Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 645AFD and new Mamiya 75-150 lens compatibi  (Read 5021 times)

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Mamiya 645AFD and new Mamiya 75-150 lens compatibi
« on: May 26, 2008, 12:36:55 pm »

Earlier there were some concerns regarding the compatibility of the new Mamiya 75-150 lens and the "older" Mamiya 645 AFD camera body with a MFDB.

I shared these same concerns particularly after reading B&H Photo's website listing for this lens---which is somewhat misleading.

I finally took the plunge after receiving some reassurances.  The new Mamiya 75-150 lens is very very nice.  It works well on my old workhorse 645AFD and Phase P30 digital back.  What a great combination for my work.  Now it has me thinking about that new Mamiya/Phase body....

As a side note, I saved nearly $1000 off the normal msrp by purchasing this lens from "Ahmuay" on Ebay.  I've been buying new Mamiya items from him for over five years now.  Worth looking into for those using a Mamiya platform.... (And no---I have no business connection with him).

Anyway-----no problems using the newer "D" Mamiya lenses on the old Mamiya 645AFD.

ken

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 01:09:53 pm »

I just bought a 300mm 4.5 from him, so that is good news to hear. I am really looking for the new 150MM 2.8 D lens if anyone hears of one , I WANT IT. LOL
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Ken Doo

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 01:25:40 pm »

I just bought a 300mm 4.5 from him, so that is good news to hear. I am really looking for the new 150MM 2.8 D lens if anyone hears of one , I WANT IT. LOL
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198077\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I got my Mamiya 300mm from Ahmuay too----Don Libby (Iron Creek Photography) handled it and bought his shortly thereafter.  We have an inside joke that if you touch it, you buy it.  As much as I really like the new Mamiya 28mm, I was very careful not to touch Don's 28mm Mamiya lens.....

Guy Mancuso

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 01:51:22 pm »

I got my Mamiya 300mm from Ahmuay too----Don Libby (Iron Creek Photography) handled it and bought his shortly thereafter.  We have an inside joke that if you touch it, you buy it.  As much as I really like the new Mamiya 28mm, I was very careful not to touch Don's 28mm Mamiya lens.....

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198079\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes don't touch the 28mm . I did have a chance to shoot it is San Juan on my workshop from Lance at CI and it IS a very nice lens. Found it a touch soft in the very far corners at f8 but at F11 and so I would expect it to get better. But hell this is a super wide on MF so really tough to design. I will get one someday. I got the Horseman SWDII with 35mm digitar with the purchase of my Phase 25 plus back so if I get tired of it than I will sell for the 28mm But I need to play and shoot this Horseman which is a lot of fun and a useful tool to have.

Jost von Allmen

• https://www.jostvonallmen.com
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 02:36:00 pm »

As a little side note: I was just able to test the new Phase One 645 (same as Mamiya AFD III) with various lenses over the weekend.
I compared the results to my ALPA SWA and the Rodenstock HR 35mm, 60mm, 100mm and Schneider Digitar 180mm.

The new AF 75-150mm "D" really surprised me: very convenient and great optical quality! If you can live with the limitations of f4,5 it's a save buy.

The 28mm was a mixed bag: In the attached file, you can see how much CA there was, but that can now easily be removed (automatically) with Capture One 4.1.

The old AF 2,8/80mm was a disappointment, unfortunately didn't get the new Phase One lens with it, which is supposed to be better.

The new 120mm Macro "D", the AF 2,8/45mm and the AF 4/200mm ULD worked very well, I'm now thinking of putting a whole set together as an addition to the ALPA, for when I want to take portraits or other handheld stuff in closer distances.

As I haven't been using the former models (AFD and AFD II) I cannot compare them to the new camera.
But I really liked the whole handling, including mirror lock up, custom functions and all the settings.
AF worked well (no comparison speedwise to the Nikon D3 though), and the lenses optically are great value for the money.

The Rodenstocks and my Digitar certainly aren't as flexibly usable but optically defenitely better (IF you are a pixel peeper...)

[attachment=6790:attachment]
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 03:17:07 pm by Jost von Allmen »
Jost von Allmen
Switzerland
www.jostvonallmen.com

Snook

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 03:43:31 pm »

Just another vouch for Ahmuay...
I have bought A LOT of equipment from him and the prices are great, shipping really fast..
I do think his stuff might be grey market for the prices.. But,  I have never really asked..??
Snook

Ken Doo

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 03:56:07 pm »

As a little side note: I was just able to test the new Phase One 645 (same as Mamiya AFD III) with various lenses over the weekend.
I compared the results to my ALPA SWA and the Rodenstock HR 35mm, 60mm, 100mm and Schneider Digitar 180mm.

The new AF 75-150mm "D" really surprised me: very convenient and great optical quality! If you can live with the limitations of f4,5 it's a save buy.

The 28mm was a mixed bag: In the attached file, you can see how much CA there was, but that can now easily be removed (automatically) with Capture One 4.1.

The old AF 2,8/80mm was a disappointment, unfortunately didn't get the new Phase One lens with it, which is supposed to be better.

The new 120mm Macro "D", the AF 2,8/45mm and the AF 4/200mm ULD worked very well, I'm now thinking of putting a whole set together as an addition to the ALPA, for when I want to take portraits or other handheld stuff in closer distances.

As I haven't been using the former models (AFD and AFD II) I cannot compare them to the new camera.
But I really liked the whole handling, including mirror lock up, custom functions and all the settings.
AF worked well (no comparison speedwise to the Nikon D3 though), and the lenses optically are great value for the money.

The Rodenstocks and my Digitar certainly aren't as flexibly usable but optically defenitely better (IF you are a pixel peeper...)

[attachment=6790:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198109\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jost----I would be very very very interested in your impressions of the new Phase/AFD III camera........how about a mini-review?  

Guy Mancuso

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 04:23:41 pm »

Jost----I would be very very very interested in your impressions of the new Phase/AFD III camera........how about a mini-review?   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198129\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes i just bought the P25 plus last week and waiting on the new Phase body myself. Love to hear first impressions also

STEVE K

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 06:38:24 pm »

Yes i just bought the P25 plus last week and waiting on the new Phase body myself. Love to hear first impressions also
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198133\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
What is AHMUAH's site listed as on ebay? Thanks

Ken Doo

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 06:50:17 pm »

What is AHMUAH's site listed as on ebay? Thanks
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Ebay ID is:  Ahmuay

I cut and pasted from Ebay:  [a href=\"http://myworld.ebay.com/ahmuay/]http://myworld.ebay.com/ahmuay/[/url]

ken

STEVE K

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 12:49:25 am »

thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up