Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Experience: P21+ vs. Aptus 22  (Read 11720 times)

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
My Experience: P21+ vs. Aptus 22
« on: May 23, 2008, 11:53:09 pm »

First off, let me say that I'm far from an expert in MFDB's. I've been a photographer for 18 years though and have been working in the digital realm since buying my first Mac in 1996. I don't expect this review to be definitive: it's just one busy pro's experience in trying to make a MFDB buying decision. The technical details aren't as important to me as the reality of what's going to help me do my job better.

I'm a people photographer (advertising and portraits - mostly on location) who's main interest in shooting medium format isn't really the extra pixels, but the higher sync speed, extra bit depth, and angle of view of the larger format. I shot medium format film for years before switching to small format digital. Recently, I've begun to miss the process of shooting medium format so I began looking into MFDB's.

My search narrowed down to two backs: the P21+ and the Leaf Aptus 22. I liked them because of their relatively fast recycle times. I hate missing the great shots when photographing people so this is really important - if not the most important - criteria for me. The P21+ is less than a sec and the A22 is just over a second. I also checked out the Aptus 54s which is as fast as the P21+, but I ruled it out due to cost.

I liked speed of the P21+. It could almost keep up with the H2's motordrive and it was easy to get into a rhythm shooting with it. I didn't do any fancy IQ analysis, but images looked great for my needs. Head and shoulders above my 5D files.

What I didn't like was the 1.3 crop factor, the placement and usability of the histogram on the back and the overall usability of the menu system. I used it for a solid week but never got the hang of it. I hated how the histogram was hard to read and covered the image on the LCD. I live off of a quick peek at the histogram since my scenes are fluid and often changing.

In contrast, I liked the Aptus 22 because it's menu system was so much easier to use. The histogram is easy to access. White balancing is a snap and you can do it by just clicking on the LCD. Really cool. The 22 has 4 more megapixels and it shows. The difference between these files and what I'm used to is just a whole 'nother level. I also how liked the larger sensor (a 1.1 crop factor) gave me more of the MF look that I'm going for.

The Aptus back takes longer to start up however. The P21+ fires right up which makes it more convenient to turn on and off during shoots. I shot the better part of a day with the P21+ out in the desert and never had to change a battery. On the other hand, the 22 sucked down a battery after shooting a few dozen images and then being left on in between shots and subsequent editing sessions. It also takes a lot longer to fire up.

The Aptus back I used is for the Hassie H system. I'm using it with a mechanical adapter for the RZ67 however. I'm using the cord from the lens to the back. No big deal. From reading threads here, I thought it would be a hassle. Instead it's a non-issue. I love being able to rotate the back to go from vertical to horiz. The back is plenty fast enough to keep up with the RZ. I never have to wait from shot to shot. I also like the flexibility of being able to use the H system if I want.

On the software front, Capture One is so much more robust than Leaf Capture. I'm no expert in either, but the Leaf software is better than nothing. But that's about it. Doesn't really matter since I'll use Photoshop either way.

In the end, I decided to go with the Aptus 22 back. Best of all, I picked up one in like new condition for $8k on Ebay. That's $4k less than the price of the P21+ (which I haven't see used or refurbed). Hopefully, this helps someone. I appreciate the advice I've received on this forum so I figured I'd pass some along as well.

John

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 12:06:56 am »

Hi
You did very well, the Aptus 22 is one of my favorite digital backs & have shot many AD campaigns with it. The new Leaf software is excellent. File quality is amazing. Enjoy it!!!!!!!!!

Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

amsp

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 07:52:32 am »

I wish Leaf would get rid of the fan cooling system, that would make it viable option for me next time I upgrade my DB. Since Hasselblad changed they're the only ones left using it.

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 11:34:42 am »

I wish Leaf would get rid of the fan cooling system, that would make it viable option for me next time I upgrade my DB. Since Hasselblad changed they're the only ones left using it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197695\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
What's the problem with the fan?

John

amsp

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 12:41:59 pm »

What's the problem with the fan?

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197717\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It exposes the insides to the environment, like dust, moisture, sand etc. Plus it adds a mechanical component to the design, which can then break down. This for me at least eliminates leaf as an option right now, and I like options, so I hope they change it.

TMARK

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 01:03:48 pm »

I would have an Aptus 22 right now instead of my P30+ if the prices at the time were more reasonable.  Dealers were quoting $16k for refurbs and used, which is not right.  $10k - $12k is, in my opinion, right.

I'm happy with my P30+, but I do mis the larger chip.  If I can find a used 22 megapixel Dalsa sensored back for under $8k I'll buy one.  It would be a nice compliment to the P30+.

LC11 is actually a great and powerful piece of software.  Its moire tool is fast and effective.  Defaults produce a beautiful file.

Congratulations and welcome.

Snook

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 01:39:22 pm »

I would have an Aptus 22 right now instead of my P30+ if the prices at the time were more reasonable.  Dealers were quoting $16k for refurbs and used, which is not right.  $10k - $12k is, in my opinion, right.

