Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 645AFD just froze up  (Read 5879 times)

Streetwise

• DavidAnderson.tv
Mamiya 645AFD just froze up
« on: May 23, 2008, 10:13:27 pm »

I just started shooting a job with my trusty 645AFD and Leaf A65 back. However after a couple of frames, the camera made a very weird sound with the mirror -- like it was binding up. Well, it did and that's was the end of the shoot (except for my Canon backup).

I got and error 01 if anyone knows what that is. The mirror is stuck half-way. I've tried new batteries, putting the back on and off (makes a noise like it *wants* to move but doesnt). I've tried firmly tapping the camera on my hand (without the back attached) and even lightly pushing the mirror -- goes up just fine, but not down.

Is there an easy re-set to the "01" error, or am I looking at a repair? The error said "03" initially, but then settled on "01"

Thanks..

Dave

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 11:50:03 pm »

I just started shooting a job with my trusty 645AFD and Leaf A65 back. However after a couple of frames, the camera made a very weird sound with the mirror -- like it was binding up. Well, it did and that's was the end of the shoot (except for my Canon backup).

I got and error 01 if anyone knows what that is. The mirror is stuck half-way. I've tried new batteries, putting the back on and off (makes a noise like it *wants* to move but doesnt). I've tried firmly tapping the camera on my hand (without the back attached) and even lightly pushing the mirror -- goes up just fine, but not down.

Is there an easy re-set to the "01" error, or am I looking at a repair? The error said "03" initially, but then settled on "01"

Thanks..

Dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197632\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
Where is your back up body? When we shoot I always have 2 bodies even if you have to rent one. This is no different than the film days when you have back up bodies. The Mamiya body is like any other camera & is mechanical. On a major shoot a few years ago I had a shutter failure on my AFD with the Aptus 22. At that time I had rented a back up AFD just in case. When the camera did go down I was shooting a model on a nude rate of $600.00/hr (the worst time possible) on a four hour booking. This was a major advertising campaign & we just changed cameras & continued shooting as if nothing happened. I think the rental rate for the camera body was $50.00/day & for me it was money well spent. Your AFD body is down, just send it in for repair & buy a second body on eBay for insurance.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

woof75

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 08:01:13 am »

Hi
Where is your back up body? When we shoot I always have 2 bodies even if you have to rent one. This is no different than the film days when you have back up bodies. The Mamiya body is like any other camera & is mechanical. On a major shoot a few years ago I had a shutter failure on my AFD with the Aptus 22. At that time I had rented a back up AFD just in case. When the camera did go down I was shooting a model on a nude rate of $600.00/hr (the worst time possible) on a four hour booking. This was a major advertising campaign & we just changed cameras & continued shooting as if nothing happened. I think the rental rate for the camera body was $50.00/day & for me it was money well spent. Your AFD body is down, just send it in for repair & buy a second body on eBay for insurance.
Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197652\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A similar thing happened to me recently, I'd rented a 5d as a back up so I was backed up if the back went down too. Not ideal but I did get away with it, I wouldn't do that on an ad job mind, you do need back ups with MF. Send her in to Mamiya, maybe it's the shutter, mine made an awful crunch sound when the shutter broke. I hear they put better shutters in when they repair them too.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 08:01:31 am by woof75 »

rljones

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 10:53:49 pm »

i've heard some of these lock-ups are due to old software. mamiya does the software upgrade. i've also heard some lenses needed software upgrading. best to call mamiya to see if your serial numbers indicate that this as a possibility.
Pages: [1]   Go Up