Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C14.1 tethered Failure  (Read 4821 times)

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
C14.1 tethered Failure
« on: May 20, 2008, 11:05:32 am »

(I posted this at Phase Owners forum)

I said I was not going to use C1 4.1 for work, but I did downloaded, connected my Mamiya/P25 to it and tested in my studio tethered. Worked ok.

So yesterday I was doing something simple for a friend and decided to shoot with 4.1 just to see.

I don't know what happened and don't want to spend time on the postmortem of the failure, but what I know is this:

The camera-program began acting strange, refusing to shoot, shooting two times after one "order to shoot", camera was not shown as being connected and at the end ... purple images began to appear.

So I quit C1 4.1 and open C1 3.7 and things are sooo nice and normal. Same computer, same settings, same camera, same FireWire cable (computer's power cord was always connected to outlet).

This is not the PhaseOne I knew. I have come to appreciate the security and robustness, the "can do" attitude of C1. Always there, being abused, working on an aging laptop, with little attention from me (mostly I have to pay attention to the client and the photography)

I don't know if this is only me, and sorry that I don't make more tests and collect data about what happened. Probably I'm not doing something I should do, but basically I have no time for debugging a program that should be plug an play..
[font=Comic Sa

jonstewart

C14.1 tethered Failure
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 11:17:31 am »

You seen the other thread on the 4.1 lockups?
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

Snook

C14.1 tethered Failure
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 02:37:54 pm »

You seen the other thread on the 4.1 lockups?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196786\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree ,
Did you look at the other posts.
Some people by removing the "Shared" folder stopped the problems?
Supposedly 3.7 and 4.1 share the same folder or something
You might want to do a search and see if that is your problem?
Snook

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
C14.1 tethered Failure
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 05:56:36 pm »

Under Windows, Capture 3.7.x and Capture 4.x will both load under,
Program Files==Phase One, then inside the Phase One folder you will find a folder for
Capture One PRO (which has 3.7.x) and Capture One 4 (which has 4.x)

It's also a problem Phase One might not fully understand, as their instructions to fully remove a Phase One 3.7.x install state you need to totally remove the Phase One folder.  If you do this, then you will also remove Capture One 4.   (This came up for me as I continue to have 3.7.8 abort while processing over 10 P45 files in batch. Phase One asked that I totally remove the current 3.7.8 install.  You have to do more than just go to control panel and use add/remove programs)  

When you install Capture 4.x I also don't remember a prompt asking where it will be installed so at that time you could place it in a different location than 3.7.x  There might be one and I missed it.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Leonardo Barreto

C14.1 tethered Failure
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 09:41:04 pm »

If I remove C1 3.8 and C1 4 does not work then I can't work. On the other side C1 3.8 if fine for me, I feel at home in it no learning curve, just one click and a robotic hand makes all the folders for a new capture session in the exact predictable repeatable way as the rest of the sessions.

I could play with C1 4, but not if I had to compromise the workhorse that is C1 3.8

I have tree camera profiles that I custom made for my back. That is working on C1 3.8 and I know that I could make them work with C1 4.1, but after debugging it etc.

In other words, I gave the new program a chance to work, now I think I will probably wait for C1 4 PRO... and do the homework for that one ... maybe
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 09:41:29 pm by Leonardo Barreto »
[font=Comic Sa

Snook

C14.1 tethered Failure
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 09:05:38 am »

If I remove C1 3.8 and C1 4 does not work then I can't work. On the other side C1 3.8 if fine for me, I feel at home in it no learning curve, just one click and a robotic hand makes all the folders for a new capture session in the exact predictable repeatable way as the rest of the sessions.

I could play with C1 4, but not if I had to compromise the workhorse that is C1 3.8

I have tree camera profiles that I custom made for my back. That is working on C1 3.8 and I know that I could make them work with C1 4.1, but after debugging it etc.

In other words, I gave the new program a chance to work, now I think I will probably wait for C1 4 PRO... and do the homework for that one ... maybe
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196905\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Did anyone notice that there is a 4.1.1 now out as of today???
IS like a silent update or something..????
Snook

Leonardo Barreto

C14.1 tethered Failure
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 09:45:50 am »

They have been very quiet about the tethered version that doesn't tether.

This is what I got after insisting on the owners forum. I asked them what if you spend $27k and can't connect your back to the portable..

They make it seam as if is my problem and I have to "create a support case". But I have no time for that -- specially since this is not even the final C1 PRO 4.2-- as if it was a project. The fact is that 4.1 is failing not just to me but it is lighting up the forums with adopters with the same syndrome.

