Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikkor 24 mm f/3.5 PC-E  (Read 17738 times)

Johannes Lietz

• Flickr
Nikkor 24 mm f/3.5 PC-E
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 05:26:31 am »

Quote from: JeffKohn
It's fully functional on a D300, but not other DX cameras. You can use the full amount of tilt or shift in any direction on a D300 without having clearance issues or having to remove the lens to get it into the correct configuration.
This isn't true, actually. I am successfully using the PC-E 24mm on my D90, where it has the same features and operation as it would have on a D3/D700/D300.

You can even use it on the newer D5000 and D3000 with full electronic compatibility, though tilt and shift is really limited here due to the form of the camera body.

kers

• Pieter Kers
Nikkor 24 mm f/3.5 PC-E
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 09:06:54 am »

Quote from: ThomasH_normally
I think that this is the interesting point here: $1900 for a 24mm f3.5 PC lens, as I see it throughout comparable to the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L, which cost so much less, that you can even get a body with this lens for $1900.

This shift lens price case might be just the door to a Canon system for you!

Thomas

What I read from tests is that the new 24mm ts  II  is about as good as the Nikon 24mm PCE-  but the canon lens has a better mechanism that is tighter and has more possibilities..
about the price: Canon 2199$ Nikon 1960$  so Canon is MORE expensive- ( source B&H;   http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=2...tialSearch=yes)

I am a Nikon user and the 24PCE is a very good lens indeed. However it is too cheap - I would like it to be 500$ more expensive with a better mechanism and a larger image circle...
Also I want to use it with a d4x...
What the quality of Nikkors is concerned I think they make excellent lenses the last two years- the 14-24mm is the best wide zoom ever made till 2010 at least...the PCE lenses are very good.
The only lens they should have done better is the 1,4 50mm lens. The AFS is slow! and they should have used Nanocoating- I would have like to spend an extra 100$ to get that done....

About the review of Michael Reichman- I see in the video he is using d16 .
My method is 1: use d3,5 (open) look through the viewfinder and tilt and turn the focus to get it about right    2  live view:  determine what point stays sharp when changing tilt  and make it sharp at 100%  3 turn tilt till the other point is sharp as well    4 fine tune   5 use d11 or whatever you need.

PS  it works better with a Ful frame camera for the viewfinder is so much better...

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
Nikkor 24 mm f/3.5 PC-E
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 11:10:32 am »

Kers,

The guy you were quoting was referring to the original Canon 24 T/S which was allot less than the Nikon. You are quoting a price for the 24 T/S II, the new model, which is twice the price of the old model.......and based on my rather casual testing-the new Canon 24 T/S is a step better in all respects (optics, tilt axis rotation) than the Nikon 24 and waaay  better than the old Canon. I rely on T/S lenses for my business and I was considering jumping to Nikon. I am now very glad I didn't.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 11:14:36 am by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Nikkor 24 mm f/3.5 PC-E
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2009, 12:48:59 pm »

Quote from: JohannesLietz
This isn't true, actually. I am successfully using the PC-E 24mm on my D90, where it has the same features and operation as it would have on a D3/D700/D300.

You can even use it on the newer D5000 and D3000 with full electronic compatibility, though tilt and shift is really limited here due to the form of the camera body.
That's good to hear about the D90, although in my defense you're quoting a post from several months before the D90 was announced.  When I talk about full functionality I mean being able to use the full amount of shift in any direction, and you certainly can't do that with older DX cameras such as the D70/D80/D200/D2x. Makes sense that they would design the D90 to be compatible though, given that it was released after the 24 PC-E.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 12:49:46 pm by JeffKohn »
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up