Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Urgent! Photos disappeared -  (Read 6554 times)

The View

Urgent! Photos disappeared -
« on: May 23, 2008, 01:51:32 am »

I wanted to click on a photo to select it, and suddenly 13 photos disappeared.

I can't get them back.

The folder displays 385/414, and 285 is all I get.

Also, frames of several pictures (in library mode) are merged together. Only when you hover the cursor over it, you can see the lines between the picture frames.

There is a vertical line, when you click it, even more photos disappear.

Is this some new stacking feature that came with 1.4? I selected the merged images and gave the command unstack, which messed up the whole order of the images, and I had to press Command Z to get it back.

How do I get these images back? They are exactly the images that have to go to print tomorrow for a client.

I thought I knew all the features of Lightroom. This must be something new, or a bug.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 02:05:02 am »

OK, I found all photos except one.

Can't find this one. Don't even know which one is missing (out of over 400) because this just happened.

But I can't get rid of those merged cells, and those useless vertical lines to click.

I didn't switch on this feature. It just happened suddenly.

Very frustrating. What's this good for? You have no indicator where photos are hidden. And what sense does hiding photos make if they are so hard to find?

I just want to switch this feature off.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 02:05:55 am by The View »
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Richowens

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 02:10:09 am »

Go to Photo>Stacking>Unstack all photos.

The View

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 03:32:08 am »

Go to Photo>Stacking>Unstack all photos.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197392\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unstack is grayed out, so I can't do it.

I tested it. I clicked on that vertical, tiny bar, to collapse all photos of the same kind behind one.

Then went to Photos>stacking>unstack, but it was still grayed out.

So I clicked on that bar again, and the images came back, but still, the frames were merged in library mode.

Only versions of one photo behave like this, suddenly. I'm sure I didn't hit a key on my keyboard, just clicked, by mistake, not ON the frame, but between frames (usually a little hand appears, but that time that crazy behavior started).

DavidB

• http://davidburren.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 07:54:11 am »

If and when Lightroom "acts funny", just quit it and restart the app. Then see if the problem persists.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197425\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Be careful: if the problem was something that you did (pressed the wrong key, etc) then when you quit it you lose the undo history.
Sometimes the easiest solution is to Cmd/Ctrl-Z enough times to undo your mistake.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 08:25:52 am »

Be careful: if the problem was something that you did (pressed the wrong key, etc) then when you quit it you lose the undo history.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197429\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I don't lose any history when exiting LR.
I should mention I have auto save to metadata/xmp turned on. Saves having to remember to save and allows Bridge etc to see changes and more importantly keeps changes with image, not just in catalogue
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 08:26:39 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

DavidB

• http://davidburren.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 03:12:13 pm »

I don't lose any history when exiting LR.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197436\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Agreed you won't lose any Develop (per-image) history, but you do lose the global history (e.g. the list of which 36 images were removed from a collection, had their rating overridden, etc, etc).
I'm just saying Be Careful about quitting when you're confused about what's going on...

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 08:07:46 pm »

Very good point indeed. You can recover errors in placing files in the wrong folder, collection, etc. using ctr/z - cmd/z.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197596\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I too have had the odd glitch, probably of my own making. My solution is Apple's Time Machine!
It has saved my bacon a couple of times, or at least saved me a lot of time trying to figure out what went wrong.

Bill

The View

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 09:10:50 pm »

Sometimes the easiest solution is to Cmd/Ctrl-Z enough times to undo your mistake.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197429\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Command Z didn't work in this case.

The View

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 09:30:20 pm »

I just opened LR again.

The problem persists.

All PS processed TIFFS that stem from the same DNG are grouped together. The images have no individual cells any more, except when you hover over them.

Also, those weird vertical lines are there. They work like links. They weren't there before.

I wonder if there is code in LR 1.4 that was written into it, like a sleeper code, and with a rather small upgrade you could activate it.

Or it is a piece of forgotten code, stemming from the testing phase, and regarded a different version to treat stacks (and got abandoned, as it is annoyingly impractical). But for some reason, this thing sprang to life in a kind of photo software chestbuster scene, and now I have an alien on the loose in my photo library.

Could this be what happened?

How do I get the ghost back into its bottle?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 09:31:54 pm by The View »

The View

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 10:04:20 pm »

More problems.

I could get rid of the merged cells by simply unstacking (Even though I never stacked).

But now the feature "stack with original" doesn't work any more.

Whenever I get a DNG into PS, it sends it all the way to the end of all the images (which means 400 images now separate source and version).

Also, it makes TWO copies now.

By the way: "stack with original means to stack". But I never had those merged cells,  or those weird bars. Now, that I unstacked, the "stack with original feature stopped working".
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:06:09 pm by The View »

gunnar1

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 10:43:03 pm »

As I related in previous threads, once upon a time I had gobs of problems with LR. Constant crashing, lost data, you name it, I had it.  If I hadn't been so heavily vested in LR from the first public beta, I may have given up at some point.

I have never had a single problem after making one very significant change: To Mac OSX from Windows. I guess I can't be entirely sure that it was the move to Mac that solved all of my LR problems; perhaps I just had a machine with some funny code in it. Lots of Windows users have great success with LR, just not me...

From moment one with beta LR, I was hooked on the UI and general ease of use, and remain so to this day (despite the problems in Windows). I would put it at the top of my list of all time favorite programs of any kind.

Pat
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:44:38 pm by gunnar1 »

The View

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 10:55:18 pm »

I'm on OS X. I haven't even upgraded to 10.5 yet, for stability.

(Big laughter)

One click on the line between the cells of two photos, and since then I can't use my library any more.

All new images coming from PS end up at the end of the folder.

gunnar1

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 11:17:03 pm »

I must say that I am digging Leopard. When my laptop died, and I decided to take the plunge and go Mac, I was actually disappointed. I didn't like the the way type displayed, and I had a time getting used to the UI, coming from Windows. BUT (and there's always a but...) the more I learned and acclimated to Leopard, the bigger a fan I became. When my desktop Windows system RAID array blew up, I decided that it was time for that system to go too! Four thousand some odd dollars later, and the hook is set so deep, I'll never get it out; in fact I'm looking forward to the day when my kids' Dell dies so that I can replace that one with a Mac too.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand, the clicking on the line between cells seems to be a real aberration. When I do that, it just allows me to move the whole grid up and down with a "hand" cursor. When you say that you can't use the Library any more, what exactly do you mean? Also, when you say that all new images coming from PS end up "at the end" of the folder, what do you mean? And what file types are they? Are you re-importing TIFF's ?

Pat

The View

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 12:36:43 am »

when you say that all new images coming from PS end up "at the end" of the folder, what do you mean? And what file types are they? Are you re-importing TIFF's ?

Pat
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197648\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have a folder with about 420 images, and the image I was working on was image 16. So, you have image 16, go to PS, and when you are done, the edited photo isn't next to photo 16 (as it used to be until now), but is now photo 421.
Pages: [1]   Go Up