Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I hate Canon.... :-(  (Read 8567 times)

Yakim Peled

I hate Canon.... :-(
« on: May 15, 2008, 04:00:44 pm »

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-News/

I want a 1D Mk III N. Many want a 5D Mk III. And what do they give us? A Rebel XS/1000D. Now, I know that the big money is in these cameras and I know the D40/D40X/D60 sales are sky-rocketing but come on, is that a good enough reason to disappoint the real EOS enthusiasts?

:-(

Happy shooting,
Yakim.
Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Marlyn

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 08:33:41 pm »

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-News/

I want a 1D Mk III N. Many want a 5D Mk III. And what do they give us? A Rebel XS/1000D. Now, I know that the big money is in these cameras and I know the D40/D40X/D60 sales are sky-rocketing but come on, is that a good enough reason to disappoint the real EOS enthusiasts?

:-(

Happy shooting,
Yakim.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195969\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

At 12.1 MP, can be almost certain that a 40D replacment will be along as well, with same sensor (or at least rez).

Does give some hope for a 5D replacment though.

DonWeston

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 08:12:10 am »

Yakim - no reason to care what Nikon sales are doing really, if you like what you have so be it, OTOH, I would love to see a 5D mark II [III?] if the specs warrant an upgrade, am sure when Canon has something of note, they will release a new camera when warranted, else do we really want a 30D type of upgrade here?? If Nikon appeals to someone, great, been there and done that....YMMV..

Ray

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 11:39:26 am »

Is the Rebel XS/1000D another name for the current 450D which has 12mp?

The main issue with all this secrecy about future products (which I agree is necessary to protect sales of current models) is that it results in some of us buying more cameras than we need.

I recall the 5D was available about 6 months after I bought a 20D. If I'd know that beforehand, I wouldn't have bought the 20D.

If Sony comes out with a 24mp model before Canon produces an upgrade to the 5D, I'll be in a quandary.

francois

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 12:01:37 pm »

Is the Rebel XS/1000D another name for the current 450D which has 12mp?
I think it's a new to-be-announced  low-cost model (1000D).
Francois

Ray

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 01:45:53 pm »

I think it's a new to-be-announced  low-cost model (1000D).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196110\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I thought the 450D was the low cost model, but it figures if Canon is going after the P&S crowd. The 450D doesn't accept compact flash cards because it was aimed at the P&S market. Perhaps they are extending this market drive.

It also figures if America is descending into a recession.

Plekto

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 02:15:44 pm »

If Sony comes out with a 24mp model before Canon produces an upgrade to the 5D, I'll be in a quandary.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196104\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I won't.      

Minolta always made excellent products, and despite Sony's management, they still do.  It is a shame that Canon seems to be punking out lately with more consumer products, but we'll have to wait a couple more years to see if this shift is permanent or a temporary stumble.

Yakim Peled

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 05:19:26 pm »

Don, I actually like the fact that Nikon is doing well.
1.   It gives us customers more alternatives.
2.   It drives Canon to produce better products.
Happy shooting,
Yakim.

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 07:07:57 pm »

It is a shame that Canon seems to be punking out lately with more consumer products, but we'll have to wait a couple more years to see if this shift is permanent or a temporary stumble.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196135\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If there is gold in them thar hills, why wouldn't Canon want to mine it? More profits = more ability to reinvest. Developing the consumer market is not an indicator they are going to abandon their other markets. Quite the opposite. Reeling in large quantities of people with consumer and "prosumer" dSLR cameras just gives a bigger base to draw from to move people up the ladder.

When I got back into photography in December 2006, I did it with a Rebel XTi and the kit lens. Now I've got pro lenses on my prosumer camera and one day they'll sell a higher-end camera to me. But they landed me with the Rebel!

DonWeston

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 10:06:58 am »

JDC - YOU AND most of todays digital newbs are lucky, back in '00-01 I had to start with a D30 for $3300. Don't get me wrong it was a great camera in its day, but it is far less scary today, when $850 gets you into a 12mp dslr and starter lens...it then lets you have more money to upgrade...hehe. If I had only known then how smart Canon was...hooked for sure, don't want to think how much I have spent on upgrading etc since.....

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 01:55:43 pm »

JDC - YOU AND most of todays digital newbs are lucky, back in '00-01 I had to start with a D30 for $3300. Don't get me wrong it was a great camera in its day, but it is far less scary today, when $850 gets you into a 12mp dslr and starter lens...it then lets you have more money to upgrade...hehe. If I had only known then how smart Canon was...hooked for sure, don't want to think how much I have spent on upgrading etc since.....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196552\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Amazing where we are today.

We opened our first digital studios (4 of them) in 1999 using Kodak DSC 520  cameras (I think they were about 2mp) at 12,000 a pop.  In 2000, I bought 2 Kodak DCS 560 (about 6mp) for $26k each.

Ouch.  What was I thinking  

RobertJ

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 02:30:17 am »

To clear things up:
The 450D is the Rebel XSi, and this "1000D" was leaked from the new version of DPP, so word gets around fast.

450D = XSi
Hypothetical 1000D = XS...?

Darn these stupid names.
Pages: [1]   Go Up