Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom webpages and iWEB  (Read 17241 times)

dmward

Lightroom webpages and iWEB
« on: May 22, 2008, 04:09:26 pm »

I asked this question on the Apple support site with little results, so maybe here I will have better luck.

Background: I am using iWEB to publish a website that includes several galleries. However, I much prefer the gallery style available from LR specifically the simple viewer template.

However, I am having a great deal of trouble finding out how to link the gallery pages made with LR as subordinate pages to my iWEB generated site.

I am HTML challenged so it needs to be a menu driven or fill in the blank solution.  

I would even opt for a complete site template that I could host somewhere, providing it is also a drag and drop construction similar to iWEB.

Thanks for your tolerant help  

Regards,
David

dmward

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 07:57:12 am »

Most of the LR web gallery templates have an option where you put in your email address and choice of text that is visible to click on. Just use that option as a link to your main iWeb URL address and call it "home" or something of the sort.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197339\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks John,
That is a way to get me back from the LR generated page.
Still leaves the question about how to get to the page from iWEB generated site and where to place the files on a server so that they are accessible to the iWEB generated main site that is being served from dot mac.

David

francois

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 12:04:51 pm »

You might find some help in this discussion:
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....c=24686&hl=iweb
Francois

The View

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 09:24:40 pm »

1. Create a webpage.

2. Create a link. This can anything, like the word PORTFOLIO or a reactangle with PORTFOLIO written in it.

3. Go to "inspector". Find the menu that deals with hyperlinks (a hyperlink is a word, a shape, that has a go-to address attached, so when you hover your cursor, you get the "this is a link"-behavior, and when you click, it takes you to the other page). It's a blue dot with a white, curved arrow in it.

click box "enable as hyperlink".

Then choose from the menu. Connect to "external page". Put in the web address of your portfolio, e.g.  JohnFrankensteinmonsters.com/terrorportfolio.

That's it.

Try it out. Click "enable hyperlinks", click the link, and your browser will launch and get you to the portfolio page.

HOW TO SET UP YOUR LIGHTROOM GALLERY

Just create a collection, click the web module on the right upper corner.

In the web module, choose the viewer you like, adjust the settings.

Upload.

You can use the uploader within lightroom.

Let's say your website is JohnFrankensteinmonsters.com.

Then you create your page by typing into the uploader as destination address: JohnFrankensteinmonsters.com/portfolio.

In your public html folder on your website a new page with this name is created through uploading.

When you now click the hyperlink, it'll carry you to the page.

So, through uploading you, at the same time, create the page address within your domain (domain is the name of your site, like www.JohnFRankensteinmonsters.com) AND upload the content.

Good luck.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

dmward

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 03:52:36 pm »

1. Create a webpage.

2. Create a link. This can anything, like the word PORTFOLIO or a reactangle with PORTFOLIO written in it.

3. Go to "inspector". Find the menu that deals with hyperlinks (a hyperlink is a word, a shape, that has a go-to address attached, so when you hover your cursor, you get the "this is a link"-behavior, and when you click, it takes you to the other page). It's a blue dot with a white, curved arrow in it.

click box "enable as hyperlink".

Then choose from the menu. Connect to "external page". Put in the web address of your portfolio, e.g.  JohnFrankensteinmonsters.com/terrorportfolio.

That's it.

Try it out. Click "enable hyperlinks", click the link, and your browser will launch and get you to the portfolio page.
HOW TO SET UP YOUR LIGHTROOM GALLERY

Just create a collection, click the web module on the right upper corner.

In the web module, choose the viewer you like, adjust the settings.

Upload.

You can use the uploader within lightroom.

Let's say your website is JohnFrankensteinmonsters.com.

Then you create your page by typing into the uploader as destination address: JohnFrankensteinmonsters.com/portfolio.

In your public html folder on your website a new page with this name is created through uploading.

When you now click the hyperlink, it'll carry you to the page.

So, through uploading you, at the same time, create the page address within your domain (domain is the name of your site, like www.JohnFRankensteinmonsters.com) AND upload the content.

Good luck.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197628\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the help.

With what has been posted here and some other answers I was able to workout the process.

Since I am using Leopard, the correct place for the LR generated page is in the "idisk/Web/Sites" folder.

LR will load the files directly to that location which simplifies things.

Then the hyperlink is created using inspector in iWEB and is to "http://web.mac.com/username/foldername/index.html"

"foldername" is whatever you named the folder that LR created on idisk when exporting.

Thanks again for the suggestions. They contributed to getting me to the solution.

The View

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 01:55:41 am »

I forgot this one:

When you are done with your site in iWeb, you hit "publish to a folder". This should be in the edit menu.

You can choose any location you want for your website folder.

You can upload this folder using Fetch, the no.1 uploader in the mac world.

So I am uploading the portfolio using the LR uploader, and the rest of the site using Fetch.

When uploading through fetch, don't upload the folder it creates. Open the folder, and upload the contents to the public.html folder of your website.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

dmward

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 08:23:14 am »

Thanks for the information.
What complicated this is that I am using dot mac to host the iWEB generated website.

There may be a way to use FTP with dot mac, but the iWEB "publish" button accomplishes that.

Then what I have to do is get the LR generated page onto my iDisk in the Web/Sites/ subfolder, then use the URL to that subfolder in a hyperlink attached to text or an image on one of the iWEB generated pages.

