Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HPHahn TexturedFAP 310g:Custom paper?  (Read 3114 times)

walter.sk

HPHahn TexturedFAP 310g:Custom paper?
« on: May 26, 2008, 09:22:58 pm »

My 24" roll of HP Hahnemuhle Textured Fine Art Paper 310gsm arrived.  The Z3100 printer driver has a preset under Fine Art Material, with HP Hahn. TFAP.  It doesn't say whether it is for the 260 gsm or 310 gsm paper, so I assumed it was for the lighter weight paper.

As a result, I made a new custom paper out of my 310 gsm paper, based on HP's Hahn TFAP as the paper type.  I then tried to change the qualities of the paper type and found the adjustment for head height grayed out.  I assume, then, that the paper preset is for the higher head height.  I calibrated the paper and profiled it with APS.
Thankfully, I got no head strikes, pizza wheel marks or rubber roller marks, even though my printer has the original hardware.  Now, some questions:

1)  Am I right in assuming, now, that when HP set up the paper type, that they used the higher head setting?

2)  My APS-generated profile is muddy on the shadow end of things, and the darker reds come out horrible. (I'm using the most recent firmware, drivers and paper settings.)   Does HP have a profile for that paper?  Would it be reachable if I simply reloaded my paper using the printer driver's HP Hahnemuhle Textured Fine Art Paper?

3)  This is a pretty stiff paper, and as thick as I will probably need.  Since I had no problems with head strikes or roller marks, can I assume that I don't need to have my roller and star wheel assemblies changed for the new ones?  I have printed on canvas as well, and had no problems.

This paper, by the way, has a wonderful look and feel to it, and compares very favorably with the Bergger PN33.  I didn't like highly textured paper until a friend gave me some of the Bergger to try, and it's great for things like moody seascapes and country landscapes.  The Bergger is textured to the same degree as the HP Hahnemuhle TFAP, but has a more regular texture while the Hahn. has a "craqueline" type of texture (if there is such a word).  I think I prefer the Hahn.  The Bergger is also unavailable in rolls, and is more expensive than the Hahnemuhle, on a per square foot basis.

Even though I'm not happy with my profile, this paper already gives my prints depth and a glowing quality.  If I can only get the reds right...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 09:24:54 pm by walter.sk »

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:01:24 pm »

Assuming you're running the latest firmware and software have you looked at the HP Tech Newsletter?  It should point you to some options you might try for paper type.  

1.) the Tech Newsletter indicates a High carriage height

2.) HP should have a profile for that paper.  I have one that came with the latest firmware/software (6.0.0.8 - standard Z3100)

3.) I don't recall any reports of any of these problems with canvas or matte papers.

If the shadows are blocking up you might want to limit the ink load.  I don't know if that will affect the reds.  When I've had problems with reds and matte papers Ive tried the HP Matte Litho-Realistic paper type.

I've not tried this paper type so these are only suggestions.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 10:09:36 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 07:34:06 pm »

Assuming you're running the latest firmware and software have you looked at the HP Tech Newsletter?  It should point you to some options you might try for paper type. 

1.) the Tech Newsletter indicates a High carriage height

2.) HP should have a profile for that paper.  I have one that came with the latest firmware/software (6.0.0.8 - standard Z3100)

3.) I don't recall any reports of any of these problems with canvas or matte papers.

If the shadows are blocking up you might want to limit the ink load.  I don't know if that will affect the reds.  When I've had problems with reds and matte papers Ive tried the HP Matte Litho-Realistic paper type.

I've not tried this paper type so these are only suggestions.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198212\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the reference to the Tech Newsletter.  Today I loaded and calibrated the HP Hahnemuhle Textured FAP directly rather than as a custom paper, and tried it using HP's profile.  I was a bit surprised to find that the shadow detail was somewhat better, and the reds had a little more life than they did with my Z3100's APS profile.  

It is somewhat disappointing to find that the generic profile is better than the one the printer generated.

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 08:34:46 pm »

Thanks for the reference to the Tech Newsletter.  Today I loaded and calibrated the HP Hahnemuhle Textured FAP directly rather than as a custom paper, and tried it using HP's profile.  I was a bit surprised to find that the shadow detail was somewhat better, and the reds had a little more life than they did with my Z3100's APS profile. 

It is somewhat disappointing to find that the generic profile is better than the one the printer generated.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198419\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is disappointing that the supplied profile works better than the APS generated profile. I think Neil Snape might be able to comment on the differences between the two.  My understanding is that the supplied profile is NOT the 400 patch profile from the base printer.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 08:35:18 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up