Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Commercial Insurance  (Read 8537 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Commercial Insurance
« on: May 25, 2008, 03:17:54 am »

I posted a similar question months ago, but now I REALLY need commercial insurance. It's time.

Photo.net has a special package for subscribers, which cost 25.00 per year. The cost of the insurance is 410US and includes coverage for up to one assistant. Total cost is 435.00US This is the original email I got from the agent:

"We offer $1,000,000 of per occurrence Liability coverage for $175 for the first professional for the year.  Each additional professional or assistant is $60 for the year.  Your assistant would need to be covered .  Total cost to you would be 175(liability for you)+60(liability for assistant)+150(15,000 of equipment coverage)= $410.  If you have any other questions please let me know."

I asked a lot of questions and here are some of the answers:
Theft: From a secure location, such as a car or house or other area that a "break in" would be needed to steal the equipment. If you are on location, set you camera down, and someone packs off with it--it's not covered.
Damage: Full replacement cost for a new unit or cash out minus depreciation. Includes droppage, but not wear and tear. Earthquakes and other natural disasters are NOT covered, nor is "governmental action" which I have no idea what that means. I suppose if you are shaking up a government protest and the feds take your camera, you're out of luck.

Anyway, any suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 03:20:13 am by dwdallam »

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
Commercial Insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 10:46:16 am »

I posted a similar question months ago, but now I REALLY need commercial insurance. It's time.

Photo.net has a special package for subscribers, which cost 25.00 per year. The cost of the insurance is 410US and includes coverage for up to one assistant. Total cost is 435.00US This is the original email I got from the agent:

"We offer $1,000,000 of per occurrence Liability coverage for $175 for the first professional for the year.  Each additional professional or assistant is $60 for the year.  Your assistant would need to be covered .  Total cost to you would be 175(liability for you)+60(liability for assistant)+150(15,000 of equipment coverage)= $410.  If you have any other questions please let me know."

I asked a lot of questions and here are some of the answers:
Theft: From a secure location, such as a car or house or other area that a "break in" would be needed to steal the equipment. If you are on location, set you camera down, and someone packs off with it--it's not covered.
Damage: Full replacement cost for a new unit or cash out minus depreciation. Includes droppage, but not wear and tear. Earthquakes and other natural disasters are NOT covered, nor is "governmental action" which I have no idea what that means. I suppose if you are shaking up a government protest and the feds take your camera, you're out of luck.

Anyway, any suggestions?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197830\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Get a professional, a broker, to get you the correct coverage. Don't waste your time and money with photo.net - talk to the broker, tell them your concerns (i.e. theft, accident, liability, etc...) and listen. You can even call companies directly, I am with The Hartford. Good luck.

I'll also add that if you are not concerned with liability and simply looking for equipment coverage, if you don't have a lot of expensive gear (i.e. Canon is less expensive than a Phase back or H3D oreven a MF lens), check if you can add it as a rider to your home owners policy, if you own a home, obviously.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 10:50:53 am by jecxz »

Hank

Commercial Insurance
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 10:49:02 am »

We get our coverage through PPA.   PPA membership is steap and required at $300/year for access to their policies, but well worth it.   Been with them 18 years now and never had the slightest beef on claims.  

Our coverage is quite a bit more extensive than what you're talking, so a comparison with the rate you cite isn't possible.

We're packing liability at $2mil US per person per incident onsite and off including employees, plus coverage on our studio.  Gear insurance is all-loss, onsite and off and even covers damage from drops.  The way it's set up, you assign the value of each piece of gear and premiums are based on a percentage of your listing.  If you want to list and cover at new prices, go for it.  If you prefer used prices, go for it.  We start out with new prices, then drop them to used after a couple of years.  

We had one notable shoot (groan) in which we dropped two Mamiaya MF's, damaging both lenses and bodies.  When we filed a claim we submitted the subsequent letter from the Mamiya shop saying they were beyond repair.  Got a nice fat check back within a week.  Lost a tripod in an airport, and that netted a prompt check, too.

Access to all that makes the $300 PPA entry fee worthwhile, even if you don't avail yourself of their other varied and useful services.

lightstand

Commercial Insurance
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 11:04:34 am »

I would second Hank's response in looking at the various photographer's associations for insurance benefits. NPPA, ASMP, APA all have some type of policy you can join with your membership. I've also heard of photographers using State Farm and of course see if your auto insurance company also has a business insurance policy.

