Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100ps GP, Mac Leopard and Current HP Software  (Read 5352 times)

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Z3100ps GP, Mac Leopard and Current HP Software
« on: May 21, 2008, 08:40:21 pm »

After finding out last week that there was a new PPD and new firmware for those of us on Mac Leopard with a Z3100ps, I took the plunge and installed driver v4.3.3 with both the Postscript and Raster driver, and upgraded the firmware to TR12PS 6.0.0.7.  According to the installers, all installed without complications.  Upon trying to use it, though, I discovered that this broke my printer.  

The printer utility is able to see and communicate with the printer on a limited basis, but most significantly, it is unable to load the custom paper list, calibrate, or profile papers (although I use APS for profiling).  After several hours of total tech support time on the phone, HP tells me that the only suggestion they have that we haven't tried is to do a complete clean install of Leopard from scratch.  I have several issues with this, including the fact that I was having no problems until I ran these installers, HP tech support had me throw away much of what they are now having me reinstall, and the fact that my Leopard disks are packed away under a bunch of other belongings in preparation for a move to Hawaii.  I have already reinstalled everything they had me throw away from my Time Machine backup and it has not helped, plus I have seen on the largely abandoned HP Tech Forum that others have had the same issue with the custom paper list not showing up.

The ultimate irony is that after upgrading the firmware, the printer now no longer is going to sleep on it's own, APS doesn't work with Leopard anymore (it was working fine for me before the new firmware, in spite of HP's claim that it didn't work with the PS printers on Leopard), and I have ruined what was a working system.  I had issues with random crashes when printing with the Postscript PPD, but just avoided it unless necessary and all was fine.  Now I can't get the raster driver or Postscript to work.

Has anybody managed to solve this, using the current HP software or tried the new software and managed to downgrade back?  I have done many uninstalls, repaired permissions (finding 67 pages of out of place HP files), and done everything short of trying to downgrade the firmware.  I'm not brave enough to try going backwards with the firmware.

Through all of this, HP tech support has been just guessing because they have such a small client base with this specific hardware combo and such generalists working tech support that there is no experience to draw upon.

Thanks in advance for any insight,
Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 04:31:44 pm »

Hello Ron,
I dont know if it is much help to you but:

i am using leopard 10.5.2 on a mac pro 8 core

all works well. but is do not have the ps version but the bnormal version of the z3100

I installed all the latest drivers:

printerdriver = 2.3
hp printerutility is 3.31
firmware =6.0.0.8

and
APS  1.32  also works

I also had sometimes that the utlitly could not find the papers- - after some reinstalling and deleting the printer and making a new one again ( system preferences- printers ) It worked again.

good luck

pieter kers
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 06:23:33 pm »

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=24896

Go here, maybe will help you.

Good Luck

BlasR
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 12:43:59 am »

I'm not sure if the approach mentioned in BlasR's thread would have worked, as it sounds like we had similarities in our complications with the new software, but I read about his solution after solving my problem.

Much to my surprise, the HP suggestion of a complete scorched earth OS installation of Leopard, then a virgin installation of the new HP PPD and raster driver worked like a charm.  Too bad that the installation process was so screwed up that it was required, because the solution was a drastic one, to say the least.  I'm pretty sure that a reinstallation of the OS was not anticipated by HP engineers when they released this update.  

When I ran HP's new PS installer I ran the uninstaller first, and every subsequent time that I tried a different tack with an installation, but I suspect that it was not finding something that conflicted with a new component.  In an all new installation there was no potential for loose bits mucking up the new stuff.  

An interesting difference before having t reinstall Leopard was that the HP installer said that it was installing over 500 files before, and only 200 something when I reinstalled on my clean drive (after all my travails I forget the exact numbers).  This seems to confirm that something was very different before and after, in spite of the fact that the uninstaller should be leaving things in a clean state.

I'm now able to run the PS and raster driver, and even have APS working again, all on 10.5.2., so it is proof that it can be run successfully.  Unfortunately, I have no idea how much of this ordeal was specific to my machine, or is a sign of a poorly written installer/uninstaller from HP.  

-Ron H.

PS:  My printer still fails to go to sleep after the firmware upgrade.  HP tech support had me unplug my Ethernet cable and it went so sleep correctly when offline.  They seem to think the it is getting a ping from my router that is preventing it from sleeping, but it seems odd that the Belkin router would be the one acting differently after upgrading the firmware on my non-Belkin Z3100ps.
-Ron H.

Edhopkins

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 05:18:05 am »

I'm now able to run the PS and raster driver, and even have APS working again, all on 10.5.2., so it is proof that it can be run successfully.  Unfortunately, I have no idea how much of this ordeal was specific to my machine, or is a sign of a poorly written installer/uninstaller from HP. 

-Ron H.

Ron

The APS is still not listed as updated for the z3100ps on Leopard.  Did you find out anything from HP about what is going on?  They say the AP does not work on the z3100ps under Leopard; you are running it on the z3100ps under Leopard.  

Is the APS you are running not working in some subtle way? Is the HP documentation on the APS just plain wrong?  

Or are you still completely in the dark on this point?

