Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Horrible images at Leaf Afi or Sinar Hy6 manual  (Read 11241 times)

xinchenc

Horrible images at Leaf Afi or Sinar Hy6 manual
« on: May 26, 2008, 01:01:49 pm »

Cannot believe these images at the Leaf Afi or Sinar Hy6 operation manual are for a $3xxxx value professional medium-format camera.

Look at the manuals for the same price Audi. Sinar or Leaf should feel shamed.

Just took some pictures for my Afi:

yaya

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 01:55:32 pm »

Please let me make my point clear.

Japanese camera manufacturers almost do not  use real photo as diagrams in their camera manuals, however since Sinar and Leaf use real photos, please use some real profesional quality photos.

That is a quality standard in my mind for such a camera at $3xxxx value. The camera is really great, a real break-through design. So its maual should be matched.

Thanks,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198082\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Which AFi manual are you referring to?

This image is taken from the page describing the insertion of the battery into the grip:

You can send an email directly to with any comments about the product or if there's any information missing that cannot be provided by your dealer.
We will always do our best to provide the best possible quality of service.

Yair

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 02:15:41 pm »

If my post bothers you or others or Sinar or Leaf, I will NOT post my using experience again on this forum.

Thanks,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198093\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Xin,

I don't think anyone is suggesting that you stop posting here, but you seem to be complaining about things before you have researched them properly or asked for advice from your dealer. Maybe it is a cultural difference but it can seem impolite to some people to make every little problem public when it is not necessary.

If something is not in the manual and your dealer can't help then this is the place to come and ask. Oh, and there is a difference between asking and complaining

In English we say "it is easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar"

Cheers, Graham

samuel_js

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 03:05:46 pm »

But to go back the point, the picture really sucks. Is the kind of pictures I take to sell things on eBay and such.    I don't expect that on a manual.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 03:07:23 pm by samuel_js »

Carl Glover

• http://www.alephstudio.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 03:17:55 pm »

To be honest, I've got used to manuals on niche-market goods being a tad 'folky'. In a way it's part of the charm, needless to say, the information is clear - that is the most important part.

The revolving back adaptor is amazing - it has really simplified things a great deal. Some of my old PQS lenses work at 1000th of a second too.

For me, the Hy6 really delivers the goods. 'Nuff said.

BJNY

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 03:23:06 pm »

Xin Chen,
It doesn't get more sophisticated than this:
http://leaf-photography.com/ShowScience.as.../science/intro/
Guillermo

RobertJ

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 04:40:20 pm »

Umm, for the record:
A manual is a manual.  It is NOT a book of well photographed product photography.  The images are used to instruct you, not to wow you with correct product lighting techique, or advertise the product to you, or sell the product to you.  They've already done the selling part.

Caracalla

• http://
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 06:04:45 pm »

Which AFi manual are you referring to?

This image is taken from the page describing the insertion of the battery into the grip:

Therefore, Leaf uses every opportunity to show their PR images without the battery attached.

edwinb

• http://www.image2output.com
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 06:18:47 pm »

Umm, for the record:
A manual is a manual.  It is NOT a book of well photographed product photography.  The images are used to instruct you, not to wow you with correct product lighting techique, or advertise the product to you, or sell the product to you.  They've already done the selling part.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If anyone would like to comment on the sinar hy6 manual (you can download here-
[a href=\"http://www.image2output.com/user_resources/TextFiles/pdfs/sinar_hy6_operation.pdf]http://www.image2output.com/user_resources...6_operation.pdf[/url] )
I will happilly collate and see if we can improve it if required or you feel it helpful
Edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output
m:  +44 (0) 7836 674749
e: edwin@image2output.com
w: Sinar |  Foba |Inkjet

yaya

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 06:25:01 pm »

Nice, but I would like to see it with the DB battery attached.

Obviously it doesn't look as good with the battery  

Therefore, Leaf uses every opportunity to show their PR images without the battery attached.

Well this is not a PR image this is a technical one taken from the manual.

The 2nd battery is optional which is why it is not shown in most of our marketing materials.

Yair

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 12:05:56 am »

To speek at a forum having a complete different culture is not easy.

Many Chinese photo fans surf on foregin photo web sites and even speek there like me. But can you see some foreign photo fans surf on Chinese photo web sites and speek there?

It is not just a language issue. This about it.

Thanks,

Xin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198236\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

nihoa Xin
This does not make sense.
What I have learned from the Chinese culture in the last 3 years is the whole issue of losing face and humbleness.
According to your chinese culture you make this forum and yourself lose face by your unconstructive complaints.
m*

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 12:34:13 am »

I think it's time to move on.
As an Hy6 user,I do agree that the manual doesn't win any awards for design.
Like was said before,if they would sell Hy6's by the truck load ,maybe a bit more money
could have been spend on product photography.