I'm happy with my P30+, but I do mis the larger chip.  If I can find a used 22 megapixel Dalsa sensored back for under $8k I'll buy one.  It would be a nice compliment to the P30+.

LC11 is actually a great and powerful piece of software.  Its moire tool is fast and effective.  Defaults produce a beautiful file.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197730\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I too Went with a P30 instead of A22 strictly b/c of the Fan and the Battery deal looked very clumsy...
Phase is Known to be built like a tank supposedly.. Time will tell
Plus I got a pretty good deal at the time.... Now they have come down even more..
I do love my P30 though and they are both great backs with out a doubt.
An congratulations you'll be very happy
Snook

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 01:50:12 pm »

I would have an Aptus 22 right now instead of my P30+ if the prices at the time were more reasonable.  Dealers were quoting $16k for refurbs and used, which is not right.  $10k - $12k is, in my opinion, right.

I'm happy with my P30+, but I do mis the larger chip.  If I can find a used 22 megapixel Dalsa sensored back for under $8k I'll buy one.  It would be a nice compliment to the P30+.

LC11 is actually a great and powerful piece of software.  Its moire tool is fast and effective.  Defaults produce a beautiful file.

I've owned both the Aptus 1.16 crop and the P30/+ 1.26 crop and honeslty don't notice that much of a difference, though would prefer a larger area is possible.

It's a little more telling on the contax than it is a camera with a larger viewfinder, though even then I don't notice the difference anymore.

The only thing that would move me to a change would be a real full frame no crop 645 chip and even then it would have to come with a lot more features than just the frame size.

For some a more "cropped" frame is bothersome, but just like anything, you get  used to it.

JR

JR

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 02:14:59 pm »

TMARK:

Dealers who are pricing Aptus 22 refurbs are in point of fact, as you put it, right, rather than "not right".

Last fall, Leaf released a batch of Aptus 22 units to their dealers that were very lightly used and factory refurbished. Some dealers incorrectly sold these as "new", but that's another matter. This was a special deal (and the details of why don't really matter, but they was priced by Leaf at a dramatically reduced price, well below normal refurb pricing). This pricing enabled dealers to offer tham at prices which ranged from $10,000 - $12,000 on average.

After these units were sold, that was it. Since that time, Aptus 22 refurbs have continued to become available from Leaf and the price that Leaf has offered to dealers enables dealers to sell them in the $15k - $17k range. So, when a dealer prices a refurb at $16k, they are not pricing it $6,000 higher than "where it should be" (wherever that is).

Leaf also did this the year before with Aptus 17's, which were sold for $7,600. These were trade-in units from the Hallmark school - which was upgrading at the time - and about 70 of these units were available at that price.

Currently, Leaf still sells the Aptus 17 and lists it at $15,995.

So, the problem is that Leaf on occasion releases a significant quantity of refurbished units at a great price - well below the normal refurb price. While this is great for the buyers of these units, it frustrates future purchasers who expect the same type of deal. The problem with one time only great deals is that whether it is accurate or not, it at least perceptively adjusts the market value of the product well below where it actually is.

Regarding the fan issue - I've stated it before and I will state it again. I have not had one customer going back over 5 years who has had a malfunction with a fan or who has had a breached internal environment in terms of dust, etc. These units are extremely well filtered and sealed. Not saying it cannot happen or has never happened, but I am saying it is extremely rare. There are digital backs from other manufacturers that grow fungus and have dust breaches that have no fan cooling. There is no reason to not consider a Leaf back because it employs a fan for cooling.

Even if there was an issue, Leaf is the only manufacturer who routinely turns around a digital back repair in one day - in the United States anyway. I consider it a non-issue with regard to maintenance.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

yaya

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 02:58:03 pm »

Regarding the fan issue - I've stated it before and I will state it again. I have not had one customer going back over 5 years who has had a malfunction with a fan or who has had a breached internal environment in terms of dust, etc. These units are extremely well filtered and sealed. Not saying it cannot happen or has never happened, but I am saying it is extremely rare. There are digital backs from other manufacturers that grow fungus and have dust breaches that have no fan cooling. There is no reason to not consider a Leaf back because it employs a fan for cooling.

Even if there was an issue, Leaf is the only manufacturer who routinely turns around a digital back repair in one day - in the United States anyway. I consider it a non-issue with regard to maintenance.

Steve Hendrix
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197748\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well said Steve. In addition, the fan is what allows the Aptus/ AFi to have the best Live View of all backs, that in a still life/packshot environment, can be left ON for hours without affecting image quality or the reliability of the back.

Yair

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 07:43:24 pm »

One more thing I'll add to this is that I really like the Leaf tech support. Where Phase One doesn't even have a phone number listed on their web site (nothing that I could find anyhow), Leaf has easy-to-access live support. I dialed the number on the web site, pressed "two" on the dial pad and almost immediately had someone on the phone who answered all of my questions. (Although he did say I had to go to an outside source for the Mamiya adapter actually sold by Leaf.)

