Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Famous high-key / low-key photographers  (Read 17814 times)

ChrisJR

• http://
Famous high-key / low-key photographers
« on: May 17, 2008, 02:11:27 pm »

I'm trying to do some research on photographers that have had had careers primarily based on either low-key or high-key lighting techniques.

Can anyone suggest any names to research on? Doesn't matter what decade they are.

Thanks
Chris

Rob C

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 09:03:29 am »

I'm trying to do some research on photographers that have had had careers primarily based on either low-key or high-key lighting techniques.

Can anyone suggest any names to research on? Doesn't matter what decade they are.

Thanks
Chris
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196272\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

High Key: See John French, former mentor to David Bailey. Decades: I first met his work in the 50s and he was still active (I think) early 60s.

Rob C
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 09:05:11 am by Rob C »

DesW

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 10:49:54 am »

High Key: See John French, former mentor to David Bailey. Decades: I first met his work in the 50s and he was still active (I think) early 60s.

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196371\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ha!-- I went for an assistant Job at The great John French's Studio in London in 1960- he was an impeccably dressed suave gentleman--Snappers wore ties in the studio in those days!

Didn't get the job--some young upstart named Bailey got it!

I suggest looking at the books of Sam Haskins the venerable South African Shooter--his books Cowboy Kate etc are classic examples of the Hi-key look.

I have printed in the  same darkroom with his printer Carfax Smith-a Cape Colored from SA .

It all from Tri-X film with a Photoflood in the enlarger --ha!

Good Luck,

Des W

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 05:34:18 am »

Ha!-- I went for an assistant Job at The great John French's Studio in London in 1960- he was an impeccably dressed suave gentleman--Snappers wore ties in the studio in those days!

Didn't get the job--some young upstart named Bailey got it!

I suggest looking at the books of Sam Haskins the venerable South African Shooter--his books Cowboy Kate etc are classic examples of the Hi-key look.

I have printed in the  same darkroom with his printer Carfax Smith-a Cape Colored from SA .

It all from Tri-X film with a Photoflood in the enlarger --ha!

Good Luck,

Des W
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196565\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have the new, re-printed edition of "Kate" but am not so convinced that it really is a valid illustration of high-key photography which is not always the same thing as high-key printing, if you see what I mean. I get the impression that Sam has made a lot of use of ferri! Also, the new book is post-PS and Haskins praises its ability to improve and save old, damaged original work. Make of that what you will, but I become more and more doubtful of the roads to the ends in almost everything as time goes on. Vogue used to credit its retoucher on the mas-credtits page (mast, or something, wasn´t that the name for the glory page?) and white faces were the norm in fashion way back then. But of course, that was in the days of black and white... However it was achieved, it worked!

Reassuring to see somebody else from those days still engaged, willing and able to write. Not many of us left, you know.

Rob C
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 05:35:19 am by Rob C »
Pages: [1]   Go Up