Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Vs. ACR/Bridge, etc.  (Read 3141 times)

mnoble

Lightroom Vs. ACR/Bridge, etc.
« on: May 23, 2008, 08:29:22 am »

Since I upgraded to Photoshop CS3, I find that I use Lightroom less and less. I know that some tout both as part of the digital workflow, but I just don't see the need. ACR with Bridge does everything that Lightroom does with regard to image processing. (I shoot RAW images almost exclusively.)

I used Lightroom when it was in beta and I was impressed. But now I don't see the use of two pieces of software that both use (I believe) the same processing engine. I do use Lightroom when I print, but that is probably because I have just become used to it and haven't experimented with printing from Bridge.

I am interested to get your opinions.

Thanks,

Mike  

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 09:02:17 am »

LR is aimed at managing a library of photos whereas Bridge is aimed at looking at a folder of images.

They have similar processing because both use the Adobe Camera Raw "engine".

If Bridge suits the way you work, that's great.

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 09:18:42 am »

I shoot some sporting events and LR is a lot easier than Bridge if you're dealing with 700-2000 RAW images from an event.  While LR uses the ACR engine for RAW I find I like the LR Develop UI far, far better than ACR's UI.  ACR's UI seems like it was designed by a coder.  LR's UI feels like it was designed by a UI professional.  Actually, it was.
Regards,
Ron

The View

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 09:15:42 pm »

I'm currently working on advertising material, where I have to put photos together, design, etc. in Photoshop.

The resized photos I give into a folder in Bridge. I don't want these guys hang around my library.

Also the exported images, for internet use, etc. I will in futur store within Bridge.

So I have the photos in my library, all derivatives like promotional material, resized photos, or plain foolin' around, in folders within Bridge.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 02:29:43 pm »

LR has as said above, a much better UI for developing compared to ACR, though parts of LR are a bit clunky still. Plus it's way too picky regarding file types to be be a functional DAM app, so I use both. Also Bridge integrates much, much better with Photoshop.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up