John

TMARK

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 03:47:07 pm »

TMARK:

Dealers who are pricing Aptus 22 refurbs are in point of fact, as you put it, right, rather than "not right".

Last fall, Leaf released a batch of Aptus 22 units to their dealers that were very lightly used and factory refurbished. Some dealers incorrectly sold these as "new", but that's another matter. This was a special deal (and the details of why don't really matter, but they was priced by Leaf at a dramatically reduced price, well below normal refurb pricing). This pricing enabled dealers to offer tham at prices which ranged from $10,000 - $12,000 on average.

After these units were sold, that was it. Since that time, Aptus 22 refurbs have continued to become available from Leaf and the price that Leaf has offered to dealers enables dealers to sell them in the $15k - $17k range. So, when a dealer prices a refurb at $16k, they are not pricing it $6,000 higher than "where it should be" (wherever that is).

Leaf also did this the year before with Aptus 17's, which were sold for $7,600. These were trade-in units from the Hallmark school - which was upgrading at the time - and about 70 of these units were available at that price.

Currently, Leaf still sells the Aptus 17 and lists it at $15,995.

So, the problem is that Leaf on occasion releases a significant quantity of refurbished units at a great price - well below the normal refurb price. While this is great for the buyers of these units, it frustrates future purchasers who expect the same type of deal. The problem with one time only great deals is that whether it is accurate or not, it at least perceptively adjusts the market value of the product well below where it actually is.

Steve Hendrix
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197748\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Steve,

I didn't mean to imply that you or Fotocare or Sammy's were in any way below board.  I understand the Hallmark refurb A22's and A17's were an anomaly and that the prices are set by Leaf.  

What I meant by $16k not being "right" is that, to me, a refurb A22 is not worth $16k. Thus point in fact the price isn't right.  Its what you are forced to charge, but it is still not right, by me, which is, to me, what matters.  That price point is a little too close to new backs that have newer innards, start faster, better iso, etc. Leaf should offer the refurbs to you guys for less.  If they did there would probably be more Leaf shooters who would eventually upgrade to a 54s or a 75s.

pixjohn

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 04:43:40 pm »

Calumet flyer has Leaf Aptus 75 price around that amount. How can anybody justify that price on an Aptus 22?

http://www.calumetphoto.com/pdfs/us-focus-2008-jun-jul.pdf

page 63
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 04:46:49 pm by pixjohn »

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 05:03:11 pm »

Interesting about this whole Aptus Hallmark school refurb thing. I was recently at Fotocare in New York. They told me that they had brand new A22's for $16k that were destined for Hallmark but never made it so they were actually new. The story the salesman told me was that Hallmark cancelled their order and went with the 54s instead. That doesn't make sense because if the product was truly new, why wouldn't they just put it back into stock. Why lower the price? It sounds like they're trying to sell refurb as new. If that's the case, that's awfully slimy of Fotocare.

John

TMARK

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 06:11:19 pm »

Interesting about this whole Aptus Hallmark school refurb thing. I was recently at Fotocare in New York. They told me that they had brand new A22's for $16k that were destined for Hallmark but never made it so they were actually new. The story the salesman told me was that Hallmark cancelled their order and went with the 54s instead. That doesn't make sense because if the product was truly new, why wouldn't they just put it back into stock. Why lower the price? It sounds like they're trying to sell refurb as new. If that's the case, that's awfully slimy of Fotocare.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197934\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They probably aren't refurb.  Hallmark probably had an order in for A22's and opted to upgrade to the 54s right after they took delivery.  Leaf then had the A22s, unused, unopened.  They can't be sold as new because Hallmark took possession.  This is just a guess.

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 07:59:31 pm »

They probably aren't refurb.  Hallmark probably had an order in for A22's and opted to upgrade to the 54s right after they took delivery.  Leaf then had the A22s, unused, unopened.  They can't be sold as new because Hallmark took possession.  This is just a guess.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197949\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is quite possibly the case. I asked Leaf if those units were new and was told that they were not. I did not discuss any further details, as to whether they had been used, the box opened, etc.

FotoCare is an excellent Leaf dealer, and if they had units for sale that were not new I am sure they would disclose that.

To the issue of the "right" price for an Aptus 22, looking at the list price of it's competitors:

Hasselblad CF-22: $19,995
Sinar eMotion 54LV: $23,500
Phase One P25+: $20,990

The Aptus 22 is actually a version behind the above units, more comparable to the non-plus P25, the pre-2.5" screened CF-22 and e54LV.

A price of $16,000 is $9,000 less than a brand new Aptus 54-S, $6,000 less than a brand new Aptus 22. Whether the price is "worth it" is a pretty subjective matter. But the delta seems reasonably appropriate to me, in terms of features. It is in line with the standard Leaf reduction on all of their "standard" refurbished units.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c
Pages: [1]   Go Up