Everything works as I hoped now.

Thanks again for your help.

The View

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 10:01:23 pm »

Glad it worked out for you!

Good luck!

Peter S

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 06:27:07 pm »

This is another question on this topic.  I am using iWeb 08 to create a web site BUT publishing the web site via an independednt hosting company using FTP.  I do not have a Mobile Me account.
Can anyone tell me how to create a link from a page in my iWeb designed site which will run a Lightroom Slide Show and where the best place for my Lightroom generated files would be.
I managed this when the site was "home grown" but cannot see how to achieve the same result using iWeb.
Many thanks
Peter

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 01:46:48 am »

Quote from: Peter S
This is another question on this topic.  I am using iWeb 08 to create a web site BUT publishing the web site via an independednt hosting company using FTP.  I do not have a Mobile Me account.
Can anyone tell me how to create a link from a page in my iWeb designed site which will run a Lightroom Slide Show and where the best place for my Lightroom generated files would be.
I managed this when the site was "home grown" but cannot see how to achieve the same result using iWeb.
Many thanks
Peter

I would suggest you place your LR slide show folder inside the folder of your main site.  There is no need to have a Mobile Me account to use iWeb to create and publish web sites, and LR can publish to the same place that your website is published.  Then to link to the gallery you just have to navigate your web sites directory structure.

A litte project I've been working on as an example if you would like ... built in iWeb, hosted by a Mac Mini on my companies network.  the "galleries" are actually generated right from lightroom using TTG Highslide Pro web engine directly into the main sites folder, including all links where you can move to another gallery or return to the home page.  You can see how everything goes through the main URL.

Landscapes by Wayne Fox

Peter S

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 06:06:53 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
I would suggest you place your LR slide show folder inside the folder of your main site.  There is no need to have a Mobile Me account to use iWeb to create and publish web sites, and LR can publish to the same place that your website is published.  Then to link to the gallery you just have to navigate your web sites directory structure.

A litte project I've been working on as an example if you would like ... built in iWeb, hosted by a Mac Mini on my companies network.  the "galleries" are actually generated right from lightroom using TTG Highslide Pro web engine directly into the main sites folder, including all links where you can move to another gallery or return to the home page.  You can see how everything goes through the main URL.

Landscapes by Wayne Fox

Wayne,
Many thanks for your reply.  You have achieved exactly what I was trying to do but I am still not much the wiser as to how you managed it! I have tried putting my exported LR files into a folder on my hard drive and creating a hyperlink using "Link to an external page" in iWeb and entering /users/Peter/flashgal/index.html.  When I try to test this I get a message saying URL/users/Peter/Flashgal/index.html not found.  Now I know the file is there and I know that if I click on the index file the slide show runs but I cannot figure out why.
I looked at the source code for your site but still could not figure it out.  Your site looks really good and it also looks as if someone who knows loads more about html coding than I do did some great work.  Very nice indeed.
Thanks again for your help.  I'll keep trying but if you can offer any more guidance it would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Peter

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 06:37:09 pm »

Quote from: Peter S
Wayne,
Many thanks for your reply.  You have achieved exactly what I was trying to do but I am still not much the wiser as to how you managed it! I have tried putting my exported LR files into a folder on my hard drive and creating a hyperlink using "Link to an external page" in iWeb and entering /users/Peter/flashgal/index.html.  When I try to test this I get a message saying URL/users/Peter/Flashgal/index.html not found.  Now I know the file is there and I know that if I click on the index file the slide show runs but I cannot figure out why.
I looked at the source code for your site but still could not figure it out.  Your site looks really good and it also looks as if someone who knows loads more about html coding than I do did some great work.  Very nice indeed.
Thanks again for your help.  I'll keep trying but if you can offer any more guidance it would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Peter

Everything you see at that site is generated straight out of iWeb and Lightroom.  Not a single line of custom HTML code from me.  While I have written HTML, that was a long time ago, and I would be as confused as you were if I looked at my own source code.

A hyperlink in iWeb (Link to:  An External Page) is exactly that.  It is an internet resource.  You are providing a local directory structure path, which doesn't work as a link.  Basically when using an External page you will be using a www.somesite.com/somefolder/somefile.html   type of link.  This is how my site is working ... the gallery folder is uploaded directly onto the host computer using FTP by LR, placed inside the folder for my site that is generated and uploaded by iWeb.  If you mouse over the Gallery link you will see the link that is entered into iWeb, which is www.landscapesbywaynefox.com/Gallery1   .  

If you are trying to create a workable local version of the site to test, you will set the link using  the Link to: A file option in iWeb and navigate to where the index.html file is inside the folder that was generated by LR.  The challenge is this link won't work once it is uploaded to a hosting service.  Once you get the paths and links right, it is probably easier just to generate your output directly to the host computer from iWeb and LR  and proof the results there.

Since this folder resides inside the main sites folder, there probably is some "path" that can be entered in some format other than the full www.url.com/path  format.  A good html programmer probably knows how to do this (something like .../gallery1).  I found this works and I haven't tried to figure out the "correct" way to actually enter this link.  (any HTML lurkers out there are welcome to clue me in on this one).

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 06:42:08 pm by Wayne Fox »
Pages: [1]   Go Up