Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Canvas proofing workflow  (Read 2285 times)

NicholasR

Z3100 Canvas proofing workflow
« on: May 21, 2008, 05:52:29 pm »

Just checking to see if anyone else has a good solution.

I do a bit of printing for fine artists, which involves a great deal of hard proofing on canvas.  The workflow I have currently really sucks and is inefficent.  

Before anyone brings it up...  I custom profile my input (h3d), have a profiled high quality monitor, a color match light workstation, quality lighting (HID).  I understand color (uh, kinda) and have a good idea how to softproof and edit images.   I take every step I can to avoid unnecessary hard proofing.

General workflow:
Soft proof image
Load canvas roll on z3100
print image
manual feed print far enough to cut with scissors
evaluate (and fail for this example)
click unload paper on printer, lift bar, roll paper out, wait for printer to think about it.
Load paper, printer thinks its skewed, fix skew automatically, automatic fix skew fails, fix skew manually, wait.
Able to print again.

So, every iteration requires a full load/unload of the canvas roll.  Pain in the arse.  Is there a way to cut an image off the end of a canvas roll without
a)unloading/reloading the canvas
or
b)wasting a bunch of canvas by feeding far enough to cut off image then just printing again (wastes 6-9 inches)

ideas?
Nick

A. Andrew Gonzalez

Z3100 Canvas proofing workflow
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 11:04:45 pm »

You don't have to unload/reload.
What I've been doing works about 90% of the time. At the end of printing, I'll feed the canvas out a bit, lift the blue lever (leave it up) and pull out the canvas to cut.
After cutting (with the lever still up) I'll roll back the canvas with my hand while looking through the printer cover window and pull it back the canvas until the edge meets guide rail (not sure what that part is called but the canvas feeds under it) where you can just see the edge of the canvas coming out under the guide rail, make sure it lines up evenly along the rail (if it's misaligned you will have to reload) and lower the blue lever. The canvas will load ready for the next job. Saves a lot of time.
A. Andrew Gonzalez
[url=http://www.subli
Pages: [1]   Go Up