To me one of the benefits of a company like www.tcpinsurance.com is that they understand our process - ie understand faxing the correct documentation to a site at the last minute to show proof of the insurance. jeff

p.s. if you're just looking for equipment coverage you can add a rider to renter's insurance if you don't own a home you just can't break the equipment on a professional job
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 11:08:32 am by lightstand »

Jay Kaplan

Commercial Insurance
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 01:48:14 pm »

Any competent independent insurance agent can write a commercial general liability insurance policy that covers you and your business [would also include your employees]. For your equipment, either a commercial inland marine policy or a "flex" or business owners' policy that also has the general liability coverage will work.

Companies that write these types of policies include The Hartford, The Travelers, Erie and many others.

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
Commercial Insurance
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 01:53:48 pm »

I'll also add that if you are not concerned with liability and simply looking for equipment coverage....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197867\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Liability insurance is not optional for a working photographer in California.  Also, if your strobe head drops off the boom onto the models head, I would rather have that liability insurance.  dwdallam has a photography business, so his needs are different than if it was a hobby.

It is important to look out for the welfare of other's included in your shoots, even bystanders.  Your assistant can fall off a ladder, get in a car accident on the way to the camera store, a strobe tube can explode, a boom can fall over, or the model can sprain their ankle walking onto the set.  Wether or not you have insurance, you are still legally responsible as the business owner and employer.  I think questions about liability coverage are more important than the equipment coverage.  You can get a loan to get new gear if you're not covered.  It will be harder to come up with the million dollars if someone really gets hurt though.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 02:25:54 pm by ericstaud »

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Commercial Insurance
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 03:11:37 pm »

According to my insurance rep, there are four basic areas that need to be addressed:
  • Basic liability, which covers injury to anyone except you. This is required by law in most states, and most rental houses will require a copy. Some clients may require it as well.
  • Coverage for equipment on site, which covers equipment kept on premises that is destroyed or stolen. There are usually different rate scales for low-tech things such as furniture and expensive items such as camera equipment.
  • Coverage for location work, which covers equipment used on location that is destroyed or stolen. This addendum are usually called a "Floater" or "Marine Floater". The amount covered is defined by you. If you want all your "L" lenses covered, both camera bodies, your laptop and external drive, your ProFoto lights, C-stands and sand bags, then this coverage will cost more than if you insure a single lens and body while on location.
  • Worker's compensation, which provides minimal insurance to all your employees except you, and also works to protect you from an employee suing you in case of accident on the job.
I suggest you call around and talk with several sales people. Make sure you insure for replacement cost on all items covered. You'll be very surprised at the differences in rates, and what some companies will and won't cover. For example, I had one policy that did not cover, in any way, jewelry to be photographed in my studio. I had to take out separate, daily coverage at a per-day fee to bring jewelry into my studio. What a joke that was.
~ CB

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
Commercial Insurance
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 06:49:20 pm »

...dwdallam has a photography business, so his needs are different than if it was a hobby.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197891\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Then it is good I advised him to seek professional broker help and not get insurance from photo.net!!!!

Stuad is correct, liability insurance is very important. I carry a $1m liability policy. Have your broker explain it to you and your options. Or, the professional websites mentioned in this thread have good documention that explain things.

And congrads on your photography business!  Good luck to you.

dwdallam

Commercial Insurance
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 02:31:11 am »

Yep. I'm running into all those concerns you all point out.

TCP insurance looks like the fast way to go as long as you all think it's the coverage that is needed.

The other thing I would like if it's not too expensive is personal liability for ME. The reason, even though I carry health insurance for myself, is that some industrial locations where I want to photograph--for my personal experience or portfolio, are very cautious about allowing people to run around in an industrial environment, which I understand. One local industrial outfit was leery, although the owner knows me, and I asked if I had liability on myself if that would help. She said it would very much. I also said I'd sign a waiver statement also.

Does anyone have any knowledge of TCP photography coverage? I really like the idea that they know how to fax the documents quickly when you need them.

