Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are adjustments in ACR destructive?  (Read 8750 times)

NigelC

Are adjustments in ACR destructive?
« on: May 19, 2008, 02:45:38 am »

In Photoshop, I've been taught not to carry out adustments from the Image menu but to do each adjustment in a separate layer and flatten at the end, as this is less destructive of the image. I normally do minimal adjustments in ACR (3.3), mainly shadows and highlights, maybe white balance. Does this also impair the image?

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 03:01:22 am »

In Photoshop, I've been taught not to carry out adustments from the Image menu but to do each adjustment in a separate layer and flatten at the end, as this is less destructive of the image. I normally do minimal adjustments in ACR (3.3), mainly shadows and highlights, maybe white balance. Does this also impair the image?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196492\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No, the adjustments are only applied (rendered) when the RAW file is saved out as a TIFF or exported to Photoshop. The adjustments may be thought of as a set of 'instructions; these are stored with the image file but do not affect the original data.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

NigelC

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 04:20:19 am »

No, the adjustments are only applied (rendered) when the RAW file is saved out as a TIFF or exported to Photoshop. The adjustments may be thought of as a set of 'instructions; these are stored with the image file but do not affect the original data.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196495\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Great - thanks for that information

sniper

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 09:55:05 am »

ACR is only non distructive on RAW files if your opening jpeg/tiff in ACR then it is changing the image pixles.  Wayne

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 12:33:39 pm »

ACR is only non distructive on RAW files if your opening jpeg/tiff in ACR then it is changing the image pixles.  Wayne
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196548\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Exactly! Although some could argue it may be less destructive since all edits are applied at once in an idealized order. But then, everything is going into a linear encoded, high bit ProPhoto space. One could also argue that an 8-bit sRGB image having a 2.2 encoding might suffer more than a high bit ProPhoto RGB (1.8 encoding) as a source for the conversions. And what you ask for out the back end could play a role.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up