In the case of the Hy6,in my opinion ,all it has to do,is how to use the camera.

In that case,the manual does it's job.

Cheers,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 12:44:11 am »

I have avoided to write something, to not inflame the debate. I have had an explanation with Xin via PM. The information that the manual's pics "suck" has gone through and it has been forwarded.

I wish simply to say what others have mentioned: we do not sell thousands of units a months, like Audi in China for example, are small companies and do put our efforts where it seems to be important and necessary to us, namely produce a manual which gives the user the best possible information.

Best regards,
Thierry
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 01:17:59 am »

Xinchenc,

You said you only had posted only one complaint in this forum. This listing has debunked that claim now, right? You put a lot of assumptions in all those complaints I quoted from you. If you are going to make claims you better make sure you add some serious evidence to it. Especially when you are going to accuse people for being not professional or untrustful. This is not a People's Court of internet judges with you as the People's Prosecutor. I don't need any proof for you fabricating stories (I didn't say you were). It's you who needs to prove that your accusations are correct. None of your accusations were in response to someone else's claim. You seem to use this platform to put people (suppliers) under pressure, without giving them a fair chance to solve your issues between you. To me that smells like unfair play.

And if you still wonder why Canon or Nikon do a different job on a manual: they plan to sell hundreds of thousands of cameras. Putting a big team to work for just the manuals costs only a fraction of the entire turnover. For small companies like Sinar and Leaf it is relatively very costly to produce a perfect manual. And despite that you have already had an offer to come up with suggestions for improvement. You could take up on that offer...

I've said enough now. Think about it, or don't if that is what you prefer.

Regards,
EPd
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198208\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think xinchen means to be so rough in his tone (translating mandarin to english can result in strong unsubtle words) but looking at the gist of his complaint it's probably pretty true that the instruction manuals of many high end products could use some quality control.

it doesn't matter how small the company is, as a mark of professionalism one would think that a clear concise instruction manual is a sign of high standards and pride of a camera manufacturer

samuel_js

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 04:30:29 am »

Is the Hy6 manual printed? Or is it a pdf? Because if it's printed it's already better than Hasselblad. They just included a pdf with my the H2. Even the H1 came with a printed version. Bad.....
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 04:30:47 am by samuel_js »

edwinb

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 04:54:32 am »

Is the Hy6 manual printed? Or is it a pdf? Because if it's printed it's already better than Hasselblad. They just included a pdf with my the H2. Even the H1 came with a printed version. Bad.....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198264\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I think its fair to say that updates are so rapid these days that continiously producing printed manuals for relativly short run products with a high update rate is not optimum and that pdf format fits the updatability/distribution requirement better. For most high-end camera clients the dealer will train and demonstrate the product so the pdf performs a portable aide-memoir rather than primary training function. If a client asks for a printed copy I know that on occaision Sinar have printed and sent the latest version as have we.
This follows the wider commercial trend where Digital printing has changed manaul storage to be primarilly electronic for short run documents and I have worked with corporates delivering sales brochures literally print -on -demand from a virtual document warehouse.
I personally prefer to read a printed copy and usually print out befor reading anything more than 2 pages and would also appreciate a manual with a purchase.
so its probably best for the dealers to print manuals on delivery and I think most would be happy to oblige.

Edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output

edwinb

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 04:55:36 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198264\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 04:57:05 am by edwinb »
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output

yaya

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 06:51:38 am »

For anyone who needs to see the Leaf AFi manual it is available from our website.
It's a fairly large 8MB PDF mind you.

Yair

dustblue

• http://www.moko.cc/dustblue
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 06:48:48 am »

Please, don't say it like that.
Every place have its own rules, you adapt yourselt to it or you leave. I dont't think this is about culture, not at all, and please don't confuse people about it. You speak only on your OWN behalf, but not Chinese.
Most Chinese professionals don't speak English, this is why there are few chinese guys here. BUT well educated chinese pros are all really polite and humble AFAIK.

Xinchenc, I understand your feeling now, if you do agree this is your fault, FEEL FREE and just don't do it again, you won't be an enemy.  if not, please do think about it before you post another thread which maybe taken as hotheaded "complaint" by other people.

To speek at a forum having a complete different culture is not easy.

Many Chinese photo fans surf on foregin photo web sites and even speek there like me. But can you see some foreign photo fans surf on Chinese photo web sites and speek there?

It is not just a language issue. This about it.

Thanks,

Xin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198236\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up