Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick Mamiya RZ67 w/ Aptus Question  (Read 6973 times)

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
Quick Mamiya RZ67 w/ Aptus Question
« on: May 17, 2008, 01:33:35 am »

If I hook up a Leaf Aptus back to a Mamiya 67 ProIID with the proper adapter, will the back rotate between horizontal and vertical like it would with a filmback? Or would I have to remove the back to rotate it?

Thanks,

John

Misha.Gravenor

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 02:03:14 am »

If I hook up a Leaf Aptus back to a Mamiya 67 ProIID with the proper adapter, will the back rotate between horizontal and vertical like it would with a filmback? Or would I have to remove the back to rotate it?

Thanks,

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196207\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

with the Mamiya plate and a AFD mount back, yes it will.

yaya

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 02:09:35 am »

Thanks,

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196207\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes it will rotate, with whichever adapter that you choose: The Mamiya HX700 with an AFD mount back or one of the 4 that we make (AFD, H, Contax and AFi)

See attached the installation procedure for the Leaf-made one(s) - all require a sync cable.

Yair

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 11:23:28 am »

Thanks for the responses. I'm a little confused though.

- Why does the RZ "D" need a sync cable? Isn't the point of the D that it's able to communicate with the digital back?
- Is this true of all backs with the RZ?
- Can it overshoot an Aptus?

Thanks,

John

yaya

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 12:26:41 pm »

Thanks for the responses. I'm a little confused though.

- Why does the RZ "D" need a sync cable? Isn't the point of the D that it's able to communicate with the digital back?
- Is this true of all backs with the RZ?
- Can it overshoot an Aptus?

Thanks,

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196247\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The "D" if used with an adapter OTHER THAN THE MAMIYA HX700 will work exactly like the non-D which means it'll need a cable.

So you're looking at two options for the "D":

1. Aptus (AFD mount, set to "AFD") + HX700 adapter = no cable, no oveshooting

2. Aptus (AFD, H or V-series, set to "RZ") + Leaf mechanical adapter = need a cable and can overshoot (although the "S", specifically the A54S, is quicker than the camera anyway)

Yair

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 12:45:48 pm »

The "D" if used with an adapter OTHER THAN THE MAMIYA HX700 will work exactly like the non-D which means it'll need a cable.

So you're looking at two options for the "D":

1. Aptus (AFD mount, set to "AFD") + HX700 adapter = no cable, no oveshooting

2. Aptus (AFD, H or V-series, set to "RZ") + Leaf mechanical adapter = need a cable and can overshoot (although the "S", specifically the A54S, is quicker than the camera anyway)
Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196253\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This overshooting thing bugs me and though this is directed at Leaf a lot of this can be tossed out at all the camera makers.

For 12 months my A-22 would overhsoot non tethered on the Contax (or to cards).  I spent at least 8 months telling LOA that I was tired of counting out "one potatoe, two potatoe" before I fired another frame and the response from LOA was "I've never heard of that too often".

I know I was unpleasently (or pleasently surprised) when I put another makers back on the contax and it didn't overshoot.

So as chance would have it the very day I sold the A-22 I got an e-mail from a dealer that said the overshooting for the Contax is now fixed.

That breaks my brain that any medium format back for a digital interfaced camera like the Contax (especialy the Contax because there is no moving firmware updates), would take this long to sort out.

Once again, befoe any company starts saying the new one now works, I strongly suggest they make the original version of any back work with the intended camera.

JR

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 01:01:36 pm »

Thanks again for the replies. Yair, one more thing, I've searched for the "HX700" and nothing comes up. Is it known by another name? I've googled it and looked for it at Calumet, B&H etc.

Thanks,

John

yaya

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 01:27:08 pm »

This overshooting thing bugs me and though this is directed at Leaf a lot of this can be tossed out at all the camera makers.

For 12 months my A-22 would overhsoot non tethered on the Contax (or to cards).  I spent at least 8 months telling LOA that I was tired of counting out "one potatoe, two potatoe" before I fired another frame and the response from LOA was "I've never heard of that too often".

I know I was unpleasently (or pleasently surprised) when I put another makers back on the contax and it didn't overshoot.

So as chance would have it the very day I sold the A-22 I got an e-mail from a dealer that said the overshooting for the Contax is now fixed.

That breaks my brain that any medium format back for a digital interfaced camera like the Contax (especialy the Contax because there is no moving firmware updates), would take this long to sort out.

Once again, befoe any company starts saying the new one now works, I strongly suggest they make the original version of any back work with the intended camera.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196259\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Contax overshooting was a fairly odd one since it was only happening with certain backs and certain bodies due to faulty contacts board. Those few backs were recalled and repaired under warranty.

Re "befoe any company starts saying the new one now works"; There is nothing new with the RZd and other than the fact that the HX700 adapter eats the camera's batteries, it works fine.

Yair

yaya

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 01:31:19 pm »

Thanks again for the replies. Yair, one more thing, I've searched for the "HX700" and nothing comes up. Is it known by another name? I've googled it and looked for it at Calumet, B&H etc.

