Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Skin Tones  (Read 5382 times)

mbruce

Skin Tones
« on: May 26, 2008, 02:55:03 pm »

I'm having a little difficulty with getting some portrait skin tones just right.  After importing with Bridge and retouching, the final skin tone is just a little too pink for my taste.  Is there a trick someone can share that can convert the pink into a more tan skin tone?  Thanks

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Skin Tones
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 03:12:32 pm »

With what software are you calibrating your displays and printers? Are you judging prints or just the display? Also, how does paper white compare to the whites on your display in terms of color and brightness?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

mbruce

Skin Tones
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 03:18:44 pm »

I've used ColorMunki to calibrate the display, and I'm using ImagePrint's RIP for a LexJet paper that I'm using.  I trust the monitor, but I'm still screwing around with the RIP.  I know what I need to do long term; I just need a quick fix to remove the pink from the skin tones in a portrait I need to get out quickly.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Skin Tones
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 04:14:52 pm »

When you say the skin tones are too pink, are you judging prints, the display or both? What profiles are you using in ImagePrint? Are your image files RAW or JPEGs?

These questions are critical to understanding your situation and offering good advice.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

mbruce

Skin Tones
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 05:34:18 pm »

To me, the monitor looks like a nice flesh tone - a little pink, but acceptable.  I'm using the ImagePrint supplied profile for LexJet eSatin photo paper.  I'm using both the DAY (daylight) and R2 (mixed mode lighting) profiles.  I am loading Photoshop psd files into ImagePrint and the prints are losing the flesh tones I see on the monitor.

Because the printer profile was specifically made by ColorByte for that LexJet media, I suspect the problem is with the monitor profile.  I just got this ColorMunki, and there's a calibration setting for target white point to be either 5000, 6500, or "Native".  My profile uses Native, but there are a lot of issues I still don't understand about this ColorMunki device.

I know what the right thing to do is - calibrate both devices until there's a match.  But, I have to get this job out quick, so I'm looking to correct within Photoshop.

Tim Lookingbill

Skin Tones
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 06:32:16 pm »

The only quick fix would be to use Replace Color and sample the skintone in question and add some yellow, but you'll be operating blind of course. And would require using the same settings on the printer and Imageprint requiring multiple print tests.

How do you know which device is off? Do you have a standard fleshtone target that matched both display and printer at one point? Download the PDI standard color target you can find on the web and check the fleshtones. The baby on the far right should have a orangish pink tone compared to the other caucasian baby which should look pinkish.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 06:33:06 pm by tlooknbill »

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Skin Tones
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 10:33:32 pm »

Because the printer profile was specifically made by ColorByte for that LexJet media, I suspect the problem is with the monitor profile.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198149\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It is a good idea to try and figure out which is which is more accurate. Since you've got the munki you might as well make a profile for that paper via ImagePrint as well. I've never been crazy about CB's profiles and I suspect you can do better with the munki.

As for display calibration, think about calibrating to a white point that matches paper white under your lighting conditions - both in terms of color and brightness. Of course, higher quality lighting also goes a long way to seeing a print's true color and matching that on screen.

As for the quick fix in Photoshop you might try shifting the red hues toward yellow with the Hue/Saturation adjustment. I'm sure many others will chip in with their favorite ways of doing this too.

Whatever you do make sure you are viewing your prints under high quality lighting. If you only have incandescent lighting, then daylight through a window is preferable. For the long haul, consider Solux lighting if you haven't already.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Michael Bailey

Skin Tones
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 11:30:12 pm »

I don't know the state of your color calibration, but your problem sounds like a very common one, especially in digital photography, where cameras seem to want to make skin a bit on the ruddy-red side.

As hard as it may seem, the solution is to add a little green. Yes, green. That's what makes the red shift into the yellow direction.

I have two routines for this. In Camera Raw, I choose Red Hue in the Calibrate tab, slide it 7 or 8 units to the right. Then I slide Saturation down about the same amount under Saturation. I use this method so often that I keep these settings as part of my ACR default.

In Photoshop proper, the drill is similar: make a Hue/Saturation Adjustment layer, pick Red from the scroll-down, click once on the offending skin to refine the selection, then slide the Hue 3 or 4 units higher, and slide Saturation down a few units.

Hope this helps.

MB

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Skin Tones
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 06:49:40 am »

The other thing worth considering is doing a calibration for each camera you use, as that may possibly help to correct things like this.
There are some threads on here regarding clibrating ACR/LR using things like the Fors script and a Gretag Macbeth colour checker chart.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....&hl=fors+script

Some other releventish stuff here
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up