Incidentally, for 15K of photography equipment, the quote on the website was 510 dollars.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 02:35:17 am by dwdallam »

canmiya

• beyond stills
Commercial Insurance
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 08:57:45 am »

Yep. I'm running into all those concerns you all point out.

TCP insurance looks like the fast way to go as long as you all think it's the coverage that is needed.
The other thing I would like if it's not too expensive is personal liability for ME. The reason, even though I carry health insurance for myself, is that some industrial locations where I want to photograph--for my personal experience or portfolio, are very cautious about allowing people to run around in an industrial environment, which I understand. One local industrial outfit was leery, although the owner knows me, and I asked if I had liability on myself if that would help. She said it would very much. I also said I'd sign a waiver statement also.

Does anyone have any knowledge of TCP photography coverage? I really like the idea that they know how to fax the documents quickly when you need them.

Incidentally, for 15K of photography equipment, the quote on the website was 510 dollars.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198683\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
the $ vary from company to company so you need to do your research carefully.  the insurance program offered through ppa for example for equipment is $2.40 per $100 of value  for the first $15000 of equipment, and $1.75 per $100 of value for equipment over $15,000.  i would recommend that you go to the ppa site and click on inusrance as there may be some useful information there to help you evaluate options. (www.ppa.com   click on benefits-i think)  there is also hill & usher out of phoenix...they work with most of the national insurance companies and have discounts for wppi and napp members (http://www.packagechoice.com/ )
the hill and usher site may be of value to you as it also has information on insurance types, and specific programs...
regards

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
Commercial Insurance
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 03:08:03 pm »

TCP is excellent. They know exactly what they are doing, work specifically with photographers and have excellent service. When I need certificates for permits etc they go right out, same day.

And I have had friends who have had very substantial claims where TCP really went out of their way to get the claims paid and fully. Good choice!

http://groupinsure.com
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Commercial Insurance
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 06:54:20 pm »

Any UK photographers have any views on UK insurance companies?
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jonstewart

Commercial Insurance
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 04:10:50 pm »

Any UK photographers have any views on UK insurance companies?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199033\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yep, Glover and Howe are great, and their prices are very good too.

I was interested to see our US colleagues with $2m public liability insurance. Generally here it's £2m ($4m), and if you want to work in certain places like airports, you might well need £5m cover.

Had a look at Photoguard, but wasn't impressed, and they were much more expensive.

Hope this helps
Jon
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 04:11:31 pm by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

Hank

Commercial Insurance
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 04:38:55 pm »

I was interested to see our US colleagues with $2m public liability insurance. Generally here it's £2m ($4m), and if you want to work in certain places like airports, you might well need £5m cover.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199145\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm expecting it to go up, but that's the level our attorneys recommended.  As for extra coverage for specific shoots requiring it, we arrange that with our carrier prior to the shoot.  For any and all, it's a good idea to have a copy of your policy immediately available for use as "proof of insurance" in bidding jobs, especially those for public agencies or large corporations.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 04:39:34 pm by Hank »

dwdallam

Commercial Insurance
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 10:28:50 pm »

I'm expecting it to go up, but that's the level our attorneys recommended.  As for extra coverage for specific shoots requiring it, we arrange that with our carrier prior to the shoot.  For any and all, it's a good idea to have a copy of your policy immediately available for use as "proof of insurance" in bidding jobs, especially those for public agencies or large corporations.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199148\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe I'm not understanding liability correctly, but isn't liability that which covers others from damage you might do to them? If so, how could you ever do 5 million in damages in an airport, or any other place?

One other question too: Is there a way to get insurance on YOU the photographer as well as liability? In some situations, such as industrial settings, where I'm doing photography for me, the owners/managers want YOU to be covered in case you get hurt on their property--or they deny you access.

Hank

Commercial Insurance
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 02:20:29 am »

That's two different policies.  A client may want to make sure you're covered in case you injure yourself through no fault of theirs, but they also will cover themselves with liability insurance in case it's their fault.  We have both.  We have medical coverage on ourselves and our employees, while also carrying liability insurance (currently $2mil US per person, per incident, but probably increasing it to $4mil US) should we hurt someone via a falling light, or if they trip on a cord, or if I knock someone off a ladder, or if they trip and fall in our parking lot, or if they slip on the ice, or if they even think it's a good idea to sue us for pain and suffering after they rip a hangnail while washing their hands in our bathroom.  Nothing can prevent you being sued, but the insurance is there in case even the most frivilous suit prevails.

jonstewart

Commercial Insurance
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 05:45:27 am »

Maybe I'm not understanding liability correctly, but isn't liability that which covers others from damage you might do to them? If so, how could you ever do 5 million in damages in an airport, or any other place?

