Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR messes up my library -  (Read 3097 times)

The View

LR messes up my library -
« on: May 23, 2008, 10:17:56 pm »

Usually, whenever you work on a DNG in PS, the resulting TIFF gets the same image number, and is arranged next to the dng.

When you work on the TIFF and create a copy of it, it is arranged next to the TIFF it was copied from.

No longer.

Now both the copy, and the original, are thrown all the way to the end of the images.

I have over 400 images between the DNG and the TIFFs.

Library doesn't seem to have a function where you can "arrange by name" like you can with files in OS X.

Has anybody come across this bug?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 10:34:26 pm »

New details:

If I check "stack with original", the original will be thrown to the end of the folder, together with the copy.

If I uncheck "stack with original", the original stays in place, but the copy will land at the end of the folder.

Suddenly, library has stopped working.

I suggest to get the library working properly before thinking of version 2.0.

As for now, the library is a mess, and cannot be used properly.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

DavidB

• http://davidburren.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 12:55:11 am »

The filters, sort order, etc are remembered for each folder/collection/etc.
It sounds like you're expecting the Sort order to be "File name" (it's easy to set it: you do have Sorting enabled in the Toolbar at the bottom of the grid don't you?).  By default it's probably "Capture Time".
Are these new TIFFs getting the EXIF data stripped from them?  If so, the equivalent field will be getting written by Photoshop and will end up effectively being the date/time you first saved the TIFF.  Thus sorting by Capture Time might result in the effect you're describing.

Or is the sort order set to Import Order?  It's the top image in each stack (by default the new TIFF) that is used in sorting, and thus they go to the end.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 01:25:11 am by DavidB »

The View

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 01:26:21 am »

The filters, sort order, etc are remembered for each folder/collection/etc.
It sounds like you're expecting the Sort order to be "File name" (it's easy to set it: you do have Sorting enabled in the Toolbar at the bottom of the grid don't you?).  By default it's probably "Capture Time".
Are these new TIFFs getting the EXIF data stripped from them?  If so, the equivalent field will be getting written by Photoshop and will end up effectively being the date/time you first saved the TIFF.  Thus sorting by Capture Time might result in the effect you're describing.

Or is the sort order set to Import Order?  It's the top image in each stack (by default the new TIFF) that is used in sorting, and thus they go to the end.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197662\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you for your reply.

The sorting is by capture time.

I checked the capture time of the TIFFs. They are the same as the original RAW file. PS has not overwritten the capture time.

PS: the weird thing is, that not only the new TIFF shows up at the end of the folder. It drags the DNG down with itself, rips it out of the sequence, and now the DNG is also at the end of the folder.

Currently I work around this by giving any chosen image its own subfolder.

But my confidence into the library module is shattered, and now I back up daily. By hand. Copying image folders from the main hard drive to the external.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 01:42:48 am by The View »

DavidB

• http://davidburren.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 03:45:43 am »

PS: the weird thing is, that not only the new TIFF shows up at the end of the folder. It drags the DNG down with itself, rips it out of the sequence, and now the DNG is also at the end of the folder.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197666\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Not weird at all if they're in a stack.  The stack is sorted amongst the other images based on the way the image at the top of the stack sorts, so of course it's going to "drag the DNG" with it.

Are you SURE the sorting isn't Import Order?  With that I can exactly reproduce the symptoms you've been describing.
Remember that the sort order can be different for each folder/collection and thus you should keep the toolbar visible so you can see what sort order is currently being used.

The View

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 05:05:04 am »

Are you SURE the sorting isn't Import Order? 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197680\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Absolutely. It's all "Capture Time" in all folders.

This weird thing had something to do with stacking, when versions of the same image lost their cell borders suddenly. And, of course, many couldn't be seen any more, and I got the message 385/420 etc.

I used unstack to get my compact cell borders back.

But that strange behavior, putting new versions all the way to the end, doesn't go away.
Pages: [1]   Go Up