Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya zd back on view camera...any news?  (Read 3657 times)

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
Mamiya zd back on view camera...any news?
« on: May 24, 2008, 07:59:57 pm »

Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone had heard any updates about the usability of the zd back on a view / shift camera...either from mamiya or someone else with a solution.

Thanks,

Marc
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

gjazzz

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 02:12:45 pm »

Marc,

Haven't seen any news from Mamiya yet, but camera makers like Silvestri do make adapters.  Seems like we need an adapter to allow connection of the PC cable to the side of the adapter.  And the adapter have internal wires to connect to the mount connections of the back.

I am also waiting, but could probably make something like that without too much trouble.

Greg

lance_schad

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 06:10:32 pm »

Marc,

Haven't seen any news from Mamiya yet, but camera makers like Silvestri do make adapters.  Seems like we need an adapter to allow connection of the PC cable to the side of the adapter.  And the adapter have internal wires to connect to the mount connections of the back.

I am also waiting, but could probably make something like that without too much trouble.

Greg
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just a thought couldn't you use it today on a RZ ProIID w/ T/S adapter and 75mmSB? Just got one of these babies in and it's a nice system .
L
Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration [/url]
My Blog
lance@captureintegration.com
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 06:21:17 am »

Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone had heard any updates about the usability of the zd back on a view / shift camera...either from mamiya or someone else with a solution.

Thanks,

Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197788\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Marc,

As you propably recall I had the ZD camera before (same internals as ZD back). I gave it up due problems and paid the extra to get a Leaf Aptus 65. My experience from both (neglecting the problems I had with ZD) can be summarized by that with the Aptus I feel as I am back to photography again. One thing I had not expected was that colors are already beutiful when I open up at default values in CS3 Camera RAW. That is unlike any digital camera/back I have ever come across. The colors are not Velvia like, but this Aptus gives me same sensation as Velvia 50 did in the confidence that I can count on the digital back in similar way as I did with the outcome of the Velvia film. I use the large display to judge if photos are good (histogram, composition etc), and I have gained confidence in that the Aptus consistently produce images that appear even better as I open them in CS3. And... the large display is indeed useful in judging the photos as well.

The Aptus 65 is same as Aptus 75 except a 44mm x 33mm crop of the sensor in Aptus 75. Compared to ZD I now at times also use up to its 800 ISO, while for ZD I could use only up to 125 ISO as useable, referring to low light conditions. Yes, the Aptus 65 can be noisy at those situations, but with 28.6 MP the noise artifacts are small, and by later reducing the photo or printing smaller size, the noise particles can appear more like grain on high iso film. That is very different from the 20MP ZD.

Yes, the Aptus 65 cost more than the ZD, but... it cost less than Aptus 22, and 28.6MP compared to 20MP. The Aptus 65 is newer sensor technology than both ZD and Aptus 22.

I have not tried on a view camera, but have read up on it. Something like an Ebony SW45 and stitching adapter could be used. Compared to a ZD on a view camera, it could be better buying a Aptus 65 of Phase One P30 for the money. If to use on a viewcamera it needs to be a steady one, e.g. the SW45.

Regards
Anders

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 07:25:54 am »

Thanks guys for all that info, etc.
I am looking at going mfd by the end of the year (if all goes to plan) but will need to be with full frame sensor for my line of work (interior, architectural) and so have the ability to work on a shift camera as well as an slr set up...will be budget dependant, as are most things, especially with a big chunk of my funds already tied up for an event next year, so will be looking at P25, Aptus 22 etc to start with.

Thanks.
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

Snook

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 10:43:57 am »

I am looking at going mfd by the end of the year (if all goes to plan) but will need to be with full frame sensor for my line of work (interior, architectural) and so have the ability to work on a shift camera as well as an slr set up...will be budget dependant, as are most things, especially with a big chunk of my funds already tied up for an event next year, so will be looking at P25, Aptus 22 etc to start with.

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree, why waste your time with a ZD...?
And I think Mamiya will probably, if not already, will ditch the ZD all together now they have made an alliance with PhaseOne.
I too like the color that come straight out of the back on the leaf, but was turned off by the fan system...:+{
Snook

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 01:13:00 pm »

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Marc,

If for economy, the ZD and Mamiya 35mm gives you 35mm equivalence of 25mm. As a serious consideration compared to ZD I would take look at also 1Ds Mk 3, and I do much enjoy the medium format more than 35.... Your work will be much easier than with a viewcamera for wides.

Personally the lower cost of Aptus 65 compared to Aptus 75 got me into also the Mamiya 28mm, at 35 equivalence of 22mm.

Do bear in mind that Aptus 65 and P30 are lower priced than Aptus 22. The difference from 48x36mm to 44x33mm sensor do reduce the Mamiya 35mm to 35mm equivalence of 27mm instead of 25mm.

Regards
Anders

Snook,

I think it is not correct to suspect that Mamiya will ditch ZD now because of alliance with Phase One. On contrary I think I read that there is now a beta version of Capture One that can read ZD raw files. Perhaps that is how they "improve" on ZD, by attempting process the files the best possible. However, as you may recall from my post of ZD Problem, the processing algorithms in postprocessing was not the key problem, but seemingly the handling of the algorithms etc within ZD itself. I have seen nil of correction of ZD to date. I find that rather remarkable. Thus, as much as I am not pleased to admit to what was said of your comments of ZD files from many months back, I think you were right in that there was (and still is) files from ZD (that in certain conditions) show purple.

Is it not remarkable that after that post of ZD has Problem that I did, that Mamiya has made nil comment or correction, and noone has really put up something against to show that I was wrong?

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 01:30:27 pm by Anders_HK »
Pages: [1]   Go Up