Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Phaseone 70mo's  (Read 9498 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Phaseone 70mo's
« on: May 15, 2008, 11:50:07 am »

I was just told by a dealer that the end of the year will bring a 70mp sensor that can also be shot at 35mp for speed by Phaseone. Sounds interesting in that the P45's will get nearer to my price range.

Kevin.
Kevin.

BJNY

Phaseone 70mo's
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 12:02:20 pm »

Edit: Bubble bursted by yaya
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 01:23:51 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

Graham Mitchell

Phaseone 70mo's
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 12:23:08 pm »

I just checked the Dalsa and Kodak websites. No sign of a new chip. I wonder who is making it.

yaya

Phaseone 70mo's
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 01:21:52 pm »

I was just told by a dealer that the end of the year will bring a 70mp sensor that can also be shot at 35mp for speed by Phaseone. Sounds interesting in that the P45's will get nearer to my price range.

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195916\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If I was you I would challenge this dealer to give you a FREE P45 if it doesn't happen

Phaseone 70mo's
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 01:48:56 pm »

Wow, I have no interest at all in a 70MP camera. The raw files would probably be in the 70-120 MB range each?? And everything would just have to be downsized like crazy. Er, no thanks.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 01:49:23 pm by 203 »

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Phaseone 70mo's
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 01:58:57 pm »

If I was you I would challenge this dealer to give you a FREE P45 if it doesn't happen
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195939\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes not a bad idea. He was talking about a recent trip to the factory and what he had been told. Always of course a huge chance he got the wrong end of the stick.

Kevin.
Kevin.

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
Phaseone 70mo's
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 02:33:51 pm »

well it's Photokina year so I suppose we will see something new from our favourite DB brands.
What is possible with the existing chips:
-Better ISO? hope so
-Better screens: I really hope so, but can't see Phase/Leaf/Sinar/Hassy coming with just an updated screen only,
.Wireless shooting finally
Better Moiré for some, better resultats with camera movements for others.
 I think and hope that they announce at least something new, even if it takes another 6 month to ship. Doesn't have to be >40mp chip, just a better one.
But I suppose Photokina wishlists will appear here during the summer break;-)

Tom

jonstewart

Phaseone 70mo's
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 02:57:08 pm »

Rather than going for 70mPixel, in an undisclosed format (could it be larger than the current chips?) would they not be better offering a lower pixelcount multishot system?

I know that multishot has more limited use than single, but it would appear that filesize of the order of 70mpixels may not offer much more than what we have with the P45 / P45+ today, if people feel the need to downsize.

Also, what happens with the demand on the resolution of the glass? Is there glass that can resolve appropriate to this, if it isn't a much bigger (physical) sensor?
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Phaseone 70mo's
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 01:26:47 am »

Hi
I think we will have to wait for Photokina.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

sanvandur

• http://www.santiagovanegas.com
Phaseone 70mo's
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 08:42:50 am »

Back in October a P1 rep mentioned that they are working on a prototype 100MP digital back.
Santiago Vanegas photography at www.santiagovanegas.com

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
Phaseone 70mo's
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 10:13:48 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195939\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yair,

If Leaf ever comes out with a 70mp back will you buy me one?

Actually, I only need 1/2 of one so you can save the other 35mp for a backup.

Thanks

JR

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
Phaseone 70mo's
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 10:38:26 am »

Yair,
If Leaf ever comes out with a 70mp back will you buy me one?

Actually, I only need 1/2 of one so you can save the other 35mp for a backup.

Thanks

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196090\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

39mp  multishot seems all I would ever need... I remember before mfdb.. the scanners were getting very good with 4x5, so much so that I hardly used the 8x10 at all the last year before I switched to db..I know I would like not to pay for that extra 30 odd megapixels.. or the memory to store them.. working on a 1gig layered file is a tad slow for me as it is.
now a real 6x8 sensor with 40mp that would be nice.. maybe someday.

BJL

Phaseone 70mo's
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 12:54:43 pm »

I was just told by a dealer that the end of the year will bring a 70mp sensor that can also be shot at 35mp for speed by Phaseone.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195916\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Some wild speculation: this could be asign of the first CMOS sensor for medium format.

