Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: COMMERCIAL DAY RATES ???  (Read 13124 times)

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
COMMERCIAL DAY RATES ???
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2008, 01:25:58 pm »

I can tell you that in Asia they have almost all a wife like that!

Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197032\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmmm....... I have to show this comment to my wife then.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 01:26:48 pm by rueyloon »

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
COMMERCIAL DAY RATES ???
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2008, 01:33:27 pm »

funny! not later than last week I was in your country, Singapore, and have been visiting a big studio  with our distributor, since the photographer/owner is interested in the new Hy6 system.
When it came to discuss about prices and quotation, the photographer suddenly pointed to his wife and said: "she is running the business, speak to her".

I don't take this negatively, don't misunderstand me. I would love to have a wife taking care of such, but am not so lucky.

Thierry

Hmmm....... I have to show this comment to my wife then.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197061\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

TMARK

COMMERCIAL DAY RATES ???
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2008, 01:35:40 pm »

Yes, I am a very fortunate & happy man

No kidding, it is a very good combination. It allows her to be very frank, direct and sometimes firm where I need to be able to remain on a good foot to be able to continue to work with clients.

She is also a pitbull in collecting outstanding bills. In the Netherlands companies have one of the worst payment policies in Europe according studies. My biggest client makes it a sport to wait as long as possible with paying (they always do pay). I am kept in the dark about these things otherwise I just might explode during a shoot with them which is un-productive I have been told.

Next to all that, did I mention she can style garments in a way that most other stylists cannot? We actually form a very good team together. We found it a very good way to be able to spend time together as well as doing something we both like.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197031\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have a similar arrangement.  My wife is an MUA.  I hire her to work on all of my editorials, but not commercial work. On commercial jobs I like to keep it more professional, because as a married couple we discard our professional masks in dealing with one another.  One thing I notice, and this is funny, she will just walk into a shot and fix a wrinkle or fly aways etc without asking.  I'll see her walk into the frame.  She won't listen to me on set, which is really funny sometimes!  She only does this with me, not any other photogs.  She doesn't fool with the business side but does most of my marketing. She was an AD at a small ad agency in a past life, so she has a great eye and is really great with color.  Its fun to share a vision for a shoot and make it happen together.

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
COMMERCIAL DAY RATES ???
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2008, 01:45:09 pm »

My wife is Japanese, but I could not afford to hire here. In japan, since the times of samurai the wife was the one who managed all aspects related to money. The man basically had to know how to use the katana really well or he would loose his head...

But seriously, the business part of photography is so different to the other part that a lot of photographers have problems being really good at both.

I give in to clients too easily, and it is a mistake.

There was a scandal recently here in New York when the Governor of the state was found out spending $80,000 on sex services from a prostitution ring. One of the girls, talking to the press was asked what did she do of extraordinary for charging the way she was (don't remember, but it was something like thousands of dollars per hour) and she said that "the service is exactly the same, but I get more respect with high fees)

I thought that it may also apply to us photographers...

I can tell you that in Asia they have almost all a wife like that!

Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197032\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[font=Comic Sa

elitegroup

COMMERCIAL DAY RATES ???
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2008, 02:41:37 pm »

One thing I notice, and this is funny, she will just walk into a shot and fix a wrinkle or fly aways etc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197067\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry this might be irrelevant but it reminded me of a joke I read some where......

How do you know you're a photographer?

When you turn to the person next to you in an elevator and carefully pat down stray fly away hairs  

TMARK

COMMERCIAL DAY RATES ???
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2008, 04:05:13 pm »

Sorry this might be irrelevant but it reminded me of a joke I read some where......

How do you know you're a photographer?

When you turn to the person next to you in an elevator and carefully pat down stray fly away hairs 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197077\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Too true.

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
COMMERCIAL DAY RATES ???
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2008, 09:21:33 pm »

funny! not later than last week I was in your country, Singapore, and have been visiting a big studio  with our distributor, since the photographer/owner is interested in the new Hy6 system.
When it came to discuss about prices and quotation, the photographer suddenly pointed to his wife and said: "she is running the business, speak to her".

I don't take this negatively, don't misunderstand me. I would love to have a wife taking care of such, but am not so lucky.

Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197065\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, just joking with you. I would like to confirm that THAT is actually very true. Over here there are many husband and wife teams, with their roles exactly as you said. I didn't know this is unique here, I tot it might be the same all over the world.

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
COMMERCIAL DAY RATES ???
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2008, 11:11:55 pm »

I work with my wife on 100% of assignments. Matter of fact we spend 24 hours/365 for the past 12 years. I works great for us. She is a very savvy business women, great computer tech and an ex model. All retouching for my studio goes through her hands. We separated areas of knowledge so there is no need to cross lines ever. I would not be able to work a day without her and my work would never look the same.
http://AndreNapier.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up