Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1DsmkIII The truth  (Read 16171 times)

SeanFS

• http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2008, 09:30:22 pm »

Shot my first job with it on Wednesday.
I need to make shure I have not got rose coloured glasses on, being a new camera I can start seeing WOW in the images. Right now I'm thinking I can see more robust natural colour with an increased ability to recover highlight detail and more detail given more separation  to objects so more depth. As I say it might be Rose coloured glasses syndrome.

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197423\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No , I reckon there is something in that. Used mine in a dimly lit boiler room the other day . the colour and DR really holds all the way to 3200asa , which is very clean for that speed. much better than I thought it would be despite looking at online samples. In fact I did some shots on a tripod as well at 200 asa and really had to look hard at 100% on screen to see the difference.
I did a commercial portrait shoot with studio flash the next day and didn't really have to do much computer work. With the 1ds2 it needs more saturation and contrast ( possibly due to a slightly bigger dynamic range than the mk 3 at 100 - 400 asa  ) applied .
I'm still struggling with the handling changes but the live view is a definite plus for composition. why isn't there a grid in the viewfinder as well ? the Kodak 14n had one. I'm also using the live view button as the mirror up button - not sure that was the intention but it is convenient.
The down load speeds to computer seemed relatively slow compared to the mk 2 firewire. I went down to the local electronics store and bought a 5 metre active usb extension cable which solved that problem very nicely.

21mp is all good , but comparing to my relatively ancient 22mp  132c Imacon and antidiluvian ELX and CF lenses, the fine detail crispness isn't quite there  - probably the AA filter , still the Canon is very good indeed.
But yes  - maybe we are getting over the new digital camera syndrome. I feel I could have lived with the  mk 2 for a while yet ( just shows what a good camera that one is / was )

geotzo

• http://www.georgetzortzis.com
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2008, 02:55:33 am »

I have mine since January 2008 and had no issues. Lens used, 17-40, 24-70, 70-200, 16-35

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2008, 02:45:40 pm »

No , I reckon there is something in that. Used mine in a dimly lit boiler room the other day . the colour and DR really holds all the way to 3200asa , which is very clean for that speed. much better than I thought it would be despite looking at online samples. In fact I did some shots on a tripod as well at 200 asa and really had to look hard at 100% on screen to see the difference.
I did a commercial portrait shoot with studio flash the next day and didn't really have to do much computer work. With the 1ds2 it needs more saturation and contrast ( possibly due to a slightly bigger dynamic range than the mk 3 at 100 - 400 asa  ) applied .
I'm still struggling with the handling changes but the live view is a definite plus for composition. why isn't there a grid in the viewfinder as well ? the Kodak 14n had one. I'm also using the live view button as the mirror up button - not sure that was the intention but it is convenient.
The down load speeds to computer seemed relatively slow compared to the mk 2 firewire. I went down to the local electronics store and bought a 5 metre active usb extension cable which solved that problem very nicely.

21mp is all good , but comparing to my relatively ancient 22mp  132c Imacon and antidiluvian ELX and CF lenses, the fine detail crispness isn't quite there  - probably the AA filter , still the Canon is very good indeed.
But yes  - maybe we are getting over the new digital camera syndrome. I feel I could have lived with the  mk 2 for a while yet ( just shows what a good camera that one is / was )
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197975\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had a Kodak  and wondered why no one does a grid like that. I also thought the live view button would make a good mirror up. As I shoot mostly from Aircraft that isn't a priority for me.
I am more impressed with the sMKIII than I thought I would be.

Kevin.
Kevin.

kariylit

1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2008, 08:24:46 am »

not a single problem with my dsmk3, simply a real workhorse you can trust. And imagequality is really great
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up