Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod fluid head for camcorder  (Read 32999 times)

Paul Kerfoot

Tripod fluid head for camcorder
« on: May 19, 2008, 04:02:52 pm »

I have been looking at camcorder fluid heads suitable for mounting on either of my existing tripods (Gitzo 1325, 1228).  Most camcorders weigh between one and two pounds.  Most fluid heads are rated to carry a lot more than this,  two pounds being at the low end of the load weight for most.  What are the disadvantages in using a head rated for significantly more weight than necessary other than the obvious cost and weight?  Is there a good fluid head (costing less than the average camcorder) suitable for the 1-2 lb camcorder?  I am not adverse to spending some money for a good one; cameras come and go but tripods/heads are forever.

Thanks
Paul Kerfoot

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 04:20:28 pm »

Paul,

Check out Miller Tripods. They have a full range of models and packages to handle just about any size of video camera. I bought a DS20 system for our Sony EX1 and its panning is very smooth, and setup is a matter of seconds.
~ CB

citizenjoe

• Antarctica 2016
    • www.HughConacher.com
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 10:17:52 pm »

Although, not as high end as the Miller products, I've been very happy with my Manfrotto 701 RC2 head, which I simply mount on the legs I happen to traveling with.  Less to carry!  Mind you, I'm using a heavier camera than you propose.  Velbon makes a smaller video tripod that's supposed to be OK....

Cheers,
Hugh
Hugh, from Winnipeg.

LughClyde

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 05:03:36 pm »

If the price of the Miller is unbelievable to you and the Manfrotto even looks pretty high, you might want to consider the Velbon:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4261...id_Panhead.html

I have one and think it's pretty good. It's a tad hard to get the adjustment just right, but when you do it can be pretty smooth. I find it usable, if I do my part. It isn't the best fluid head out there, but it probably is the best for $150.

Clyde
Pages: [1]   Go Up