Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad 40mm C distagon and digital back  (Read 4964 times)

buzzski

• Scottish wedding  photography on film and digital
Hasselblad 40mm C distagon and digital back
« on: May 21, 2008, 02:04:51 pm »

Hello all, I recently posted asking your thoughts and experiences between a Blad SWC and 40mm distagon. I opted for the 40mm option and picked up a C version second hand for a very reasonable price. I've not exhaustively tested the lens as yet but from the quick shot that I have done I am delighted to say that the image quality is very good. I was concerned about distortion but I'm using an Aptus 17 and I cannot see any evidence of it at all, my test was nice and plumb and sharp out to the corners. I must admit, it is a beast of a lens to hand-hold but mounted on a pod it seems fine, maybe a bit front heavy but otherwise real nice. I have noticed that off the camera, the focussing is nice and smooth through the entire range but once mounted it is a bit stiffer, due to the weight of the front of the lens. Has anyone else picked up on this and if so is it a common fault or indeed do you know of a way to deal with it? It isn't a big deal at all but if anyone can advise I'd be much obliged. Thanks, Craig

rhsu

Hasselblad 40mm C distagon and digital back
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 09:19:11 pm »

I'm new here looking for something else (Schneider 35xl and 47xl) and saw this post - so thought quickly reply.  I used the CFE-FLE-40mm (non-IF version) on my 503CW w/ V96C (assuming your back would be similiar 16mp square format)INSTEAD of the CF version because according to the MTF and worldwide users, CFE renders a MUCH better results than the CF (albeit the softness that you see in your images) and CFE-IF - probably with film users rather than digital and film DO NOT seat flat like digital sensor does so it is a very concluding fact albeit why I got the CFE.  It is bloody sharp because you are ONLY using the "sweet spot" of the lens which is at its sharpest!  (CFE-IF has "more" distortion than the CFE-FLE version - by adding the IF may have produced the effect.)  Like to see the lens against a full-frame sensor - that would be on a 22mp/39mp - and see the edges and fall out.  In terms of the focusing ring, its because it is close to the camera body that you don't get a good grip.  I haven't notice it when I owned one (sell on shelve for sale - in Aust, no one shoots MF anymore let alone acquiring special lens like this) but with 20/20 hindsight, in comparison to my CFE 80mm, you are right that the 40mm is a bit tight.  But when compared with the CFE 180, I dare say it is on par with your 40mm experience... so must be the weight of the glasses (it's a heavy piece of lens)!
Pages: [1]   Go Up