I know that it is C1 4.1 since I shoot tethered constantly -- 99% of my work is tethered-- and the other versions of C1 work with absolute perfection and reliability. I always recommend the Phase One brand because of this robust and stable connection with the FireWire (I can also trigger the camera from the laptop, and I know that other backs don't do that, like a Leaf/AFD, for example)

Has anyone resolve the issues with C14.1.1??

"Word from New York (or in todays case O'Hare airport Chicago)

What do you do if you spent $27,000 and cant connect? Simple: Create a support case and you will receive support in a timely fashion. Your local dealer is also a fantastic source of support. In fact we train them to be your first responders when you experience troubles. (as a matter of fact I just wrapped up a training seminar today)

We supporters respond to questions on the forum as we have time, however many days we do not have much time to devote to the forum, but you will always always always recieve a response on the support system.

My first suspicion however relating to tethering problems with 4.1 may be tethering problems in general. Can you still shoot to 3.7.8? What about to CF card? Best plan is to create a support case and we can go into more details of your situation.

Did anyone notice that there is a 4.1.1 now out as of today???
IS like a silent update or something..????
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197448\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[font=Comic Sa

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
C14.1 tethered Failure
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 10:07:03 am »

Leonardo,

You can trigger the Sinarbacks from the laptop as well, with Captureshop or eXposure, it's called "Slave Mode".

Best regards,
Thierry

I can also trigger the camera from the laptop, and I know that other backs don't do that, ...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197704\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

jonstewart

C14.1 tethered Failure
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 10:21:11 am »

Leonardo,

I completely agree with most of your points.

For me, shooting in 3.7.8 tethered removed the problem. Was able to shoot again in 4.1.1.

It is a reflection on Phase on that they're perfectly happy to sell, but not support in the ways that we find most important ie produce software that works!
Jon
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

TMARK

C14.1 tethered Failure
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 01:20:29 am »

Tethering in C1 4.1.1 worked for me after 4.1 failed.  I captured 254 images with no problem.  However, it failed the cord yank test.  After yanking the cord the back locked up.  I had to restart the back and the camera and then C1.  Restarting the camera and back worked to get things going again.  Restarting the back alone did not solve the problem.  Before using 4.1.1 on a job it has to pass the cord pull test.

Anyone else pull the cord while a file was transferring? result?

Thanks

TMark

Leonardo Barreto

C14.1 tethered Failure
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 09:41:03 am »

TMARK
Oh, I love to yank the cord ! If yank means to just unplug the camera from the FireWire -the portable or both- The experience gives you a good sense of freedom since you don't have to drag things to trash bins (in my case I have one that pops up and changes size and location with the "genie effect" or, worst: "DISK CANNOT BE EJECTED BECAUSE IT IS IN USE" etc. My shoot work flow dictates that immediately after capture I untether so that the camera and laptop are safer from tripping accidents. (I also take the camera from tripod and in to pelican case).

It seams that they are working on what will probably be a fantastic program, but it is also evident that C14 dot 1 and the dot 1 dot 1 are nothing but BETA releases, don't you think?

On the meantime I'm reading the PDF Capture_One_User_Guide made for 4.1 and available at Phase One site.

At the start of the Guide I was happy to see that you can change the tone of background from the dark gray -- they say that this it is "good practice" to set it to that -- all the way to white, but was disappointed to see that changing it did nothing to the interface other than to change the background directly behind the displayed image. The value of colors continued to be impossible to read, for example, being in color type over dark gray background...

Tethering in C1 4.1.1 worked for me after 4.1 failed.  I captured 254 images with no problem.  However, it failed the cord yank test.  After yanking the cord the back locked up.  I had to restart the back and the camera and then C1.  Restarting the camera and back worked to get things going again.  Restarting the back alone did not solve the problem.  Before using 4.1.1 on a job it has to pass the cord pull test.

Anyone else pull the cord while a file was transferring? result?

Thanks
TMark
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198463\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:42:15 am by Leonardo Barreto »
[font=Comic Sa

TMARK

C14.1 tethered Failure
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 11:34:18 am »

It seams that they are working on what will probably be a fantastic program, but it is also evident that C14 dot 1 and the dot 1 dot 1 are nothing but BETA releases, don't you think?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198517\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

4 seemed like a beta.  4.1.1 feels finished, for its feature set.  What I mean is that 4.1.1 is missing some features but what is included works really well.  OK some of the sliders are too sensative and some text hard to read, but the lens correction tools work well and the conversions are really fantastic.  4.1.1 feels incomplete because it is missing the Pro features and some Lightroom features.

I just hope that when Pro is released it doesn't have any issues like 4.  

Today I'm using 3.7 to shoot a look book.  It is just solid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up