, 09:31:58 pm »

I am looking for a new bag since I now have the D300 and plan on purchasing the 70-200 VR in the near future. I am currently considering 2 bags- the Crumpler Karachi or the Lowepro Vertex 200. Below is a list of equip I hope to fit in it. I've seen both at the store, but only briefly, so I am not sure what would fit in either. Lowepro's site seems to be having problems and the Crumpler's did not seem detailed enough.

Equipment I have is:
D300
D70s
18-200VR
10-20 Sigma
105mm Macro Sigma
70-300VR
50mm prime
18-70 (primarily attached to D70s with Infrared Filter)
70-200VR (near future purchase)
SB600 Speedlight
3021B PRO Tripod (Manfrotto)
15" laptop

I primarily chose the two bags because they're large and they hold laptops. Now thinking maybe I don't necessarily need it to carry a laptop- I could just use a seperate case- but though it would be convenient.

Asethically I preferred the crumpler, but I am not sure if it would hold all the equipment (possibly might have too much for one bag to begin with). The Vertex seemed a little bulky and large. Would also be using this for hiking (when traveliing- for about 3-4hrs tops- not fully loaded of course). I liked the belt strap of the Vertex, but again I felt like I had a luggage bag on my back, rather than something for a hike.

Also not sure if the crumpler would hold my tripod, as their site only lists "compact tripod" so I am not sure what that means.

If anyone has experience with either and could recommend one or the either, or even another bag I am not considering, I would really appreciate it.

Again, I plan on using this for trips/travel, where I will also be hiking. For daily use I am using the Slingshot 200- nice bag but for extended period a strain on the shoulder.

Thanks!

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Bag-Vertex or Karachi
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:37:23 pm »

The only way to judge properly is to take your kit and stuff it inside and then see how comfy it is to wear and how the bag suits how you work.

Lowepro do backpacks with a waist strap and two shoulder straps now.  I bought one recently, sems very nice.
I'd also look at Think Tank, they make some very nice kit, my last Airplane friendly bag was a TT Airport Addicted  to replace my old Lowe Pro Stealth. Good value too, plus it carries loads of kit including a laptop in a nice bag with strap, very handy. Can weigh a lot when full though!!  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 11:45:04 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up