Thanks,

John
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

On the MAC website it shows as #212-107:

[a href=\"http://www.mamiya.com/mamiya-zd-back-accessories-adapter-for-rz67-pro-iid.html]http://www.mamiya.com/mamiya-zd-back-acces...67-pro-iid.html[/url]

Yair

James R Russell

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 01:42:28 pm »

The Contax overshooting was a fairly odd one since it was only happening with certain backs and certain bodies due to faulty contacts board. Those few backs were recalled and repaired under warranty.

Re "befoe any company starts saying the new one now works"; There is nothing new with the RZd and other than the fact that the HX700 adapter eats the camera's batteries, it works fine.

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196265\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK.

It may have been "fairly" odd, but in all fairness as a customer I paid full price and reported the issue for months and the resposne was very, very, very, vague as to if there even was an issue.

LOA does a pretty good job of staying on top of things, but I went through the same thing with the LCD and later overheating.  First I'm told i'ts fine, only to eventually have the lcd replaced and later the whole back.

During the "it's fine" stage, I have work to do so I think you can see the frustration.

I think one of the problems was LOA didn't even have a Contax body on the premises, so I would have to send in the whole kit, which also was fine, as long as there was a fix.

On the overshooting the fix came way late.

JR

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 02:07:38 pm »

Thanks again! Since I'm on a roll here, can an Aptus back for an H series Hassie be converted over to a Mamiya AFD?

John

yaya

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 02:55:19 pm »

Thanks again! Since I'm on a roll here, can an Aptus back for an H series Hassie be converted over to a Mamiya AFD?

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196271\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, for a fee it can be exchanged with an AFD mount back.

Or if you are happy to use a sync cable, you can purchase a an RZ adapter for that H back.

Yair

yaya

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 03:02:50 pm »

OK.

It may have been "fairly" odd, but in all fairness as a customer I paid full price and reported the issue for months and the resposne was very, very, very, vague as to if there even was an issue.

LOA does a pretty good job of staying on top of things, but I went through the same thing with the LCD and later overheating.  First I'm told i'ts fine, only to eventually have the lcd replaced and later the whole back.

During the "it's fine" stage, I have work to do so I think you can see the frustration.

I think one of the problems was LOA didn't even have a Contax body on the premises, so I would have to send in the whole kit, which also was fine, as long as there was a fix.

On the overshooting the fix came way late.

JR

I agree the response and communication were not perfect, party due to the fact that there were so few reports.
However thanks to yourself and a handful of other users we managed to find the source of the problem and to resolve it. The solution took some time as it required designing and manufacturing a new contacts board.

The other issues that you mention (over-heating and LCD) were not, and still aren't listed as "known issues" since they were one-offs.

Yair

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 05:10:56 pm »

I shoot Rz/A75S everyday. With the motor drive it can not be overshot since it shoots faster than the motor moves the mirror. Without a motor drive you would have to be a Cowboy to recock, compose refocus and shoot faster than 1 sec. I never did.
Andre

James R Russell

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 09:23:47 pm »

I agree the response and communication were not perfect, party due to the fact that there were so few reports.
However thanks to yourself and a handful of other users we managed to find the source of the problem and to resolve it. The solution took some time as it required designing and manufacturing a new contacts board.

The other issues that you mention (over-heating and LCD) were not, and still aren't listed as "known issues" since they were one-offs.

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196278\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I do and did appreciate everything Leaf did to make the Aptus right and I believe today it is very close to right.

Regardless and this isn't just pointed at any one make, all of these cameras have to work right out of the box.

There are a lot of experienced people here and many have tried multiple cameras to find what works for them and honestly for them there selections are probably perfect for what they shoot.

Still, it's not the cost of the equipment that worries us, (though right now we all worry about cost and inflation), but it is what it costs us if the equipment doesn't work.

Though this isn't possible today, after holding three different, brand new medium format cameras I would love to see the lcd of the blad on the ground glass of the hy6 at the price of the Phase.

All of that would get so close to where I think the pinnacle of medium format should go.

JR

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 11:53:25 pm »

I do and did appreciate everything Leaf did to make the Aptus right and I believe today it is very close to right.

Regardless and this isn't just pointed at any one make, all of these cameras have to work right out of the box.

There are a lot of experienced people here and many have tried multiple cameras to find what works for them and honestly for them there selections are probably perfect for what they shoot.

Still, it's not the cost of the equipment that worries us, (though right now we all worry about cost and inflation), but it is what it costs us if the equipment doesn't work.

Though this isn't possible today, after holding three different, brand new medium format cameras I would love to see the lcd of the blad on the ground glass of the hy6 at the price of the Phase.

All of that would get so close to where I think the pinnacle of medium format should go.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196313\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi James

I think it will only be a matter of time before Phase puts a larger LCD screen on there backs.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 11:55:26 pm by mcfoto »
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [
Pages: [1]   Go Up