Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Presets  (Read 2732 times)

creativepro

Presets
« on: May 28, 2008, 02:19:59 am »

I would like to apply some presets on top of each other.  Unfortunately the each preset cancel the last preset

Does anybody know how to apply multiple presets in Lightroom so they don't overwrite each others' settings.

thank you

Sue

sniper

Presets
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 03:28:26 am »

The only way I have found is to export as a jpeg and re-import, although there must be a better way.   Wayne

timhurst

• Tim Hurst Photography
Presets
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 03:59:00 am »

I would like to apply some presets on top of each other.  Unfortunately the each preset cancel the last preset

Does anybody know how to apply multiple presets in Lightroom so they don't overwrite each others' settings.
thank you
Sue
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198470\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When you save the preset make sure only the relevant controls are ticked off in the dialog that pops up.

eg if it's a sharpening preset make sure white balance is not checked.

DavidB

• http://davidburren.com/
Presets
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 04:11:17 am »

Each Develop preset (I presume those are the presets you're referring to) contains a list of values for the various controls (whichever controls were included in the preset).
But they're absolute values, not relative ("set value to X", not "increase value by X").  So no, there's no simple way to combine them.

As suggested, you could apply one preset, create a TIFF/PSD of it (not a JPEG) and then apply another preset to that.  But you'd be losing the advantages of parametric editing (what happens when you want to go back and tweak settings on the original RAW?).  I do NOT recommend this path.

There's no interface to show you exactly what's in a Develop preset, but if you can work out how much the settings are changed, you could try manually doing those changes to an image that's already had another preset applied, and eventually work out the resulting set of appropriate combined values (then save them as a preset for future use).
You can either find out what's in the preset by examining which sliders move where when applying/undoing the preset, or if you're a bit more "techy" you can go and look at the values inside the preset's .lrtemplate file (it's XML and vaguely human-readable).

I've never been keen on the supplied Develop presets, especially when teaching Lightroom to students.  They encourage a "click-n-pray" experimental technique to edit images, rather than encouraging users to understand what's actually going on.  They can provide useful examples of what can be done, but it's worthwhile then going through and working out how to do it yourself!

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Presets
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 06:34:12 am »

Maybe one should ask yourself 'why do I want to apply more than one preset?'. If it's simply to calibrate, then say sharpen and then to maybe make image B+W [as that makes sense workflow wise], Then do as mentioned above and only tick relevant boxes in each preset. Otherwise if you want to say alter colours a second time, why not create another preset? Which does what you want the combined presets to do.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up