Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica R8/R9 DMR Experience  (Read 17821 times)

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Leica R8/R9 DMR Experience
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 10:58:40 am »

Yeah its kind of like the H3D  .... in that its even got the lens corrections in there, too.  Really great kit.  Still standing tall against the canon 5D, and even 1Ds3 in terms of IQ at low ISO's.

I don't use mine as much now that I have the Rollei 6008/p20 but every time I go through my image catalog and look at the files I am taken by how good they are.
Rolleiflex USA

Ignatz_Mouse

Leica R8/R9 DMR Experience
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 01:20:15 pm »

I bought the DMR as soon as I could get one to use with my R9. It's a great digital device with its own "character" (erratic AWB, for instance) and, as it has been said, a gorgeous IQ if you work within the 100-400 ISO margins (I can't see the 800 good enough and the 1600 totally unusable and just there as a testimonial feature). You will take the best of its files with C1 or Flexcolor, forget about ACR. If you wear glasses (that's my case) looking through the viewfinder could be a bit difficult because the integration between the R8/R9, being quite good, is not perfect and some design issues must be taken into consideration. About the quality of the Leica glass there's nothing I can say that hasn´t been said yet.

I wouldn`t say as a definitive statement that the R system is a "dead end"... Rumours aside, there is just two things we can take for sure about the upcoming R10: it will be an AF DSLR and it will incorporate a FF (at least) sensor with no AA filter. The "bigger than FF" sensor with 40 Mpx is just pure speculation. It is true that in his last interviews Kaufmann hasn't totally confirmed that the actual R lenses will work with the new camera or how they would work but I see hardly improbable that Leica had any interest in turning the actual R line obsolete because I think they would be shooting in their feet if they decide to do such thing: Leica needs desperately new customers (the ones that are not interested in the Ms) but can't survive without the existing ones that have a huge investment in R gear,  so they have to provide an acceptable pathway from the "old" R system to the "new" one.

If you like the DMR and the R glass I would buy one right now without hesitation. The only options out there would be a 1DMarkIII or 1DsMarkIII (accepting the WA restrictions) with a R-to-EOS adapter. Or just forgetting about the Leica and going after a Canon or Nikon high-end system or, better, taking the MFDB route.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up