Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibration obsolete after 2 hours  (Read 2788 times)

Charles Gast

Calibration obsolete after 2 hours
« on: May 26, 2008, 07:52:10 am »

I ran a calibration yesterday on the canvas I use.  It came up as obsolete so I calibrated. I then did a few prints. After about the third print it came up with the calibration warning saying the calibration was again obsolete.  I checked the date and even though yesterdays date was the 25th it said the date of calibration was the 26th and that it was nonetheless obsolete.  I looked in the printer information on the display and it does have the wrong date.  Anyone seen this before and know what to do?  I have recalibrated with this machine before and this did not happen.  I don't see any way to change the date the printer has on board.

Thanks
Charlie

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 08:39:05 am »

Charlie, are you running Windoze?  If so, try a reboot and see if that cures it.
Regards,
Ron

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 08:44:58 am »

Sounds like the printer is not updating or has a conflict with the host calibration (s).

Did you update anything, or add any new media lately?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 10:54:08 am »

I have had that too.( mac)
 The HP software is not that robust we can say- for most of the work it performs as it is supposed.

I don't know exactly how to avoid it, but I would suggest:

do the calibration from the printer utlility only and not directly from the printer nor from the APS.

I think that is a possible solution.

Pieter Kers
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 10:59:05 am »

For what it's worth, I've learned to ignore the calibration warnings. Perhaps it's because most of my photographs are landscape images where color accuracy is a bit less important than for fashion or product shots, but I  tend to re-calibrate only when I'm profiling a new paper.

I love the Z3100 overall, and it's been perfect for my needs. But it's fair to say that the driver (at least for Windows) is squirrely as hell, with lots of minor "issues". It tends to forget your custom paper sizes unless you reload them; it keeps screwing up landscape/portrait orientation; and the calibration reminder seems to be on constantly.

Yep. Great printer; crappy software.

Roscolo

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 12:20:14 pm »

For what it's worth, I've learned to ignore the calibration warnings. Perhaps it's because most of my photographs are landscape images where color accuracy is a bit less important than for fashion or product shots, but I  tend to re-calibrate only when I'm profiling a new paper.

I love the Z3100 overall, and it's been perfect for my needs. But it's fair to say that the driver (at least for Windows) is squirrely as hell, with lots of minor "issues". It tends to forget your custom paper sizes unless you reload them; it keeps screwing up landscape/portrait orientation; and the calibration reminder seems to be on constantly.

Yep. Great printer; crappy software.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198055\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Something has to be causing these issues, but it may be a little shortsighted to just blame the software. I have many custom paper sizes, about 35-40 and it has never "forgotten" one. I only print portrait - rotate images in Photoshop - this makes it easier on my brain. And the calibration reminder only comes on after about a month after calibration, maybe it's 2 weeks, not sure, but it's not on constantly.

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 02:23:40 pm »

Charles,

I have the same problem in Win XP Pro. This is the only issue I have with the Z3100 Printer Utility. Sometimes it simply forgets how to look at the calibration date and gives the obsolete warning even though it was just done and the date is still correct. It also does this inconsistently. I have just learned to live with it.

I calibrate anyway if a printhead or ink cartridge is changed and about every month based on the last calibration date if I am doing an important run.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

Charles Gast

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 03:04:07 pm »

Thanks for your input gentlemen.  I did a reboot to no avail.  Jim, I am running XP pro and in the past it told me the cal was obsolete after only a couple weeks and I ignored it then too.  Looks like a software bugola. Prints look super as usual so all is, um -  good enough!
Pages: [1]   Go Up