Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D3 / Sinar M comparison  (Read 1727 times)

brumbaer

D3 / Sinar M comparison
« on: May 23, 2008, 03:44:47 am »

I've read with interest all those discussions about the better system.

Coincidently these discussions came just up when I was conducting my own tests.

As I have an eMotion 75 on a Sinar M and a D3 and I've read about people who have seen an Aptus75 and a P20, I feel well suited to perform a comparison and share my results:

Resolution: You need much more resolution to spent 20k on a camera than just 5k. Higher resolution goes to M.

Sharpness: No problem on both systems, I never cut myself, yet.
Stalemate.

Color fidelity: Both come in a friendly black . Stalemate.

Haptic: Basically the diameter of  the lenses for the SInar M is just to big to hold it comfortably while clubbing somebody blocking your view.
D3 better haptic.

Compensation: No matter how short he is, a 600mm on a D3 goes a long way in compensating. On the other hand the lenses of the Sinar M are so thick, man real thick. Both are probably even more compensating than a Porsche. A stalemate again

Auto Focus: With both systems you can be sure that the focus will automatically turn towards you whenever you photograph school sports.
Stalemate

Back Focus: Should the other photographers have lost interest in you than getting out the lens bag and switching lenses will surely get the focus back to you regardless of the system.
Stalemate

Tethered. The cable on the M is much longer. It's nearly impossible to loose the camera/back under a heap of stuff. You can always drag it out. (A lock to strengthen the bond between cable and back would be a nice addition. Do you copy Mr. Sinar ?).
The cable on the D3 is rather short in comparison. At least on my desk its not long enough to recover the camera under all circumstances.
Tethered goes to M

Noise: Surprisingly the D3 is not so much quieter than the tests in magazines  make you believe. The shutter of a Sinar M might be bigger but not so much louder.
Still less Noise D3

Dynamic range: Those who know me, know that I'm more the static type. I'm not suited to comment on anything dynamic.
Not rated.

Other: stalemate

Who won ?

Just define a points value to each criteria and add those points to the respective winners score. This method will give a result valid for your own likes and dislikes and has the undeniable advantage to guarantee the winner, you want.

I hope this objective test will put those discussions it to a rest.

Regards
SH

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
D3 / Sinar M comparison
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 04:17:11 am »

Thanks Stefan,
again it confirms,that as a pro both systems are needed.
As for an amateur I would opt for a DSLR.

Unless you have deep pockets!

In the old days, I had a Contax RTS,GX680 and a Sinar 4x5-5x7-10x8 combo.

Now it's the humble 5D and the Hy6-e75LV
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up