Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo Books  (Read 4813 times)

Andres Bonilla

Photo Books
« on: May 21, 2008, 02:08:09 pm »

I ran across an article that talked about online printing services tha print a hardcover book of yout photos for a decent price. They are the amateur, keepsake sites like Snapfish and Mypublisher ( I think) there are the better ones like Photoworks and Blurp and then there is the Photographers membership from SharedInk wich looked very interesting. I think ther is also Azuka books that caters to professionals only. I have rad from "grainy, magenta photos" to great looking coffee table books. Most of the negative reviews are from a couple of years ago, the better ones are more recent and it even includes some of the amateur inexpensive sites. I think most of them use a HP Indigo 4 inks off set machine. I was told that of course the prints would not look as good as a proffesionally printed gallery type Epson print. But that they looked really good specially if you use the premium choices. I would like one just for me, not to resale in quantities. Have you guys have any experinece with these sites?

Thanks,

Andres

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
Photo Books
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 06:28:53 pm »

I've used Blurb for personal and family photo books.  Works fine for me.  The Blurb template is a bit limited but is improving steadily.
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

LARRYWESTBROOK

Photo Books
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 01:25:20 pm »

I have used Sharedink for three years and they do a great job. They will make it right if anything goes wrong on their end.Excellent quality.

Andres Bonilla

Photo Books
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 10:48:53 pm »

Thank you guys! Blurp and SharedInk seems to be the best bet. Larry did you use the Photographers membership or the regular site? Gordon what about the quality of printing from Blurb?

Panorama

Photo Books
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 02:30:22 pm »

finding a company that will produce a high quality, hard-cover book with excellent print quality is a challenge.

I've never seen a sharedink book up close, but their options look pretty limited (2 books and a PDF).

Blurb also has it's issues. Last year I purchased Blurb's "how to make a book example" or whatever it's called, and was underwhelmed. Also, the last time I checked they had still not gotten their print quality up to a high enough level.  All the images are semi low in contrast/saturation.

Asuka had limited sizes that all seemed like a compromise for what I wanted, but equal or better quality than Blurb.

You might want to look at Pikto.com (MR used them for at least one of his books). They too have their limitations, but the quality is higher than Blurb and the others. You also have more options than some of the others like SharedInk. I'll look at Pikto again as they're going to add new options, including dusk jackets (may already be done).

There are others too (Lulu, Fastback, et. al.), but no one - at least not that I've found - seems to have been able to put all the pieces together yet. If anyone has knowledge someone new entering the market that offers high quality, good options, and reasonable prices,  I'd also appreciate knowing about it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 02:35:44 pm by Panorama »

Andres Bonilla

Photo Books
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 11:13:02 pm »

finding a company that will produce a high quality, hard-cover book with excellent print quality is a challenge.

I've never seen a sharedink book up close, but their options look pretty limited (2 books and a PDF).

Blurb also has it's issues. Last year I purchased Blurb's "how to make a book example" or whatever it's called, and was underwhelmed. Also, the last time I checked they had still not gotten their print quality up to a high enough level.  All the images are semi low in contrast/saturation.

Asuka had limited sizes that all seemed like a compromise for what I wanted, but equal or better quality than Blurb.

You might want to look at Pikto.com (MR used them for at least one of his books). They too have their limitations, but the quality is higher than Blurb and the others. You also have more options than some of the others like SharedInk. I'll look at Pikto again as they're going to add new options, including dusk jackets (may already be done).

There are others too (Lulu, Fastback, et. al.), but no one - at least not that I've found - seems to have been able to put all the pieces together yet. If anyone has knowledge someone new entering the market that offers high quality, good options, and reasonable prices,  I'd also appreciate knowing about it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198107\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well, I bookwarked Pikto but in the net the ALL look good,the proof I guess is in the actual book. Pikto is much more expensive than the others, hopefully the will deliver a better quality. Maybe I would star small and see their printing.

Thanks,

Andres
Pages: [1]   Go Up