One other question too: Is there a way to get insurance on YOU the photographer as well as liability? In some situations, such as industrial settings, where I'm doing photography for me, the owners/managers want YOU to be covered in case you get hurt on their property--or they deny you access.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199197\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hank's quite right.

Public Liability covers damage you or your equipment does to them.

I also have a combination of professional indemnity, and cover against loss of earning due to interruption of business because of a light falling on my head and giving me concussion etc. Can't actually remember what the term for this is!!

Airports and other may require such high liability, simply because the number of people floating about. So it may end up with multiple claims. Remember it's x million per 'incident' max. So if 3 people were injured in one incident and the total of their claims exceeded x million, somebody'd be stuffed.

May work different in the US.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 05:45:59 am by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

dwdallam

Commercial Insurance
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 06:39:04 am »

Hank's quite right.

Public Liability covers damage you or your equipment does to them.

I also have a combination of professional indemnity, and cover against loss of earning due to interruption of business because of a light falling on my head and giving me concussion etc. Can't actually remember what the term for this is!!

Airports and other may require such high liability, simply because the number of people floating about. So it may end up with multiple claims. Remember it's x million per 'incident' max. So if 3 people were injured in one incident and the total of their claims exceeded x million, somebody'd be stuffed.

May work different in the US.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199220\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK I understand. I actually have health on myself 100% after a 3500 deductible. So I guess producing that may help when needed.

Hank

Commercial Insurance
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 09:09:00 am »

The liability insurance is good to have for shooting in general, and in fact required for commercial shooting in some public places in addition to industrial sites.  As our agent explained it, the corporations and agencies want to make sure that if you injure someone on their property, claims will be filed and covered by your policy before the claimant can get around to suing them too, or if they sue both of you, your pocket will get hit first and deepest.  Without the policy, you're asking them to assume all liability for your actions, even though they may have minimal control on you.  We had our insurance carrier produce a proof of insurance card for our liability coverage, just like the card they issue for auto and health coverage.  It's handy to have one of each in your pocket when applying for permits to shoot in parks or signing contracts with corporations.

BTW- For loss to "government action," also think about security forces seizing your camera for shooting pics of bridges, sky scrapers, etc.  I had a near miss recently on a contract to shoot a moving train at multiple locations through the mountains.  I was pretty proud of myself for mad dashes to get ahead of the train for the first shots, but then railroad security and state troopers rather disrupted my progress.  Word had not filtered down from RR headquarters that I would be out and about, and I was stopped.  A few phone calls sorted it out, but by then I was too far from the train to get ahead again.  Ended up shooting the whole thing over again on a subsequent day, but with phone #'s for the relevant officials in my pocket along with a letter and a copy of my contract.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 09:16:48 am by Hank »

Jay Kaplan

Commercial Insurance
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 09:23:26 am »

To satisfy proof on insurance, your agent will produce, at no cost, a Certificate of Liability or Property Insurance. This is generated, in the US, with an ACCORD form and it lists the agent, insured, the insurer, type and amount so coverage and the policy numbereffective dates. It will also list the additional insured, if required, as well as the interested party [the individual or company] requesting the proof of insurance and is signed by the agent.

The form is generated by the agency's computer and IS NOT HAND WRITTEN. These can either be faxed to the requester or sent via email as a pdf. We do them every day in the office I work at and they generally take about 5 - 10 minutes to generate depending on the complexity of the coverage.

Also, you, as the insured, can request that your insurer generate and send a proof of insurance to the requesing party. Merely showing your insurance policy is not proof of insurance since it does not indicate whether or not the premiums are current.

As to polices, The Hartford, with their Spectrum policy offers a very complete package including liability and property coverage. But they are not alone in offering this type of coverage. A good BOP [business owner's policy] will cover about 95% of your needs and additional riders can take care of the rest. These policies can be industry specific and are good value for your premium dollars.

Jay
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up