Kodak is promoting its new CMOS sensor capabilities (joint work with IBM and Toshiba I believe), with one option of a cell size (pixel spacing) of about 5 microns and with an offer to make custom sensors up to very large sizes. 70MP in Kodak's current maximum sensor size of about 37x49mm corresponds to about 5 micron cell size. Also, CMOS is far better suited to options of lower resolution at higher frame rates than the Full Frame CCD type of sensors in current medium format.

Then again, Kodak also has a recent interline CCD in 4/3" format with about 4.8 micron cell size and options of binning to lower resolution for higher frame rates, so maybe that technology is being scaled up.

My hunch is that the reduction of feature sizes on sensors is greatly reducing the main advantage of Full Frame CCD architecture over interline CCD and CMOS: the larger fraction of each cell available for electron well. So Kodak might be moving to interline CCD and/or CMOS for some high end sensors. If so, DMF could get improved Live View: nice for computer control in the studio?

Absence of any such new sensor from the Kodak or Dalsa websites does not say much: Kodak has in the past sometimes developed a new sensor in collaboration with a primary client, and then announced it for general sale only when that client's products is announced.

Ray

Phaseone 70mo's
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 01:37:04 pm »

Well, I have the camera and the lenses just waiting for a full frame 6x7cm, 70mp sensor. I reckon the lenses are not good enough for a seriously cropped 36x48mm format. I'm prepared to wait   .

yaya

Phaseone 70mo's
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 01:52:01 pm »

Some wild speculation: this could be asign of the first CMOS sensor for medium format.

Ahm...you mean the Leaf C-Most from 2000 and its successor the Valeo 6?

Anyone for a bet that there is NOT going to be a 70MP back any time this year?

RobertJ

Phaseone 70mo's
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 05:26:48 pm »

Wow, I have no interest at all in a 70MP camera.

That may be true for most people with 39MP at their hands, but I'm sure landscape photographers would be quite happy with 70MP.  Storage for those large files is cheap, IMO.

70MP would give you approximately a 24x32 inch print @ 300dpi straight out of the camera, with no enlarging.  That's about 7200x9600 pixels.  I admit, I wouldn't mind having that much resolution.

It's a pretty good jump in print size, from 18x24 inches that 39MP gives you, but of course, you need a lot more MP than 70 to double the resolution that 39MP provides.

And then what happens when we get full-frame 645?  Of course, the MP race will continue, well past 70MP...

Graham Mitchell

Phaseone 70mo's
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 06:06:53 pm »

That may be true for most people with 39MP at their hands, but I'm sure landscape photographers would be quite happy with 70MP.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Landscape photographers already have a 160 MP solution:
[a href=\"http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/application/d438/d925/f934.cfm]http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/...8/d925/f934.cfm[/url]

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Phaseone 70mo's
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 06:23:51 pm »

Wow 70mpix!  To think I was so happy with my 4.3 megapixel 1D when it first came out....then again I had that happy smile with the 1Ds, Leica DMR, and lastly with the Rollei 6008/p20.  But you know and I know we'll all want more even if what we have now can get the job done.  

It will be interesting to see how as the internet takes over magazines, newspapers and TV  and if and when the need for high pixel still images changes?

That may be true for most people with 39MP at their hands, but I'm sure landscape photographers would be quite happy with 70MP.  Storage for those large files is cheap, IMO.

70MP would give you approximately a 24x32 inch print @ 300dpi straight out of the camera, with no enlarging.  That's about 7200x9600 pixels.  I admit, I wouldn't mind having that much resolution.

It's a pretty good jump in print size, from 18x24 inches that 39MP gives you, but of course, you need a lot more MP than 70 to double the resolution that 39MP provides.

And then what happens when we get full-frame 645?  Of course, the MP race will continue, well past 70MP...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196160\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Rolleiflex USA

woof75

Phaseone 70mo's
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 07:37:43 am »

Wow 70mpix!  To think I was so happy with my 4.3 megapixel 1D when it first came out....then again I had that happy smile with the 1Ds, Leica DMR, and lastly with the Rollei 6008/p20.  But you know and I know we'll all want more even if what we have now can get the job done.  

It will be interesting to see how as the internet takes over magazines, newspapers and TV  and if and when the need for high pixel still images changes?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196168\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I don't, I don't want anymore than my 18mp. I want a better screen, better dr, faster shooting, lighter weight. I want a mamiya 7 with around a nice big 18mp ccd chip in it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 07:37:57 am by woof75 »

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
Phaseone 70mo's
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 08:15:49 am »

get ZD camera:)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up