(BUt I am glad to hear you are up and running again!!)

Ed In Baltimore

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 12:51:25 pm »

Ed-
I wish I knew a hard and fast answer to your questions about APS.  The HP tech support people are only able to parrot canned answers, and are not able to say why, or offer details about what might not be incompatible.  I do know that my recent problems were totally unrelated to APS, as I had the problems even with APS uninstalled.  I paid for it, and am not willing to give it up for 6 months plus as HP tinkers with it, without more to go on than I've been given about potential problems.
When I reinstalled APS, I was expecting that I would have to stick with the raster driver to continue using it, but so far, so good with Postscript.  I haven't printed with it extensively enough to say that I'm 100% in the clear with the PPD and APS yet, but I can certainly say that there is no significant incompatibility that I've been able to observe.  I have not tried adjusting profiles with it yet, but have profiled new paper and my monitors after upgrading my other HP software.
I've been on the bleeding edge in using APS on the GP printer when HP says it doesn't support it, and I'm sure that some would point to my bad experience as a sign that I got what I deserved.  I tend to look elsewhere for the root of my problems, and point to my current success as a sign that it can be done.  Whether you choose to follow my lead is a personal decision, though, as the rough spot that I just experienced prevents me from being a total pied piper and advocating it unequivocally.  I just know that I'm happy to have everything back and running as it should be.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 06:11:34 pm »

Hi Ron H.,
Well... I was able to upgrade to the HP PS driver for my Z3100ps GP that works with our new printers and the Leopard X.5.3 Mac OS, and was looking for people who are  brave enough to have installed the  APS v1.32 Mac Software which is officially listed as incompatible with the Z3100ps. And I came upon this thread.

Have you learned anything new about your install.

Slightly OT - an odd thing is this...HP states that using printer sharing requires all computers use the same driver. To my surprise the latest driver by HP is Leopard specific and is not backwards compatible. Am I in the twilight zone? I could be mistaken, but I think this is the first time I've ever had printer drivers not be backwards compatible.

Because the profiles I have made with APS 1.32 Mac on my Tiger install appear to be used in the new HP driver just fine, it isn't the end of the world, that it wasn't yet compatible. (Unless you don't have a Tiger install handy.

Thanks, and so long for now, TOM

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 11:36:26 am »

Not backwards compatible in the sense some new features , presets, internal colour maps will be different.
You can use a mix of older drivers but the results may not always be as expected.

dandeliondigital

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 05:21:14 pm »

Not backwards compatible in the sense some new features , presets, internal colour maps will be different.
You can use a mix of older drivers but the results may not always be as expected.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199257\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So Neil,
I guess computing and digital printing is becoming less consistent (or if you want positive spin - more varied) and more of a YMMV proposition.

Glad to hear there isn't any harm trying, except that it may not work as expected.

I am so relieved that after two months of waiting I am up and running with Leopard and the newest ps drivers. Still not sure why I had to do a firmware update. The numbering appears to be the same FW as what I installed last November, unlesss you can verify that there is something new in there regarding postscript?

Anyway it means that I have an awful lot of calibrations to do before I can print.

Can't wait for HP APS to be compatible. Go X-Rite!!!!

I appreciate your comments. Happy printing.

So long for now, TOM

DLP Graphics

• http://www.dlpgraphics.ca
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 12:04:11 am »

Hi Tom,

I have APS 1.32 installed on Leopard and it appears to be running OK with my brand new z3100ps GP. Also both PS 4.3.3.109 and raster 2.3 drivers. I have trouble with PS driver tending to cut off one edge of the print. Raster driver does okay.

I have used APS to profile Epson Enhanced Matte paper. The resulting prints look kind of washed out compared to how my Epson 4800 printed them. Soft proof in Photoshop seemed to match how the print looked. Anyone else tried this paper? I'm quite disappointed with this and its the only paper I have.  

-Steve
HP z3100ps GP
OS 10.5.3

dandeliondigital

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 05:44:13 pm »

Hi Steve,
OK. I think I'll install it and see if I can have results as good.

RE: your profiles of Epson Media. Are you sure you are setting the HPs settings in a matter that is best? I recommend reading HP's articles...

Z2100_and_Z3100_Working_with_other_commercially-available_paper_6.0.0.8.pdf
available at...
http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/space/sho...per_6.0.0.8.pdf

and
How_to_profile_other_commerciallyavailable_paper_6.0.0.8.pdf
available at...
http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/space/sho...per_6.0.0.8.pdf

and also check this out...

http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/papertypes

You may need to adjust the choices you are making. Experimentation is good.

So long for now, TOM

Hi Tom,

I have APS 1.32 installed on Leopard and it appears to be running OK with my brand new z3100ps GP. Also both PS 4.3.3.109 and raster 2.3 drivers. I have trouble with PS driver tending to cut off one edge of the print. Raster driver does okay.

I have used APS to profile Epson Enhanced Matte paper. The resulting prints look kind of washed out compared to how my Epson 4800 printed them. Soft proof in Photoshop seemed to match how the print looked. Anyone else tried this paper? I'm quite disappointed with this and its the only paper I have.  

-Steve
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199653\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up